What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Who are your top 3 CU football players and why?

My board started as top 3 for a page or two followed by "f*ck you flukes...can't do only 3" so feel to post whatever you want but if you can't limit it to 3, I understand. This is a post that revolves around pride in your school and those who honored your program for various reasons. Still, I'd like to think that posters can justify their reasons for the rankings of their choices. So, whatever you post, make it count and provide some commentary please...

CU alumni starts and ends with Byron Whizzer White in my opinion. I was no where close to being able to watch him play, but he brings a lot of pride not just to the football program, but the entire school.

Cliff Branch was special, and arguably had the best pro career of any Buff.

Alfred Williams is a college football HOFer, and one of the proudest Buffs around. I can't stand him on the radio, nor is he anywhere close on my all-time list, but he is a great Buff.

Honorable Mentions go to some personal favorites based on their play: Chris Hudson, Matt Russell, Michael Lewis, Eric Bienemy, Phil Savoy, Mike Moschetti, Joel Steed, Kordell Stewart, Lamont Warren, Charles Johnson (WR) and Chad Brown; as well players I just have a lot of respect for: Jim Hansen and Joe Romig for being Rhodes Scholars, and John Hessler.

But one of my all-time favorite Buffs is one I never got to see play. Tyrone Tiger Bussey. May he and Sal Aunese RIP.

Byron Whizzer White. He left CU to play in the NFL and ultimately was nominated by JFK to become a justice on the supreme court.

Jim Hansen. All Big 8 tackle, team captain, and played on the National Championship team. Hansen is one of four CU football players to become a Rhodes Scholar. (Joe Romig, Clayton White and George Carlton are the others)

Brian Cabral. From a CU player and team captain on the 1977 orange bowl squad to the 85 Bears Superbowl team, Cabral is Mr.Linebacker. He coached up All-Americans (3): Jordon Dizon (Butkus Award runner-up), Roman Hollowell (punt returner), Matt Russell (Butkus Award winner). All-Big Eight/12 Performers (7): Greg Biekert, Chad Brown, Dizon, Hollowell, Ted Johnson (Butkus Award runner-up), Michael Jones, Russell. Big 12 Defensive Players of the Year (1): Dizon. Big 12 Defensive Newcomers of the Year (1): Dizon. NFL Players/Draft Picks (10): Biekert, Brown, Dizon, Johnson, Ron Merkerson, Hannibal Navies, Russell, Jashon Sykes, Sean Tufts, Drew Wahlroos. He is a living link from CU coaches Bill Mallory, Bill McCartney, Rick Neuhiesel, Gary Barnett, Dan Hawkins and John Embree, and has answered the call of duty as interim head coach a couple of times himself. Cabral is a Buffalo through and through.

Last edited by a moderator:
No love for Dick and Bobby Anderson? They were the key to our resurgence during the Crowder era.

Marlon Barnes-he was hurt quite a bit, but I enjoyed watching him run-especially in 98. Made it to the league, ever-so-briefly.
Kordell Stewart-hail mary.
Rashaan Saalam-one of the best college players.

Runners up: Ben Kelly, Gurode, Koy Detmer

My favorite to rarely play? Kevin Moyd. Just can't help but feel he could have contributed had Hawk not come along...he stuck it out, despite the coaching change and knowing Hawk wasn't going to give him a decent chance (this is all from the outside looking in).

Last edited:
Rae Carruth, Michael Westbrook, Ben Kelly.

In basketball: Chauncey, Alec Burks or Cory Higgins, Preston Slaughter.

Greg biekert one of the best to come out of cu and from the state
Alfred williams he was fun to watch get after the qb
Chad brown great all around player

I cant just pick 3 and Im going by players I enjoyed watching the most. Westbrook, Biekert, Salaam, Grahamn, Stewart, Figures, C. Johnson (wr), A. Williams, B. Kelly, Hudson, T. Johnson, Purify and Brown, Pritchard, Chad Brown, Fauria, Vickers and Drumm, Wolfork(sp), Kanavis, Dizon, Speedy, M. Lewis, Crosby(yes a k lol), Steed, Clavelle, Russell, Hagan, etc. I didnt forget the oline, we had some great ones over the years, just too long to list. I could actually write down alot more but thats a solid list. Makes me sad, CU was up there with the best programs in the country with alot of those. Those red bastards kept us from at least one more nat. title. Wrote that on my phone last night out in the middle of nowhere, sorry it was all ****ed up. I didnt write it that way but it posted that way lol.

