What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Who is next?

As for the car analogy, I have to disagree...I went to two dealerships for serious talks about purchasing cars. First time I slept on that decision and backed out. Second time, I walked out. Third time, I got my car. Just because Jones didn't sign on the dotted line doesn't mean he will reject the offer...it's smart of him to be sleeping on that offer.

Your buying experience is EXACTLY what I'm referring to in my original post: after your first visit, you went home to "think about it" and decided to pass. Welcome to the 90% of people who "think about it" and don't buy. You did this again on the second deal. You opted for the third deal because you'd done your research and finally found the right deal/fit for you. You probably bought the same day too, right? You'd already "thought about it" enough and were ready to buy.

I know y'all want to try and see differences in buying and selling a piece of merchandise compared to a coach being sold on a job. The dynamics are not different. When an AD closes the deal, "his guy" does not leave the building without a signed offer. When they do go home to "think about it" they make it a lot less likely that they're going to come on board.

Only if selecting a head coaching job in a different part of the country was as simple as choosing a car. My decision to go to college in a different part of the country was more simple because I wasn't married or had kids. Suppose I got an job offer that I would have to move not myself but my wife today, there's no way I would make a decision in less than a day.

The factor that isn't receiving proper value AND is far, far different than selling cars is: "Being honorable and making face-to-face announcements with current employers, co-workers AND THE TEAM."

Would you REALLY want to donate immediate respect to a coach that had his former team learn his defection via ESPN? NO. Let him spend time at home and make his announcements. This IS the most honorable thing for him to do.

After all, what's not to love about CU Football? This is obviously the greatest job in the history of all sports.

Right?

I think the used car analogy is ****ing stupid. This is a job, and nearly everyone takes a day or two to think it over and talk with other people. The examples listed by the OP as ones who took it right away aren't exactly known as the most virtuous of men.

I think the used car analogy is ****ing stupid. This is a job, and nearly everyone takes a day or two to think it over and talk with other people. The examples listed by the OP as ones who took it right away aren't exactly known as the most virtuous of men.

Didn't you go on the record, once, as saying it's the State's responsibility to provide both cars and jobs? What's to think about?

Didn't you go on the record, once, as saying it's the State's responsibility to provide both cars and jobs? What's to think about?
I don't know "who" is next, but I know "what" is next after that reply to 96...**** You!

Your buying experience is EXACTLY what I'm referring to in my original post: after your first visit, you went home to "think about it" and decided to pass. Welcome to the 90% of people who "think about it" and don't buy. You did this again on the second deal. You opted for the third deal because you'd done your research and finally found the right deal/fit for you. You probably bought the same day too, right? You'd already "thought about it" enough and were ready to buy.

I know y'all want to try and see differences in buying and selling a piece of merchandise compared to a coach being sold on a job. The dynamics are not different. When an AD closes the deal, "his guy" does not leave the building without a signed offer. When they do go home to "think about it" they make it a lot less likely that they're going to come on board.

Next time I buy a car, even if I'm sold, I'm going to leave the dealership to "think about it". Then come back in 20 min and buy the car. Just to mess with the dealer.

For the record, I've never once purchased a car on the spot. I always leave and come back a few days later. Sometimes the dealer calls and I ask him/her if the deal has gotten any sweeter. Sometimes it has.

I'm very upfront too, announcing that if I feel a hint of pressure during the process that I'll bolt like a rabbit. I approach every car purchase as personal conflict.

I have no idea how Butch purchases cars. However, I've enjoyed Manhattan's insights. I don't have personal conflict with him.

For the record, I've never once purchased a car on the spot. I always leave and come back a few days later. Sometimes the dealer calls and I ask him/her if the deal has gotten any sweeter. Sometimes it has.

I'm very upfront too, announcing that if I feel a hint of pressure during the process that I'll bolt like a rabbit. I approach every car purchase as personal conflict.

I have no idea how Butch purchases cars. However, I've enjoyed Manhattan's insights. I don't have personal conflict with him.
Am I the only one picturing the Seinfeld scene with George in the Saab dealership. "I'll walk, baby!"

Next time I buy a car, even if I'm sold, I'm going to leave the dealership to "think about it". Then come back in 20 min and buy the car. Just to mess with the dealer.
Actually, I just recently purchased a new car and did the whole thing via email/phone messages. In fact, when I called the guy to accept the deal, his first words were, "you do exist!" It might speak to my non-confrontational leanings, but it was the most stress free car purchase I've ever made. Everything was on my time table. Would do it that way again.

