What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Who's fired first, Hawkins or McDaniels?

Who's fired first, Hawkins or McDaniels

• Total voters

sackman

Hates the Counting Crows.
Club Member
Bowlen won't put up with this chit much longer. He doesn't have the political baggage to deal with that Bohn/DiStephano/Benson have. He's in his second year and has fewer wins than Hawkins does. That's bad.

Unfortunately both wont be fired today but Hawk will be first with the Fist Pump right behind him.

Something tells me that Bowlen pulls the trigger mid season barring a big turnaround. I don't think Hawkins will go until the day after the day after Thanksgiving. Another day like today, and Bowlen might fire him right on the spot. When do the Chargers come in here? Sh*t the bed against Phyllis Rivers the way they did today, and that could be curtains.

If it were solely coaching, Hawkins would have been gone a long time ago. So it's clear there is something (Gawd knows what at this point) keeping him here.

Pat Bowlen can't afford to fire McDaniels/won't admit his mistake anytime soon.

No way McDouche gets fired before December. No way Hawkins is still CDH when December rolls around.

McDaniels will be here next year without a doubt. Bowlen has committed at least 3 seasons to this guy. More likely 4.

McD gets at least 1 more year after this and probably a 4th, like bombay said. There's absolutely no doubt who goes first.

Hawkins for sure.

NFL is easier to come back and make the playoffs, or at least contend. McDaniels is in year 2, Hawkins in year 5. NFL could be in a labor dispute and firing a coach would tap into Bowlen's pool of funds to make it through any labor problems. CU is heading into the Pac-12 with increased revenue potential in 2012 (2011 is another story), but the momentum of each situation is different.

By reports Bowlen is already about $26 million under the cap for this season. He is getting ready for a year without football revenue and paying a coach who isn't coaching isn't going to help him with that situation. From the looks of things Bowlen right now is a lot less concerned about winning on the field than he is about winning at the bank. McD gets the rest of this year barring a continued total and complete meltdown like today was over the next few weeks. Regardless of wins and losses, the Broncos will get their share of TV money and the stadium is for the most part sold out. Financially firing McD doesn't help Bowlen at all.

Hawkins on the other hand is a dead man walking. The only thing that has saved him so far is the political issue involved in paying off a couple of million dollars to a fired coach in a time of state and university budget slashing. My guess is that Hawkins last until after the OU game. At that point the idea of a bowl game will be faint, he will have four straight loses, the new coach will not be facing a pissed-off OU team. More importantly the election will be over so the buy-out will not be fodder for election grandstanding.
On the balance hiring a member of the current staff as the interm HC does not increase this years salary cost and might give them a shot at selling a few more tickets for the remainding home games thus improving revenue nets.

It appears to me clear that Hawkins will be gone, and soon. Maybe even before the season ends. He is not a good college coach and as people in my section last year often said, his success at Boise State now appears clearly to be mostly the work of Petersen. This year puts an exclamation point on that notion.

I see McDaniels as a whole different situation. It was amazing to me that Bowlen hired a head coach in the NFL as young and callow as this guy is. Turns out his situation with Cutler was probably the correct way to handle the situation. But the pick of Moreno in the first round was a real dud. As some of the best minds in the game have held, you get the best defensive player or an offensive linemen. The Broncos could use either instead of a serviceable running back which, without a good offensive line, is just serviceable. In the end I believe McDaniels just needs to get some years under his belt as a head coach in the league. That could take awhile but maybe he can be a good head coach. I don't think Hawkins can.

Just because McD survives longer, doesn't mean he's the better coach. McDick is awful. And to make matters worse, he's arrogant and he jettisoned the team's only stars, only to draft question marks. Hawk sucks too, but at least he's not brash.

McDumbass is Wade Phillips-bad as a head coach. Phillips was coach in the last most worst Raider game in Denver (1994), and he was gone after 2 seasons. But I think Bowlen will hang on to McDickweed for a 3rd season at least.

