What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Which conference is more likely to break apart: ACC or Big 12?

ACC or Big 12 the weaker conference?

• ACC more likely to break apart

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • Big 12 more likely to break apart

Votes: 53 73.6%

• Total voters
They've played the red river showdown one hundred and eight times. It's played on a neutral site (cotton bowl), and the crowd is as close to 50/50 as you will ever see in any stadium. Both teams are more closely tied to that game than they are to any of their "traditional" in-conference rivalries (see NU, ATM).

108 times. We haven't played ANY team that many times. Hell, Michigan and tOSU have only played 2 more times than that, and Army - Navy has been played a grand total of 6 more times.

They may go back to separate conferences if the B12 has more upheaval, but, yeah they're tied together.

I get that, and it's kind of my point - they've kept it together out of conference for so long that it seems like they don't NEED to be in the same conference. So when everyone says that OU and UT MUST stay together, that's crap...they'll keep scheduling each other (or they just won't care a la aTm).

I get that, and it's kind of my point - they've kept it together out of conference for so long that it seems like they don't NEED to be in the same conference. So when everyone says that OU and UT MUST stay together, that's crap...they'll keep scheduling each other (or they just won't care a la aTm).
I generally agree, but one point where we might differ is how okie lite plays in to it. Bedlam also has a 108 year history. I don't think OU lets either of those games go, and you can't be locked into two OOC games. So, I'm pretty sure that if/when another realignment hits that wherever OU ends up, they bring one of either OSU or UT with them. (I also think they'd really prefer to have both games in conference for the OOC scheduling flexibility, but they could live with just one.)

I don't want anything but a PAC 12 but have a feeling that 14-16 team conference happens sooner than later.
Wonder what happens to Kansas ? Great basketball and imagine KU hoops in the same conference as Zona and UCLA. Yes their football sucks
but they did go a BCS game more recently than CU.

I don't want anything but a PAC 12 but have a feeling that 14-16 team conference happens sooner than later.

People keep saying this, yet leave out why they think so. Is it just because the SEC and BiG appear to be going in that direction? What bearing do those conference expansions have on us? None.

Sacky, I believe the PAC-12 would love to be in the Central Time Zone. Exposure is the key word here. I mean, the deal with DirecTV is going nowhere, so think of realistic ways the dial gets moved.

Duff is correct. It is all about footprint and viewers. Texassssss would be a huge prize for the PAC and they have made a run at ut twice. Texasssss, absent a total collapse of the b12, will come with baggage in the form of at least one and maybe as many as 3 other texasssss schools.

Duff is correct. It is all about footprint and viewers. Texassssss would be a huge prize for the PAC and they have made a run at ut twice. Texasssss, absent a total collapse of the b12, will come with baggage in the form of at least one and maybe as many as 3 other texasssss schools.

and their own TV network.

I don't understand why we would want to be in the Central Time Zone. That's a crowded market. You have members of all the other major conferences in the Central Time Zone. I don't see how that really helps us. You don't expand just because you want your network on DirecTV. What you do, in my opinion, is tie up your own market and make sure nobody else comes in. The Pac 12 already owns half the country. Expansion into the Central Time zone is chasing a diminishing return.

I don't understand why we would want to be in the Central Time Zone. That's a crowded market. You have members of all the other major conferences in the Central Time Zone. I don't see how that really helps us. You don't expand just because you want your network on DirecTV. What you do, in my opinion, is tie up your own market and make sure nobody else comes in. The Pac 12 already owns half the country. Expansion into the Central Time zone is chasing a diminishing return.

Central time zone allows games as early as 11 a.m. CDT - Noon EDT- Pac 12 would have games on TV for 12+ hours straight.
You don't think Stanford at OU wouldn't be watched?

Central time zone allows games as early as 11 a.m. CDT - Noon EDT- Pac 12 would have games on TV for 12+ hours straight.
You don't think Stanford at OU wouldn't be watched?

No P12 game in the middle of the day will EVAR be on TV on the east coast. At Noon E people are tailgating an SEC/ACC/B12 game or they're on their way to one. You would get viewers though if we had a 7am kickoff. :lol:

I'm amused. I see a lot of "I don't want expansion, but..." It seems nobody wants expansion. So why are we even discussing it? We don't want it. The PTB in the PAC12 don't want it. Truth be told, UT and OU really aren't interested in coming here anyway. Yet here we are, rehashing a subject that has been over hashed. The horse is dead, folks. Stop beating the sh*t out of it.

