What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Who will start at QB in the opener?

Who will open the season as QB1?

• Shane Dillon

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Nick Hirschman

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Jordan Webb

Votes: 50 42.4%
  • Connor Wood

Votes: 61 51.7%

• Total voters
Duff can certainly speak for himself, but I'm guessing that he echoes DBT's sentiments that this thing is really a two-horse race between Webb and Wood. In my opinion, it's Wood's job to lose, but based on his apparently shaky spring performance, he may do just that.

There's also just no possible way to get 4 guys quality reps. The next few weeks will fly by and there just aren't enough reps to go around without severely under-preparing whoever ultimately wins the job. This coaching staff should know enough about these kids by now to narrow it down - part of their job is to make tough calls with imperfect information.

There's also just no possible way to get 4 guys quality reps. The next few weeks will fly by and there just aren't enough reps to go around without severely under-preparing whoever ultimately wins the job. This coaching staff should know enough about these kids by now to narrow it down - part of their job is to make tough calls with imperfect information.

Hard to imagine Hirshman will be getting many reps unless Webb and Woods really struggle.

I think that Wood is the definite favorite. Younger than Webb with better playmaking ability.

I think bringing Webb in says three things. One is that although Wood is the favorite, they aren't entirely sure and want someone who can step in if he doesn't perform as expected. Seconly they want a backup who has some experience and won't be overwhelmed if he has to step in at a moments notice. Thirdly it shows that they weren't entirely happy with what they saw out of Hirsch last year and more importantly don't trust his health. It seems like guys who have a serious foot problem never make it back fully, Hirsch has had serious issued with both feet.

It also says that they don't want to force Dillon into action without a RS year.

Last edited:
c'mon guys. Webb was basically cut by K-freaking-U...and now he's starting material for CU in 2 months?

c'mon guys. Webb was basically cut by K-freaking-U...and now he's starting material for CU in 2 months?

Coaching change. Weis wanted "his guy". Stats weren't bad and Webb's got enough natural talent that Mangino (another QB guru) recruited him to be the heir apparent to Todd Reesing. Let's not sell the guy short. He started as a true freshman at a BCS program even after a tragic mistake of a coaching change.

Webb feels like more of a solid pick and Wood feels a little softer. Basically, until Wood controls his balls, the competition should be pretty stiff.

Webb feels like more of a solid pick and Wood feels a little softer. Basically, until Wood controls his balls, the competition should be pretty stiff.

LYES! A web of lyes! wood dew care to leaf your opines to awlone with yourshelf? teek care.

Coaching change. Weis wanted "his guy". Stats weren't bad and Webb's got enough natural talent that Mangino (another QB guru) recruited him to be the heir apparent to Todd Reesing. Let's not sell the guy short. He started as a true freshman at a BCS program even after a tragic mistake of a coaching change.

if he was any good, Weis would have kept him.

I agree with many who say Wood has more upside potential (other than Dillon who is definitely going to RS this year). We need to win this year though, not build for future years.

I think and hope that Fall camp will give Wood enough chance to prove he is worthy and that Webb is going to be a high quality backup with real BCS experience so that there is no major drop in play if Wood gets hurt, etc.

I agree with many who say Wood has more upside potential (other than Dillon who is definitely going to RS this year). We need to win this year though, not build for future years.

I think and hope that Fall camp will give Wood enough chance to prove he is worthy and that Webb is going to be a high quality backup with real BCS experience so that there is no major drop in play if Wood gets hurt, etc.

Don't be so sure about Dillon. If he performs at the same level as the other three. He will start. Better to have the youngest guy get the most reps if all things are even.

If Dillon plays (which I want to see), I doubt it is in the opening few games, nor as the starter. You simply cannot divide reps four ways in fall camp.

if he was any good, Weis would have kept him.

I guess we'll find out.

At the least, he is a lot more experienced than Hirschman and performed at a much higher level in actual game action than Hirschman did. Bare minimum, we upgraded and have a guy who can efficiently man the position until Dillon or Wood develops his talent into becoming a game changer.