If anyone will pay me $2.7 million to take a car off there hands, PM me.

Actually, I just recently purchased a new car and did the whole thing via email/phone messages. In fact, when I called the guy to accept the deal, his first words were, "you do exist!" It might speak to my non-confrontational leanings, but it was the most stress free car purchase I've ever made. Everything was on my time table. Would do it that way again.

I can imagine Jones asking for turf in Folsom Field, bigger offices, you name it. I believe CU still would be an upgrade over Cincy.

With things like match.com and other sites, I suppose you could make the argument that a lot of people date like that now.

I have no recollection of that event, Senator.

In major college football coaching, people act quickly. I've given many examples (current) where the AD closed the same day. When "your guy" leaves, you lose face and chances to close go down.

I do appreciate your optimism.

Yes, but you don't know what has taken place before what you thought was presented as the "same day". There is just so much that is not public info and I seriously doubt coaches accept offers without sleeping on them, espeically when they have multiple offers.

We should start a car buying experience thread!!! I watched the Badger video and saw a couple clips that I know happened. My brother told his wife she could buy a car but not to go over $50,000 plus the trade in (she was driving a Lexus). She went to the dealer and the salesman told her to come back with her husband.

I think the original poster made some good points. Rather you are selling cars or anything else your best chance of closing is when you are meeting with buyer. Sometimes they will come back to you the odds do go down.

My guess it is 50/50 - he has a good offer from CU and a counter offer from Cincinnati.

Funny we were talking about this when news hit that Bilema is going to Arkansas. Got to give Jones credit here...he ain't dumb as EDSBS tweeted.

Yes, but you don't know what has taken place before what you thought was presented as the "same day". There is just so much that is not public info and I seriously doubt coaches accept offers without sleeping on them, espeically when they have multiple offers.

Thinking happens before the visit. The agent presents the recruited coach preliminary numbers, perk offers, etc. The visit is used to decide about the fit -- personalities, facilities, overall feel. The hiring AD has his best shot to close the deal on the visit if he wants to get "his guy". If the coach leaves, the window of opportunity is open, but it goes down greatly.

Ask Bret Bielema about leaving Arkansas to "think about it." I have given numerous recent examples, including one from 20 minutes ago, about the closing time for coaches to make a decision in taking a job. Schools on the level where we want to play close the deal on the first visit.

We should start a car buying experience thread!!! I watched the Badger video and saw a couple clips that I know happened. My brother told his wife she could buy a car but not to go over $50,000 plus the trade in (she was driving a Lexus). She went to the dealer and the salesman told her to come back with her husband.

I think the original poster made some good points. Rather you are selling cars or anything else your best chance of closing is when you are meeting with buyer. Sometimes they will come back to you the odds do go down.

My guess it is 50/50 - he has a good offer from CU and a counter offer from Cincinnati.

Has this been your experience in the workign world? Either offering or accepting jobs?

Why don't you go ahead and name the most successful coaches in college football who took their current job after "thinking about it"... I'm waiting.

Anyone shop at the KIA dealership on Colfax in Lakewood? Never will shop at that dealership again thanks to those pushy Korean people.

Has this been your experience in the workign world? Either offering or accepting jobs?

Yes, in offering jobs. For high level positions the offers are made face to face and you try to get a commitment before they leave the room. You know there is mutual interest otherwise they would not be in the room...if they appear to be waffling then find out what is stopping them from committing.

Hawkins took the CU deal when they met with him in Idaho, he only came to Boulder when he was introduced.

Yes, in offering jobs. For high level positions the offers are made face to face and you try to get a commitment before they leave the room. You know there is mutual interest otherwise they would not be in the room...if they appear to be waffling then find out what is stopping them from committing.

Hawkins took the CU deal when they met with him in Idaho, he only came to Boulder when he was introduced.

Neienas negotiated the commitment, then the University got involved.

Bohn better be sending jets to pick up Mendenhall, Wilcox, Deruyter, Diaco, whoever is on his list. We can't be left holding out dicks here while everyone else is getting laid.

Conventional wisdom is that Mendenhall is next, followed by DeRuyter. After that? I suppose Diaco could be in the mix. Truth be told, he is my personal favorite anyway.

Back