Whether you want it to happen or not, it is an intriguing subject, especially in the off season. Any change that impacts scheduling and recruiting so fundamentally as conference realignment is always going to fascinating to serious fans of the sport.

I'm quite pleased with the current situation and where my teams currently are aligned, but I'm also quite interested to see if VT gets an SEC invite or if the B1G is going to try to poach the Tarheels next.

Intriguing, for sure. Ridiculous as well. But we do ridiculous like champs on allbuffs.

Ridiculous is Maryland in the B1G this year and Notre Dame locked in for a decade with the ACC as its only option if it wants to join a conference for football. Nebraska in the B1G. Missouri in the SEC. West Virginia in the Big 12.

None of that would have been something any of would have predicted in the 1990s. 20 years later, it's a reality. And now we're in the midst of a huge change to how the NCAA is governed for D1 along with major shifts in media and the first year of seeing how a D1 football playoff works. That gives me zero confidence that we have now reached stability and won't see more realignment.

they have a focused, funded national merit scholar program to keep the best kids in state (insofar as it's possible), an Honors program that is apparently pretty good....CU has none of that. i worked at CU for a decade, there is no plan at CU. just the same administrators driving Saabs, taking ski fridays, and getting fat on out of state tuition in a bad economy has generally been CU's "plan" for the last 30 years or so.

They have implemented changes the last two years starting with the esteemed scholars program. There are a few others but this was the big one.

http://www.colorado.edu/scholarships/esteemed-scholars

No P12 game in the middle of the day will EVAR be on TV on the east coast.

It would be if any of the teams taken from the Central Time zone are worth a damn.... you know Texas, Oklahoma, etc. No one is talking like the P12 would take Kansas State or Iowa State.

It would be if any of the teams taken from the Central Time zone are worth a damn.... you know Texas, Oklahoma, etc. No one is talking like the P12 would take Kansas State or Iowa State.

I wonder if Nebraska would leave the B1G.

Honestly, I couldn't think of much better for a CU fan than if the Pac-12 added Nebraska and made them CU's paired rival. Maybe add Boise State and pair Boise State with them (under a 5 hour drive).

That's a scenario we don't hear mentioned as a possibility but would add a ton of value with better rivalry match ups.

Honestly, I couldn't think of much better for a CU fan than if the Pac-12 added Nebraska and made them CU's paired rival. Maybe add Boise State and pair Boise State with them (under a 5 hour drive).

That's a scenario we don't hear mentioned as a possibility but would add a ton of value with better rivalry match ups.

Do you sit up at night and dream up sh*t like this? :lol:

Now you are just talking crazy.

kNU isn't leaving the B1G and Boise isn't getting an invite to the PAC.

Do you sit up at night and dream up sh*t like this? :lol:

:lol:

Random thought. I do miss the Thanksgiving game and the Nebraska rivalry. Frankly, I miss a lot of the Big 8. I loved that conference despite CU being a geographic outlier and a lot of ****ty travel destinations. I wouldn't go back, but maybe there are pieces that can carry forward. Really, who the **** knows how this will all shake out?

But, yeah, I'm spitballing here and talking out my ass.

Random thought. I do miss the Thanksgiving game and the Nebraska rivalry.

If this is going to be a fan fiction thread, I'm totally suggesting a return to Pac 8 and Big 8 as divisions in a 16 team conference. Imagine that CCG.

Also, who just saw MD settled with the ACC for a $31 million exit penalty. Money was exactly what the ACC had already withheld. So basically no one has been able to collect more than TC rights money withheld, though maybe schools like Nevada and Fresno had to pay the WAC.

Random thought. I do miss the Thanksgiving game and the Nebraska rivalry. Frankly, I miss a lot of the Big 8. I loved that conference despite CU being a geographic outlier and a lot of ****ty travel destinations. I wouldn't go back, but maybe there are pieces that can carry forward. Really, who the **** knows how this will all shake out?

I'm with you. We did the right thing leaving, but I miss playing all the Big 8 teams. I have not yet developed any interest in watching PAC games outside of CU. I don't care one way or another about any of the teams. And the game times blow.

There are so few fans of P12 teams on the east coast that no broadcaster is going put on a P12 game over putting on Alabama Auburn Georgia Florida Miami Florida State Clemson Tenn LSU SC BC ND tOSU or Mich. P12 games get on out east if and only if they are on the p12 network. If the game on is good people will then tune in as their home team is routing or being routed. Oklahoma and Nebraska however, do get air on the east coast.