Dan will be gone first. IMO it happens anytime after the election and probably the best way to do it is just announce he will not be back but he can finish coaching out the season.

For the Broncos, if it looks like they will be playing next year and McD continues at his current pace finishing up this season 4-12/5-11 then I am hoping they go after Cowher or Gruden. That way people will be behind the coach from day 1 and there wont be such a divide like the McD era.

Shame about McD though, I really think he has a great football mind, it's just he personnel side. The guy should have had a GM to deal with the players so McD can just coach. And I still think Moreno could be great. Today was a disaster all around but the big weakness on this team is the run blocking. Can't do anything if you cant run the ball!

Bowlen isn't even considering getting rid of McD. He is married to this guy for at least another year. Plus with a distinct possibility of a lockout, he is not rocking the boat.

That game looked like CU vs. NU in 2001. The blocking up front was sealing off massive holes. The Broncos D looked like the pink skirts.

I hadn't thought about the CBA possibly impacting this. Interesting perspective. I would disagree that Bowlen won't admit a mistake, though. He fired a coach who had won two Super Bowls.

I hadn't thought about the CBA possibly impacting this. Interesting perspective. I would disagree that Bowlen won't admit a mistake, though. He fired a coach who had won two Super Bowls.

I agree he will admit a mistake, but all reports are that he likes the staff McD has around him much more this year than last (especially in terms of scouting). Couple that with the fact that McD is attempting to run an entirely different system both on offense and defense and I think he will give McD more time to get his guys. Now if McD has lost the locker room...Who knows?

I thought I read in the paper this am that Bowlen is "livid" about the game. Not that he's going to pull the trigger, but his patience has to be wearing thin. I just think this is the culmination of McDunce's system; throwing away our best players, trashing the entire offense, not knowing who's gonna start from week-to-week, etc. Talk about a snake oil salesman, McDoorknob has Dithering Dan backed way off the map.

Hawkins on the other hand is a dead man walking. The only thing that has saved him so far is the political issue involved in paying off a couple of million dollars to a fired coach in a time of state and university budget slashing. My guess is that Hawkins last until after the OU game. At that point the idea of a bowl game will be faint, he will have four straight loses, the new coach will not be facing a pissed-off OU team. More importantly the election will be over so the buy-out will not be fodder for election grandstanding.
On the balance hiring a member of the current staff as the interm HC does not increase this years salary cost and might give them a shot at selling a few more tickets for the remainding home games thus improving revenue nets.

I am starting to warm to the idea of if Mac will not be back until after the season, then let Keisau finish the season as an interm coach. i would like to see what he would do if given complete reigns of the offense. After seeing the OC that went to Oregon blowing up everyone, I wonder how much might Keisau know, than D2D doesn't let him do? On the bad side of that---he has D2D Jr as his QB to work with.

The only good player that the Broncs acquired under McDouche is Brandon Lloyd, and that was more luck than anything.

The only good player that the Broncs acquired under McDouche is Brandon Lloyd, and that was more luck than anything.

It's interesting. Not that I'm in any way arguing for the return of VaJayJay ****ler at this point, but it struck me yesterday that I've been hearing for two years that we were tearing this team down in order to bring in great "character" guys who were "warriors" and would put the team ahead of everything else. It also struck me that the team that has resulted laid down and quit 5 minutes into the game yesterday.

I think McD and Dan might both be gone at the end of the season. We need to see how the team rebounds, but McD had absolutely no answer yesterday and looked ****ing stunned at what was happening, just like the rest of the fans. I can't wait to hear his presser. He better have a real ****ing plan and no bull**** coach talk.

His answer about why he didn't play Tebow was so ****ing stupid. I wish a reporter would have baited him: "Do you think your #2 QB should have live game experience?" yes - "why the **** didn't you play tebow in the 4th" no - "you are a ****ing moron"

I'm glad McD didn't play Tebow. As much as I wanted to see him, he was going to get abused on that field. Orton was getting knocked all over the place. Our O-line looked horrible. I think Tebow may have come out of his garbage time injured.

Back