What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Who would you hire and why?

I think tim deruyter at fresno would be a good choice he was the DC at tamu and probably has some recruiting connections in texas that could help.

I'm shocked that no one has mentioned Utah State HC Gary Andersen. He's done a helluva job turning that program around. They are bringing in and developing talent in a podunk town in Utah. He's the kind of coach who can really do something nice for our program.

You guys need Ron Zook. Have him recruit for you for a couple of years and then fire him and hire a real coach. Of course offer Petrino first.

Petrino is interested in the UK job:

On local airwaves and message boards, many University of Kentucky fans have made it clear they would love to see Petrino replace Joker Phillips, misdeeds and all. And on Wednesday, Petrino Sr. made it clear that his son would love to be at UK.

“I just know this, that he’s interested in Kentucky,” the father said. “He wants to stay in the SEC. That was his life’s goal was to go to the SEC.”

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20121107/COLUMNISTS02/311070125/1002/?nclick_check=1

Jack Del Rio
...may or mayn't be a good college guy, but risking a repeat of the "Hawkins Affect" (with his QB son) almost makes me sick.

I'm shocked that no one has mentioned Utah State HC Gary Andersen. He's done a helluva job turning that program around. They are bringing in and developing talent in a podunk town in Utah. He's the kind of coach who can really do something nice for our program.

We know that people are going to be extra cautious of small school head coaches. The only thing that would concern me about Andersen is that he has never coached at a BCS school in any capacity. Really good success at Utah as DC and now Utah State though.

Speaking of small school head coaches, a guy starting to generate some buzz is Mike MacIntyre.

Malzahn is a deep south/Arky boy through and through. Not sure he would want to come out west. And if you hire an offense minded HC like Malzahn, why bring in Stitt?

I was inferring Malzahn if you did fire Embree. I would prefer to keep Embree and bring in Stitt. Sorry for the confusion.....

my favorite quote on Tressel from the SI article:
"In the morning he would read the Bible with another coach. Then, in the afternoon, he would go out and cheat kids who had probably saved up money from mowing lawns to buy those raffle tickets. That's Jim Tressel."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/magazine/05/30/jim.tressel/index.html#ixzz2BbBVuksG

Are you expecting to find perfection in someone who reads the Bible? Do you expect that you can examine their life and find nothing wrong? If so, I think you have the wrong idea about the Bible.

I don't know much about JT, but this raffle thing is being blown WAY out of proportion when you look at the scope of someone's life, a man who's lived for 60 years. It's silly.

I've kinda been on the Bob Diaco/Justin Wilcox bandwagon for a while now. But, I'm starting to think this team needs an older and experienced HC to stabilize the team. Or I'd be in favor of Sonny Dykes

I've kinda been on the Bob Diaco/Justin Wilcox bandwagon for a while now. But, I'm starting to think this team needs an older and experienced HC to stabilize the team. Or I'd be in favor of Sonny Dykes
Viva Bobby Bowden.

Not sure that means a ton in the coachign profession. Guys go where the jobs are.
True, but his resume is three consecutive gigs at Arky HS's, Univ. of Arky as AC, OC at Tulsa, OC at Auburn, HC at Arky. St....I sense a pattern here.

True, but his resume is three consecutive gigs at Arky HS's, Univ. of Arky as AC, OC at Tulsa, OC at Auburn, HC at Arky. St....I sense a pattern here.

You could be right. I thought the move to Arky State was a little odd. Seems like his stock was pretty high and could have landed a bigger gig. Maybe he's got a long term methodical plan and wanted to get some experince as the boss at a smaller school. Now he has the full resume.

Or, maybe he's just a hillbilly and likes to live in Arky. I've been to Arky and I like it. Beautiful state.

Are you expecting to find perfection in someone who reads the Bible? Do you expect that you can examine their life and find nothing wrong? If so, I think you have the wrong idea about the Bible.

I don't know much about JT, but this raffle thing is being blown WAY out of proportion when you look at the scope of someone's life, a man who's lived for 60 years. It's silly.

/JoePa

You could be right. I thought the move to Arky State was a little odd. Seems like his stock was pretty high and could have landed a bigger gig. Maybe he's got a long term methodical plan and wanted to get some experince as the boss at a smaller school. Now he has the full resume.

Or, maybe he's just a hillbilly and likes to live in Arky. I've been to Arky and I like it. Beautiful state.
Love the Arky, parents live there and have some property there....

No intention of trashing the bible or those who read it. This assistant thrashes JT in the article. Just a small piece of the larger picture of how slimy Tressel had been at OSU. Yes it is just one incident (though he did it annually, didn't he?), but it's part of the trend of dirty since at least 1988, and possibly before that as a Buckeye's assistant.

No intention of trashing the bible or those who read it. This assistant thrashes JT in the article. Just a small piece of the larger picture of how slimy Tressel had been at OSU. Yes it is just one incident (though he did it annually, didn't he?), but it's part of the trend of dirty since at least 1988, and possibly before that as a Buckeye's assistant.

I don't know that much about JT, but can you list out a few of the dirty things he is accused of? Honest request. There is "dirty" like "The U" dirty, or Switzer dirty, and there is "dirty" like texting recruits in a blackout period.

I don't know that much about JT, but can you list out a few of the dirty things he is accused of? Honest request. There is "dirty" like "The U" dirty, or Switzer dirty, and there is "dirty" like texting recruits in a blackout period.
Some allegations of money going to players, JT probably being aware, and being OK with it, etc. Mostly recruiting/covering for his players type stuff. He wasn't out banging VB players or his AC's wives.

Do you read it?

We know that people are going to be extra cautious of small school head coaches. The only thing that would concern me about Andersen is that he has never coached at a BCS school in any capacity. Really good success at Utah as DC and now Utah State though.

Speaking of small school head coaches, a guy starting to generate some buzz is Mike MacIntyre.

I understand reticence about varying coaches because there are examples of people who succeed and fail from all sorts of backgrounds. I bring up someone like Andersen (and think MacIntyre looks promising too) for two reasons: a) we need to accept that the upper admin is not going to break the bank to hire a big name coach; b) we need coaches who are going to bring in staffs who can recruit AND develop the bulk of players on 1, 2, and 3 deep.

I understand reticence about varying coaches because there are examples of people who succeed and fail from all sorts of backgrounds. I bring up someone like Andersen (and think MacIntyre looks promising too) for two reasons: a) we need to accept that the upper admin is not going to break the bank to hire a big name coach; b) we need coaches who are going to bring in staffs who can recruit AND develop the bulk of players on 1, 2, and 3 deep.
What do you consider breaking the bank to be?

Some allegations of money going to players, JT probably being aware, and being OK with it, etc. Mostly recruiting/covering for his players type stuff. He wasn't out banging VB players or his AC's wives.

Actually not JT "probably" being aware. More like JT aware of rules violations through e-mails and ignoring them so he could win. You can argue about how ridiculous the rules are, but when a coach blatantly disregards clear violations, it is hard to defend him.

Back