Don't be so sure about Dillon. If he performs at the same level as the other three. He will start. Better to have the youngest guy get the most reps if all things are even.

I would agree with this if the youngest guy didn't have a redshirt year available. Letting him sit a year only helps us down the road and is probably better for his development long-term. Unless the true frosh is way ahead of everyone else he should sit.

I would agree with this if the youngest guy didn't have a redshirt year available. Letting him sit a year only helps us down the road and is probably better for his development long-term. Unless the true frosh is way ahead of everyone else he should sit.

Embo is building for 2014. If Dillon could be a three year starter at that point I think he does it. Especially with Sefo coming in next year

I think it's Conner cuz he's got the reps with the offense. I think Webb pushes Conner to do better and comes off the bench if Wood doesn't work out.

I have thus decreed the official truth; this thread can officially close :nod:

Embo is building for 2014. If Dillon could be a three year starter at that point I think he does it. Especially with Sefo coming in next year

I agree that Embree is building for 2013 and 2014, but losing one or more of the first three games this year would likely lead to a similar record as last year and put Embree on the hot seat next year. I'm sure he'd like to avoid that so I'm guessing Dillon redshirts unless he's clearly better than the competition. I'm guessing Wood starts game one.

CSU is an absolute must-win, particularly since the Fresno State game will be tricky.

Disagree. Embree's goal is to make a bowl game this year, so he's not going to jeopardize that in order to get Dillon ready for 2014. Now if Dillon gives us the best chance to win this year, then fine.

Embo is definitely building for the future. However, that will have more of an impact on decisions to play guys like Jeff Thomas early when a guy like Ebner would be more dependable with his reads and route trees. Or playing a freshman RB instead of giving those snaps to Ford, pass protection and defensive recognition be damned. In order to do those things, we need a QB with a high football IQ who is ready to lead this year from the opening snap.

I don't think that Dillon is really in this competition. I think that it will become a 2-man competition in less than 2 weeks into camp with a fairly clear leader for who is going to win the QB1 job.

Embo is playing for this year in that he wants to show improvement on the W-L record. Yes this team is built for beyond, but he's not going to play guys and lose. Dillon would have to be a notch above to start. He may be groomed with some cleanup time otherwise.

Charlie Tuna brought in his personally groomed QB from Notre Dame who already knows Charlie's system. I doubt Charlie even looked at Webb. He had his guy from day one and wanted the scholarship back. He gave that to a Juco with 4 to play 3, who is more of a prototypical NFL type.

Which begs the question, does EB have some zone read sets in mind? He promised in a recent interview some changes. Without Clemons and PRich on the edge, we may have to have something to loosen up the 8 in the box. And no, I don't expect PRich to be himself this year, and I don't expect him to play much if at all before PAC play begins.

voted Wood due to his knowledge of the playbook and knowing the staff and team - the question was who is starting the 1st game. I see Webb overtaking the position as the season goes on due to his play making ability. I hope they both do really well and the coaches have a hard time making a decision....by the way Schrock needs to be included in these conversations, this kid is more than just a clipboard holder

voted Wood due to his knowledge of the playbook and knowing the staff and team - the question was who is starting the 1st game. I see Webb overtaking the position as the season goes on due to his play making ability. I hope they both do really well and the coaches have a hard time making a decision....by the way Schrock needs to be included in these conversations, this kid is more than just a clipboard holder

It might sound dickish, but 4 people competing for a spot is already far too many. 5 is simply not feasible.

My 2¢ (which is probably worth 1 penny) - Wood to start and build the program around with Webb able to step in not having had the majority of the first team reps. Ex: Buffs are up by 10 (down by 3) going into the 4th, but can't move the ball, can't run out the clock, you give it to Webb to finish. Then you go back, help wood for the next week to prevent that situation again, repeat as necessary until Wood can figure it out. Just win baby!

Caveat to my post - this is a situation where Webb doesn't clearly take the bull (buffalo) by the horns and run away with th competition.

Based on the Embree comments in his post-practice presser, I'd expect this to be a 2-man battle very soon.

(No insight into who the odd man out is.)

Back