What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Who will start at QB in the opener?

Who will open the season as QB1?

• Shane Dillon

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Nick Hirschman

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Jordan Webb

Votes: 50 42.4%
  • Connor Wood

Votes: 61 51.7%

• Total voters
Based on some of the pictures it looked like Hirsch was practicing with the 3 string Wr's

Based on the Embree comments in his post-practice presser, I'd expect this to be a 2-man battle very soon.

(No insight into who the odd man out is.)
Yup. And I'm guessing the odd man out is NOT going to be Webb. He is the one guy they will forgive on playbook mistakes etc. at this time.

Yup. And I'm guessing the odd man out is NOT going to be Webb. He is the one guy they will forgive on playbook mistakes etc. at this time.

Sounded like turnovers were a major problem. Embree was asked if the turnovers were evenly distributed among the QBs and he said no but wouldn't elaborate.

Id give Wood the advantage being in the offense awhile. That said, big difference between running scout and being live. He has the ability, he needs to take it over.

IF Webb starts game one and plays well, why would he not start game 2. Wood is not going to get so much better during the interceding 5 practices.

In my mind, if Web starts game one and then Wood starts game two that means we lost game one and that means I will be done caring.

IF Webb starts game one and plays well, why would he not start game 2. Wood is not going to get so much better during the interceding 5 practices.

In my mind, if Web starts game one and then Wood starts game two that means we lost game one and that means I will be done caring.

This

Many fans have overlooked the fact that Jon Embree's son is a WR at Kansas who was practicing catching Jordan Webb's passes last year at this time. Jon Embree has seen a lot of KU football from 2011 I would bet.

Webb didn't just sort of wander into this situation.

My best guess is Webb is a two year starter followed by Dillon. If Wood an pull it all together and take the job, that just makes us better. I feel Webb makes us middle of the PAC12 at the position and that's pretty nice to lose your starter and plug in a guy with 19 games under his belt....

Many fans have overlooked the fact that Jon Embree's son is a WR at Kansas who was practicing catching Jordan Webb's passes last year at this time. Jon Embree has seen a lot of KU football from 2011 I would bet.

Webb didn't just sort of wander into this situation.

My best guess is Webb is a two year starter followed by Dillon. If Wood an pull it all together and take the job, that just makes us better. I feel Webb makes us middle of the PAC12 at the position and that's pretty nice to lose your starter and plug in a guy with 19 games under his belt....

Can't say I share your enthusiasm for Webb. I don't think the kid is a bum, but I really thought he was being brought in as an insurance policy to give us a solid backup with some game experience in case of injury or very ineffective play. If he winds up a two-year starter for us, I wouldn't see that as a great thing for the team at this point. Now, if he wins the job and plays well, I'll eat those words, but I just haven't seen enough from him to feel like he is our best hope for a couple successful seasons.

Can't say I share your enthusiasm for Webb. I don't think the kid is a bum, but I really thought he was being brought in as an insurance policy to give us a solid backup with some game experience in case of injury or very ineffective play. If he winds up a two-year starter for us, I wouldn't see that as a great thing for the team at this point. Now, if he wins the job and plays well, I'll eat those words, but I just haven't seen enough from him to feel like he is our best hope for a couple successful seasons.

I agree with this.

Webb is better than some give him credit for but he is not a difference maker. I think Hirsch is getting a "courtesy look" based on being the returning letterman but his talent is limited and he didn't blow anyone away when he was on the field last year. Add to this the fact that he has had serious injuries to both feet. It seems like guys who suffer foot injuries never recover completely and continue to have problems.

Wood is far ahead of both Webb and Hirsch in raw talent. He still has to make it happen on the field but he can be the difference maker that Webb can't. Even if he makes a few more mistakes I think the preference of the coaches is to start Wood. Having a veteran back-up who can be a stabilizer if Wood falters makes that easier. Hirsch lacks both the raw talent of Wood and the experience and stability of Webb with the added risk of re-injury at almost any time.

:yeahthat:

c'mon guys. Webb was basically cut by K-freaking-U...and now he's starting material for CU in 2 months?

I've been pessimistic about that too. If we are relying on a kid cut by a 2-10 Kansas, then it's gonna be another long season. My feeling is that we win 3 games and Qb is a revolving door between Wood, Hirschman, and Webb.

At that point, the kid from Washington better be legit as a freshman or Embree will be looking for work. The staff is not recruiting well enough to overcome anything less than stellar qb play.

WTF? Embree has another kid who went elsewhere and now plays at Kansas???
Was that yet another DII ****-up?

WTF? Embree has another kid who went elsewhere and now plays at Kansas???
Was that yet another DII ****-up?

Jon Embree sons: UCLA and Kansas
Kanavis McGhee son: Kansas State
Darian Hagan son: Cal
Bill McCartney grandson: LSU

Doesn't say much good about what those families think of Dan HaLkins.

Jesus effing-A Christ - what an ass DII was. Our most famous alums knew it and steered their kids away. ****ING HALK!

And then you have Matt McChesney's comments about Halk:

The state of CU football: “I think they’re on the right path. I think they (head coach Jon Embree and offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy) are fantastic coaches and I really hope the people in Boulder give them the time to rebuild the disaster that Dan Hawkins built. Dan Hawkins was maybe the worst thing that’s ever happened to CU football. Ever. Ever. It astonishes me that he’s on a show on ESPN called, ‘The Experts.’“Once they can reverse the lack of tradition that was there and get back to what it was when I was there (2000-04), in that regard I think you’ll start winning games because of who you are. If you’re a hard-nosed, tough football team that’s not going to quit, you’re going to win some football games over teams that will (quit). We’ve been that team the last six years, the team that quits and doesn’t have the heart.”
He added that he thinks it’ll take anot

[h=1]Matt McChesney talks about Buffs[/h]

Of course some could argue Embree goes too far in the other direction.:wink2:

Bakhtiari told me after Thursday evening’s practice that he hopes the competition is settled soon.

“Before, I didn’t have a problem (with it),” Bakhtiari said. “But now, I guess I’m having a little ‘camp fever,’ so I guess I’m getting a little annoyed.

“I want to see consistency. I want somebody to emerge from the group. I just want to see one of them step up and take the whole role, basically take this offense.”

http://blogs.denverpost.com/college...khtiari-hopes-qb-battle-settled-sooner/24116/

Bakhtiari told me after Thursday evening’s practice that he hopes the competition is settled soon.

“Before, I didn’t have a problem (with it),” Bakhtiari said. “But now, I guess I’m having a little ‘camp fever,’ so I guess I’m getting a little annoyed.

“I want to see consistency. I want somebody to emerge from the group. I just want to see one of them step up and take the whole role, basically take this offense.”

http://blogs.denverpost.com/college...khtiari-hopes-qb-battle-settled-sooner/24116/

This concerns me, just like many other things

I think the starting qb question may be more a function of who's the best on field general rather than who has the best qb talent. Since we're going to have such a young team I think the job may go to the guy who can command the best in the huddle. Young teams need strong leadership. I don't know who brings that the most that but I give the edge to Webb due to his experience.

Last edited:
Back