What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Where Will CU's Defense Rank in 2015?

Looking at the scoring defense from 2014 and comparing it to 2013, there were 2 teams (West Virginia and SJSU) that were >100 in scoring defense in 2013 to the 80's in 2014. On average last year, teams ranked 1.52 (not really unexpected really) spots lower than they did the previous year with a stdev of 36.3 spots better. One team dropped 105 spots (Bowling Green) and one team improved 83 spots (Air Force). Overall, 28 out of 127 teams improved by 30 spots or more from 2013 to 2014.

Any given team has about a 20.1% chance of improving 30 spots or more.
Any given team has about a 28.8% chance of improving 20 spots or more.
Any given team has about a 39.0% chance of improving 10 spots or more.

SzU0RE7.png

So while optimistic, not wildly out there.
good job with the stats.

about right.

On paper, with Samson, and the JC guys we got stronger and deeper up the middle.
Getting Bell back and White having some experience should put us in much better shape at safety (we got ridiculously thin there last year).

But not sure we addressed the lack of a pass rush and questionable LB play and even thinner depth at the position. A year older there helps a bit.

So on paper, I'm pretty much with Duff. On paper.

Wildcard: Leavitt is an emotional freak and fires up a veteran unit and iwe shock the world!

Head says 88th
Heart says 55th

about right.

On paper, with Samson, and the JC guys we got stronger and deeper up the middle.
Getting Bell back and White having some experience should put us in much better shape at safety (we got ridiculously thin there last year).

But not sure we addressed the lack of a pass rush and questionable LB play and even thinner depth at the position. A year older there helps a bit.

So on paper, I'm pretty much with Duff. On paper.

Wildcard: Leavitt is an emotional freak and fires up a veteran unit and iwe shock the world!

Head says 88th
Heart says 55th

Leavitt will have a great impact on the LB play. LB is a position that takes a player with smarts but still the "run through a brick wall" mentality. Leavitt will get the guys in that zone. Also, our LBs were reacting too early last year, abandoning their assigned gaps to try and make a play and this led to countless long runs after a quick cut back (see Dee Hart, DJ Foster, Nick Wilson, Buck Allen...ughh). After those backs got by the first level their was no one to stop them until they got to the secondary. This can, and hopefully will, be improved by solid coaching and scheme.

Hopefully, the change in the Pac 12 quarterback hierarchy will result in, maybe, a bit weaker offenses that we face?

I don't give a **** about yardage outside a few key indicators.
Mostly agree. Its "unfair" to good defense that intentionally set up as "bend but don't break". Scoring is where it is really at.

However, I may have been more frustrated with VO's "3rd and long can be converted with a 80+% average" than anything we have seen recently. Now we are just plain bad. Back then, it was preventable with a better schematic approach.

More than just the mentality change that JL will bring to the defense, the more tangible effect that we should see is just better defensive play calls for the situation, more well designed blitz packages, having the right personnel on the field, etc. There's a true art to calling a defense by knowing the other teams' tendencies in various situations and calling the right plays that puts the players in position to stop the play. To me, that's the majority of the battle right there, with the rest being the player being good enough to actually make the play when put in the right position.

good job with the stats.
Thanks, I enjoy doing that kind of stuff. I should really find a position where I can do sport analytics for a job instead of where I'm at now :lol:

I would be interested to see how the P% changes as more years are added to the data, because that STDEV is huge for just one year. Maybe later in the Summer.

Thanks, I enjoy doing that kind of stuff. I should really find a position where I can do sport analytics for a job instead of where I'm at now :lol:

I would be interested to see how the P% changes as more years are added to the data, because that STDEV is huge for just one year. Maybe later in the Summer.
Rep to the graph young one, but I would love to see where Leavitt's defenses have ranked historically at KSU and USF.

This is the Buffs, so I keep my expectations modest to low. I think they move up into the 80s, but if they can make the quantum improvement the O did last year, I think we go bowling.

Rep to the graph young one, but I would love to see where Leavitt's defenses have ranked historically at KSU and USF.

USF (2004-2009 pts/game) As far back as ESPN stats would go

2004 - 94th - 31.9
2005 - 14th - 18.4
2006 - 24th - 17.8
2007 - 26th - 20.7
2008 - 30th - 20.5
2009 - 19th - 19.8

USF (2004-2009 pts/game) As far back as ESPN stats would go

2004 - 94th - 31.9
2005 - 14th - 18.4
2006 - 24th - 17.8
2007 - 26th - 20.7
2008 - 30th - 20.5
2009 - 19th - 19.8

That's impressive. Realizing, of course, he wasn't coaching in the PAC12...but even if we did "twice as poorly" as his 2008 stats...that would rank us 60th. That would be amazing and he should get the DC of the year award.

I just want to see better organization and aggression and a lot more turn overs. I don't want to be sitting in the stands thinking, "Oh ****, here comes our defense." I'm sick of that feeling.

Back