What would be ideal is for TV to be governed by the NCAA and the whole kit and kabuddle for the entire country to be broadcast on 8-12 cable channels all day long. Then you could watch whatever you wanted.

The old conferences were set up for geographic convenience before there were planes or TV revenue. They're not relevant today because creating TV super conferences is the rule of the day.

The old conferences were set up for geographic convenience before there were planes or TV revenue. They're not relevant today because creating TV super conferences is the rule of the day.

For sure.

It's a weird setup, though. Since the money flows through conferences instead of through the NCAA, it makes sense for multiple conferences to have teams in Texas or Florida or Pennsylvania or <insert other big state>.

The Pac-12 may be shaping up as the exception to that by controlling all of P5 football for the Mountain and Pacific time zones into eternity. That's a great strength and it's also a weakness.

Sometimes I think the conference should double down on this. It's not like the Pac is ever going to sprawl across the nation like the other four P5s do. So why not just lock down our area with SDSU, New Mexico, Boise State and UNLV. They'd take a smaller revenue share for a bunch of years, it would fill the map, and it would secure ownership of basketball as well as football in half the county (the half that's growing the fastest).

For sure.

It's a weird setup, though. Since the money flows through conferences instead of through the NCAA, it makes sense for multiple conferences to have teams in Texas or Florida or Pennsylvania or .

The Pac-12 may be shaping up as the exception to that by controlling all of P5 football for the Mountain and Pacific time zones into eternity. That's a great strength and it's also a weakness.

Sometimes I think the conference should double down on this. It's not like the Pac is ever going to sprawl across the nation like the other four P5s do. So why not just lock down our area with SDSU, New Mexico, Boise State and UNLV. They'd take a smaller revenue share for a bunch of years, it would fill the map, and it would secure ownership of basketball as well as football in half the county (the half that's growing the fastest).

I agree that we should double down in our current geographic footprint instead of going outside it. The future of this country lies in the west. The growth is there and certainly not in the central time zone. Las Vegas Boise San Diego and Albuquerque are the currently untapped p12 markets that could be used to shore up penetration. Our games are already on in all those markets except ABQ which tends to look east to Texas.

Texas is a huge TV market but probably chaffs at being associated with liberals in the west. I think if UT ever jumps it will want to join A&M in the sec. It's clearly the prize though. And it probably gets the p12 a tad more TV time in the east. But we've tried to date that girl before and she's proven to be too much of a prima Donna for our relaxed western ways.

Personally, that failed deal where every p12 schools played 1 OOC game against B1G every year would have gotten the job done much more effectively. This is the alliance I think LS should pursue maybe eventually merging the two TV networks into one. It has a nice traditional feel to it.

I agree that we should double down in our current geographic footprint instead of going outside it. The future of this country lies in the west. The growth is there and certainly not in the central time zone. Las Vegas Boise San Diego and Albuquerque are the currently untapped p12 markets that could be used to shore up penetration. Our games are already on in all those markets except ABQ which tends to look east to Texas.

Texas is a huge TV market but probably chaffs at being associated with liberals in the west. I think if UT ever jumps it will want to join A&M in the sec. It's clearly the prize though. And it probably gets the p12 a tad more TV time in the east. But we've tried to date that girl before and she's proven to be too much of a prima Donna for our relaxed western ways.

Personally, that failed deal where every p12 schools played 1 OOC game against B1G every year would have gotten the job done much more effectively. This is the alliance I think LS should pursue maybe eventually merging the two TV networks into one. It has a nice traditional feel to it.
Texas being Texas, they would probably join any conference but the SEC if they were forced to move because joining the SEC would be admitting aTm was right.

What would be ideal is for TV to be governed by the NCAA and the whole kit and kabuddle for the entire country to be broadcast on 8-12 cable channels all day long. Then you could watch whatever you wanted.
At one time the NCAA did govern all of the TV for college football. If I remember right it was the Big 8, (led by OU) that launched the lawsuit to kill that arrangement because it was so bad for so many schools (including us). Or, in other words, the NCAA ****ed up so badly the last time they were given the bag of goodies that is college football tv rights that they will never be allowed to be in charge of it ever again...

At one time the NCAA did govern all of the TV for college football. If I remember right it was the Big 8, (led by OU) that launched the lawsuit to kill that arrangement because it was so bad for so many schools (including us). Or, in other words, the NCAA ****ed up so badly the last time they were given the bag of goodies that is college football tv rights that they will never be allowed to be in charge of it ever again...

My point was more taking TV away from the networks on a contractual basis and creating a college network of channels.

Back