What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Who will replace Urban Meyer?

I doubt Miami has enough money to pay Pelini. kNU has a lot more resources than Miami has. I could see Bo going just to get out of Lincoln, which is an armpit of a city, but otherwise, Miami can't offer what the niblets can.

Since they are a private school its pretty hard to say what they can and can not afford. That being said you might be on to something as I'm not sure there move to Joe Robbie/Pro Player/Land Shark/Dolphin/Sun Life Stadium has worked out that well for them.

Last edited:
Since they are a private school its pretty hard to say what they can and can not afford. That being said you might be on to something as I'm not sure there move to Joe Robbie/Pro Player/Land Shark/Dolphin/Sun Life Stadium has worked out that well for them.

They didn't have much of a choice in the matter, from what I could gather. They can't build a stadium in Coral Gables, and the Orange Bowl is (was) owned by the City of Miami, who wanted to tear it down. End of discussion. Joe Robbie was all that was left, and it's what, 20 miles from campus? Long term, UM really should try to build their own facility, but that's getting more and more unlikely. Anyhow - they aren't pulling in big numbers at the gate, but they never really did, even in their heyday. Their conference isn't going to provide them with the same income as the Big 10 will provide the fuskers, either. Nebraska won't lose a bidding war for a coach with anybody. They operate at an entirely different level than 95% of the programs in the country.

On a different note, Neb. granted Bo Pelini permission to talk to the U according to ESPN radio this morning.

NOT True. The Nebraska AD said there has been no such request by either Coach Pelini or Miami. Geesh!

NOT True. The Nebraska AD said there has been no such request by either Coach Pelini or Miami. Geesh!

Don't really care if its true or not. Just reporting the rumor on ESPN sat radio this morning. Glad to see its got Neb. fans freaked out. With that said, hope he does leave so I can watch the anarchy ensue. :rofl:

Petrino would go to Florida in a heartbeat. And Florida won't hesitate on the buyout - I think about $3 M.

Don't really care if its true or not. Just reporting the rumor on ESPN sat radio this morning. Glad to see its got Neb. fans freaked out. With that said, hope he does leave so I can watch the anarchy ensue. :rofl:

Looks to me like it's good publicity during prime recruiting time. I'll take it!

Your coach possibly leaving is "good publicity" for recruiting?
Remember you are dealing with a Nebraska mentality. He's probably smoking too much corn silk and eating those shrooms that grow in the cow $h_T up there.

Joe Robbie was all that was left, and it's what, 20 miles from campus? Long term, UM really should try to build their own facility, but that's getting more and more unlikely.

Joe Robbie/Pro Player/Dolphins/Dolphin/LandShark/Sun Life Stadium is about 20-25 miles north of the campus...takes about 30-35 minutes to drive with light traffic...

UM will never get their own campus facility for a number of reasons...

1. They don't have the land for it - the UM campus is pretty much completely built up and surrounded by city - they have no free land

2. The City of Coral Gables is amongst the world's most asinine bureaucracies...one way in which this has directly impacted UM athletics is if you go inside their on-campus basketball arena. The arena structure was originally designed to seat 10,000, but the City got a bug up their ass about "traffic concerns" and restricted it so that the arena could only have about 7,200 seats in it. Thus, if you go in the arena today, you'll see the concrete tiers for the additional seats wrapping around the upper part of the arena behind one of the baskets - it would be no big deal to go and put in the physical seats for that area, but the city won't let them...arena looks hideous on the inside as a result...

3. Traffic would be a serious problem in the area - the campus sits a couple of miles away from any expressway (I-95 and the Palmetto), and traffic is bad in the area already without on-campus football...

4. Funding - UM is terrible at fundraising and I doubt they could even come close to getting the costs of the facility raised...

They didn't have much of a choice in the matter, from what I could gather. They can't build a stadium in Coral Gables, and the Orange Bowl is (was) owned by the City of Miami, who wanted to tear it down. End of discussion. Joe Robbie was all that was left, and it's what, 20 miles from campus? Long term, UM really should try to build their own facility, but that's getting more and more unlikely. Anyhow - they aren't pulling in big numbers at the gate, but they never really did, even in their heyday. Their conference isn't going to provide them with the same income as the Big 10 will provide the fuskers, either. Nebraska won't lose a bidding war for a coach with anybody. They operate at an entirely different level than 95% of the programs in the country.