Last edited:
Lots of good choices.

Charles Johnson (WR) Made insane things happen. Hagan, Bienemy, and Westbrook. The four of them made for a lot of excitement. Lately, Bloom, Scotty, and Hypolite.

Hypolite became a favorite when he was dancing at the line of scrimmage before the end of the first half against OU while he was waiting for them to break the huddle. He knew before anyone that we were gonna win, and he showed it to OU.

My board started as top 3 for a page or two followed by "f*ck you flukes......
So, we're not the only fan board that tells you what to do with yourself? Interesting.

Some favs:

Jordan Dizon -- the buzz when he committed was basically, "great, another slow 2/3* running back." When he arrived that summer, the coaches couldn't keep him off the field.

Jashon Sykes -- attitude, attitude, attitude. One announcer described him as, "he gets there fast and arrives angry".

Cliff Branch -- struck absolute fear in the hearts of opposing coaches. Great pro as well.

Marquez Herrod -- the saga of his youth is a horror story; at one point, homeless and living on the streets. It's amazing how much he overcame to make himself a good student and athlete, and then get the chance to go to college on a FB scholarship. In the cruelest twist of fate, he chose the Buffs during the DII Danny days. I believe it was Herrod who had words with the snake oil salesman and it resulted in him not seeing the field. Even that couldn't make him quit. I hope this young man is doing well wherever he is now.

So, we're not the only fan board that tells you what to do with yourself? Interesting.

Some favs:

Jordan Dizon -- the buzz when he committed was basically, "great, another slow 2/3* running back." When he arrived that summer, the coaches couldn't keep him off the field.

Jashon Sykes -- attitude, attitude, attitude. One announcer described him as, "he gets there fast and arrives angry".

Cliff Branch -- struck absolute fear in the hearts of opposing coaches. Great pro as well.

Marquez Herrod -- the saga of his youth is a horror story; at one point, homeless and living on the streets. It's amazing how much he overcame to make himself a good student and athlete, and then get the chance to go to college on a FB scholarship. In the cruelest twist of fate, he chose the Buffs during the DII Danny days. I believe it was Herrod who had words with the snake oil salesman and it resulted in him not seeing the field. Even that couldn't make him quit. I hope this young man is doing well wherever he is now.
+1

Hagan, Pritchard, McGee.

So many others including, but not limited to, Kelly, Graham, Lewis, Russell, Biekert, Figures, Fauria, Chad Brown, Vickers, Stewart, Aunese, Dizon, Ted Johnson, Naole, Gurode, Rogers, Carruth (before he went nuts), Steed, Branch. I apologize to so many great Buffs for omitting your name. Just too lazy to post all.

Tyler Brayton, Joel Klatt, and some no-name kid we stole from CSU but I am biased.

#1 Darian Hagan
#2 Rashaan Salaam (My first jersey)
#3 Michael Westbrook / Lawrence Vickers (I like em mean!)

Honorable Mention Joel Klatt (His sister and I are friends and his dad was my AD in HS.)

Well I have to go with:
1- Gale Weidner because his game against KU got me hooked on CU football when I was a kid.
2- Cliff Branch his speed was so much fun to watch.
3- Dick Anderson really a student of the game and never seemed to be out of place on the field.
HM - Hagan, Williams, Salaam, Herb O, Davis, Brown, Hudson and Russell.

Last edited:
I have a hard time even thinking of any, the last half decade has been bare.

1. Lawrence Vickers. I'd cut out pictures of him and put him on my middle school notebooks
2. Jordon Dizon. Pure awesome
3. Bad Thad

Tough question...here's one of my takes...

Byron White (who's not proud of a Supreme Court justice being a Buff...I don't think any Cornholer can make that claim)
Rashaan Salaam (Heisman Trophy winner...no brainer choice IMO)
Alfred Williams (most accomplished Buff ever in football...National Champ, Superbowl, All Pro, Hall of Fame)

#1. My dad
#2. Darian Hagan
#3 tie Kordell Stewart and Rashaan Salaam
About #3. I was very close to the 1994 team. I served them dinner at the team hotel the night before the home games. I got to know a lot fo them. I even have a story about Rae Carruth that wouldn't surprise anybody. Anyway, Kordell was one of the nicest buffs I've ever met. And I got to take my picture with Rashaan and the Heisman.

tough question...here's one of my takes...

