What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Who are the potential All-Conference Buffs for 2012?

Duff Man

Club Member
Club Member
Junta Member
Most of the time, football comes down to matchups and whether a team has the difference makers to exploit matchups in their favor. What players are the potential All-PAC 12 players (i.e, difference makers) on this year's team?

Offense
David Bahktiari: Arguably the best player on the entire team, he is coming off a second-team All-PAC 12 sophomore season and should only get better as he enters his third year as a full-time starter.
Tony Jones: This might be a year early, but Jones will get every opportunity to succeed at RB and he is also a pretty good receiver out of the backfield.

Defense
Will Pericak: The most versatile defensive lineman on the roster, he will be relied on heavily to help bring along several true freshmen. He is a high motor player who is the epitome of the type of player Embree wants on this team.
Chidera Uzo-Diribe: This might be a year early, but he is our best pass rusher. That can go a long ways toward success in a pass-heavy league.
Jon Major: He has shown flashes throughout his career, but injuries have always popped up to slow development. If healthy, he will play as much as anyone on the defense. A true three-down player.
Doug Rippy: He was well on his way to achieving accolades as a junior before tearing his ACL. A player that "looks the part," if he shows anywhere near what he did pre-injury, the Buffs should be solid on defense.
Ray Polk: Polk will complete a largely uneven career (to date) as he enters his third season as a starter at safety. As the elder statesman of the secondary, he will be counted on to be the leader of a young group. Is this the year where he puts it all together and becomes a consistent playmaker?

Not very many bold picks, but do not let me discourage you.:wink2:

yikes. just yikes. that is a bad list. We need 2 or 3 more to appear.

here is one:

Parker Orms. When healthy, all he does is make plays.

i think henderson has a chance to be a great one--- he did very well as a true frosh. hell, he was the best player in the secondary for some of the games toward the end of the season. if he takes another step forward this year, he could be a star for us.

I'll put up a wishful thinking pick: Gerald Thomas for winning an Offense newcomer award. We need someone with speed to pick up the slack...

We'll get a handful of guys on the freshman all-conference team... Bahktiari will probably be the only Buff on the main team. Conner Wood for Newcomer of the Year.

You're that un-confident in Wood that you think he's not going to be worth a damn?

I never said that I thought he won't be worth a damn. I've just heard that Webb can run and I'm thinking we might desperately need that at the QB position next year. I'm trying to be optimistic and give myself some hope for next season. I realize that I might be grasping at straws, but it really sucks to start the season without being hopeful.

Last edited:
Do you honestly have a reason besides hype to think he is a sure fire thing to start?
All the 1st team snaps this spring which means lack of anyone stepping up so far to warrant taking the snaps away from him and I doubt Webb can sufficiently learn the playbook in time for the CSU game. The vast majority of the fanbase believes Wood will be the starter, why would we think any different?

All the 1st team snaps this spring which means lack of anyone stepping up so far to warrant taking the snaps away from him and I doubt Webb can sufficiently learn the playbook in time for the CSU game. The vast majority of the fanbase believes Wood will be the starter, why would we think any different?

You put way too much stock in 'learning the playbook.' You know, Wood is new too, right?

You put way too much stock in 'learning the playbook.' You know, Wood is new too, right?
Yes but he's been in the system and around the playbook and watching film since August, Webb will just be getting here in the summer and hasn't had that. If Webb can come in and pull a Russell Wilson, that's fine with me. I just want the best players to be on the field.

EVERYONE ELSE BELIEVES IT is not a persuasive argument.

1. Wood is getting all the first team snaps by default because of injury.
  2. Hirchman still has more experience in the offense.
  3. Recently Rip Scherer said Schrock had the best grasp of the offense.
  4. Halfway through Spring ball, the coaches went out and got a QB transfer - not exactly a huge vote of confidence in Wood OR Hirchman.
  5. The coaches have steadfastly refused to say anything about Wood. Which could be a ploy to keep the image of a legit fall QB competition alive, OR is a vote of non-confidence. Or it is both.
  6. Shane Dillon isn't on campus yet, and he has been promised a chance to start right away.
  7. Webb has actual experience and can play at this level, even if it appears he has a low ceiling.
  8. There is every indication that there will be a legit competition for QB1 this fall.

I miss any?

So who do you think you will be the starting QB this fall?
What does it matter what I believe? Don't change the topic of discussion, which is the weakness of your argument that Wood is the pre-ordained starter. Sometimes you just lose tini.

What does it matter what I believe? Don't change the topic of discussion, which is the weakness of your argument that Wood is the pre-ordained starter. Sometimes you just lose tini.
Why can't you just answer the question? Embree has maintained all spring that every Freshman has the chance to start, why would that be any different for Shane and the QB position?

Tini will never ever admit that he is wrong or stop making excuses.

Tini will never ever admit that he is wrong or stop making excuses.
Yes I will but how am I wrong here believing that Wood will be the starter come September? Please, if you can give me some legit reasons that change my mind, I will admit I am wrong.

Yes I will but how am I wrong here believing that Wood will be the starter come September? Please, if you can give me some legit reasons that change my mind, I will admit I am wrong.

No one knows what is going to happen so I can't prove anything, obviously. But snow outlined a bunch of reasons above to point to the fact that it might not necessarily be a shoe-in for wood.

I do not think it is a sure thing Wood is the starter, but I would give it at least an 80% chance it ends up that way. That said (and trying to get back on the topic:smile2:), I think we all know there is not an All-PAC 12 QB on the roster for this season. If it ends that way, forget about any negativity this offseason.

I can give you legit reasons, but that doesn't mean they will change your mind. I'm just saying that your blanket assumption may be resting on little more than a foundation of hype.

I also note that I did give you reasons, in fact, a list of them. Those were facts. You seem to be wanting my opinion, which is not a fact. You seem to be basing your opinion on hype, which, by the way, is a collection of other people's opinions.

Try facts Tini. They help you not be wrong.

Back