They drew better at the Orange Bowl. They kept threatening the city with leaving if the city didn't do some improvement to the OB. The problem was the city was virtually bankrupt at the time and they finally made the decision to leave the OB. I think they have a better deal at JRPPDSLSSL stadium.

Joe Robbie/Pro Player/Dolphins/Dolphin/LandShark/Sun Life Stadium is about 20-25 miles north of the campus...takes about 30-35 minutes to drive with light traffic...

UM will never get their own campus facility for a number of reasons...

1. They don't have the land for it - the UM campus is pretty much completely built up and surrounded by city - they have no free land

2. The City of Coral Gables is amongst the world's most asinine bureaucracies...one way in which this has directly impacted UM athletics is if you go inside their on-campus basketball arena. The arena structure was originally designed to seat 10,000, but the City got a bug up their ass about "traffic concerns" and restricted it so that the arena could only have about 7,200 seats in it. Thus, if you go in the arena today, you'll see the concrete tiers for the additional seats wrapping around the upper part of the arena behind one of the baskets - it would be no big deal to go and put in the physical seats for that area, but the city won't let them...arena looks hideous on the inside as a result...

3. Traffic would be a serious problem in the area - the campus sits a couple of miles away from any expressway (I-95 and the Palmetto), and traffic is bad in the area already without on-campus football...

4. Funding - UM is terrible at fundraising and I doubt they could even come close to getting the costs of the facility raised...

Coral Gables = Boulder City Gov. i used to work for them. They have butt loads of money due to the incredibly high property values and they like meddle in all construction projects. When UM was building the basketball arena Coral Gables limited the seats which is redonkulous. As such, they some radically underdeveloped strip mall areas around town. Coral Gables is stoopid.

Where the U really screwed up, imho, was this; When I was a kid in the 70s and early 80s just across Red Road from campus was an old strip mall and closed down shopping center that was for sale for years. They could have purchased that and built a stadium there in the City of South Miami and escaped the problems Coral Gables brought to the table. The end zones would have been tight but it would have been large enough but parking would suck. It's since been redeveloped.

But a block south there is a block of warehouses light industrial that would be large enough thats way under valued or developed. On the west side is of that block is a metro rail station with a big parking garage. The U for years has been buying residential houses around campus so it would not surprise me if they already owned some of those warehouses.

If you look at google maps where the baseball stadium is and the practice fields and the track and field track. A football stadium would fit in there easily. Gables will never allow it. But it would fit.

Last edited:
They drew better at the Orange Bowl. They kept threatening the city with leaving if the city didn't do some improvement to the OB. The problem was the city was virtually bankrupt at the time and they finally made the decision to leave the OB. I think they have a better deal at JRPPDSLSSL stadium.

Coral Gables = Boulder City Gov. i used to work for them. They have butt loads of money due to the incredibly high property values and they like meddle in all construction projects. When UM was building the basketball arena Coral Gables limited the seats which is redonkulous. As such, they some radically underdeveloped strip mall areas around town. Coral Gables is stoopid.

Where the U really screwed up, imho, was this; When I was a kid in the 70s and early 80s just across Red Road from campus was an old strip mall and closed down shopping center that was for sale for years. They could have purchased that and built a stadium there in the City of South Miami and escaped the problems Coral Gables brought to the table. The end zones would have been tight but it would have been large enough but parking would suck. It's since been redeveloped.

But a block south there is a block of warehouses light industrial that would be large enough thats way under valued or developed. On the west side is of that block is a metro rail station with a big parking garage. The U for years has been buying residential houses around campus so it would not surprise me if they already owned some of those warehouses.

If you look at google maps where the baseball stadium is and the practice fields and the track and field track. A football stadium would fit in there easily. Gables will never allow it. But it would fit.

They may have drawn better at the OB, but they still didn't draw all that well. I went to the CU game there in 05 and the place was half empty, with a solid 6,000 or so CU fans there. It was opening day, and they couldn't put more than about 40,000 people in the place. Pathetic.