Byron white (who's not proud of a supreme court justice being a buff...i don't think any cornholer can make that claim)
rashaan salaam (heisman trophy winner...no brainer choice imo)
alfred williams (most accomplished buff ever in football...national champ, all-american, butkus winner, 1st round dc, superbowl, all pro, hall of fame)

fify

Kordell, Ben Kelly, and Darrin Chiaverini.

Honorable mentions: Crosby, Sykes, Dizon and Vickers.

1st 3 that came to my head...

Alfred Williams - My favorite Buff of all time

Brandon Drumm -Because he's a badass mudda

Michael Lewis -I was a safety. I love the good ones and he's the best I've seen at CU.

Byron Whizzer White - Never saw him play and way before my time....but honestly whenever there is a discussion of greatest players it's really damn hard for any school to beat an All-American, College FB Hall of Famer, 2X NFL Rushing Leader, WWI Vet & Supreme Court Justice

Daniel Graham - How can you not like the local CO kid, plus I'm a sucker for TE's and his family is the nicest folks around as I remember them having me come over and have lunch with them once at the Bronco Barn since I had their son's jersey on.

Hugh Charles - Just because I loved to drunkenly yell "Huuuuugggggghhhhhh" 100X a game with all my other fellow students at the time

Rashaan Salaam - Dude won the freaking Heisman Trophy. How can you not love that?
Darian Hagan - Watching him play was something special. Every time he had the ball in his hands, something amazing was about to happen. I maintain to this day that he's one of the top 2-3 option quarterbacks to ever play the game.
Eric Bienemy - I'll never forget freezing my ass off in stincoln and watching him rip the corn for 4 TDs in the 4th quarter to ruin their entire season. Before that game, he and Hagan jogged all around the field, real slow. As if to say "We're here, we're going to kick your ass, and there isn't a Damn thing you can do to stop us".

Honorable mention - Chris Brown, Dave Logan, Byron White, Dick & Bobby Anderson, Big Al Williams, Matt Russell, Chad Brown, Ted Johnson, Deon Figures, Ronnie Bradford, OC Oliver, Mark Hatcher, Mike Pritchard, Don Hasselback, Billy Waddy. Yeah, that's a lot of honorable mentions. Deal with it.

Hagan: You could not look away from the game for a single play when he was under center. The most exciting player I have ever seen play college football.

Alfred: Dominant. You couldn't run at him, you couldn't run away from him, you couldn't pass, and if you did get somehow get by him he would just run you down.

Biekert: One of the most down to earth people I've ever met. I can remember sitting at games and hearing, "Tackle on the play by Greg Biekert." over and over and over and over again. Also from my home town and I worked for his dad for a brief time so that doesn't hurt.

Rashaan Salaam - Dude won the freaking Heisman Trophy. How can you not love that?
Darian Hagan - Watching him play was something special. Every time he had the ball in his hands, something amazing was about to happen. I maintain to this day that he's one of the top 2-3 option quarterbacks to ever play the game.
Eric Bienemy - I'll never forget freezing my ass off in stincoln and watching him rip the corn for 4 TDs in the 4th quarter to ruin their entire season. Before that game, he and Hagan jogged all around the field, real slow. As if to say "We're here, we're going to kick your ass, and there isn't a Damn thing you can do to stop us".

Honorable mention - Chris Brown, Dave Logan, Byron White, Dick & Bobby Anderson, Big Al Williams, Matt Russell, Chad Brown, Ted Johnson, Deon Figures, Ronnie Bradford, OC Oliver, Mark Hatcher, Mike Pritchard, Don Hasselback, Billy Waddy. Yeah, that's a lot of honorable mentions. Deal with it.

We were at the 1990 NU game as well. MY brother was freezing his ass off wrapped in a blanket under the wooden bleachers. After EB scored his 3rd TD, my dad grabbed him, put him on his shoulders and said, "I don't care how cold you are, you ARE going to see this!!!!"

Child abuse?:lol:

Another funny story, walking out of the stadium, a husker fan yelled, "FIRE OSBORNE!!!!"

My dad turned to us and yelled, "Did you hear that? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH"

My dad also hung out the window on the way home from watching the OB that year drunk off his ass screaming, "We're number one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Great example he set for his kids eh?
:lol:

Back