You know more about the geography of the place than I do, but I would imagine that the school would be well served to purchase some land just outside Coral Gables for future development. Playing their home games at Joe Robbie (sorry, I'm not going to go into all the iterations of the name of that stadium) is not a sustainable plan, long term.

Word is they have offered Stoops and Petrino, both said thanks but no thanks.

Stoops is not taking that job. why would he? He's got 85,00 screaming hillbillies that love him. recruiting in Texas. UM, empty stadium. Petrino might be the real deal....but, he's flavor of the month right now.

Why would Petrino turn it down? Even if the $$ is the same, UF has much more prestige and given BP's history as a ladder climber, all the signs would appear to point to him bolting?

Word is they have offered Stoops and Petrino, both said thanks but no thanks.

Why would Petrino turn it down? Even if the $$ is the same, UF has much more prestige and given BP's history as a ladder climber, all the signs would appear to point to him bolting?

As an Arkansas fan I've gotten to know a bit about Petrino over the past few years. He does things his way and answers to no one. Part of the FL deal is Meyer will still be involved in the AD's office. Petrino wants nothing to do with that mess. That's just reason #1. In addition the expectations at Florida are insane. If Meyer had another season like this past one, he would have been fired. I don't think Petrino wants to step into that nightmare with regards to expectations.

Petrino is a small town guy from Montana, and he doesn't like a larger city or larger "atmosphere" if you will. He wasn't happy at Louisville, and he along with his entire family hated Atlanta. They actually love Fayetteville, it's a very nice college town... and BP has already donated close to $1 million to local charities and organizations. His kids are in high school or college and love it there.

Money wise he will get paid almost as well as he would at Florida if not as well. Arkansas has tons of money, not to mention amazing facilities. Petrino wanted an upgrade to our already fantastic facilities. This is what he was just given http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=6100&ATCLID=205019737... breaking ground on it in April. He is loved by the fans and the media, he is in a pretty solid recruiting area (though not quite as good as Florida). He has been given leeway to build the program his way, and that's what he has been doing.

Those are just a few reasons. Yes Florida is a top 5 job, but Arkansas is in a tier right below those top programs. Sure Florida has prestige, but Arkansas is historically a top 15-20 program, and that is after the worst two decade period in our history. In Arkansas the Razorbacks are the only show in town. It's not like people on here whining because the Broncos fired their coach and now CU gets shut out of the media. Fan support for the Razorbacks runs rampant through the state. Almost anywhere you go you see Razorback red in Arkansas. He's got a whole state behind him, he's about to get an extension which will put his salary above $3.5 million annually. He's got Arkansas into a BCS bowl... I'd say he's got a pretty good thing going.

ESPN insider is now floating a rumor that Bob Stoops is working on a contract with Florida right now. Man, what a death blow to the old Big 12 that would be - but it makes alot of sense. More money and exposure, + a ride on the SEC gravy train.

Last edited:
ESPN insider is now floating a rumor that Bob Stoops is working on a contract with Florida right now. Man, what a death blow to the old Big 12 that would be - but it makes alot of sense. More money and exposure, + a ride on the SEC gravy train.

I agree. I think Stoops, if he's smart, will see the writing on the wall that his school is in a dying conference. The Big 12 is about to become about as relevant as the MWC, and he knows it.

I agree. I think Stoops, if he's smart, will see the writing on the wall that his school is in a dying conference. The Big 12 is about to become about as relevant as the MWC, and he knows it.

And believe it or not, the talking heads down here are now musing that Mack may start thinking of hanging it up soone rather than later as the 3 guys who've left (right now) were some of his closest advisors.

Wow - think about it, OU and UT losing their icon coaches at the dawn of the new Big TexMack 12(-2)? awesome.

For some reason I find the idea of Stoops to Florida kinda satisfying...

Don´t let UBT see this. You´re all clueless. Clueless, I say. The Oklahoma Sooners are god´s gift to the world and Bob Stoops should feel priviliged to have the job he has. Coaching OU is the pinnacle of anyone´s life and nobody would leave OU on its own terms. It´s complete blasphemy to even suggest that Bob Stoops might be looking elsewhere. He´s in heaven and paradise combined at OU.

Back