What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Why are you a CU fan...

i hopped on the cu football bandwagon back in 2008 and never turned back. go buffs.

:lol: I'm fairly certain there hasn't been much of a bandwagon to even hop onto since 2008 (football specifically)....glutton for punishment I see, just like the rest of us :gobuffs:

My dad is an alum '56-'61 and grew up a buff fan. It was the biggest program around in the 80's and 90's and several family friends went there (J. Knutson played a few years). Can't think of a reason not to be a fan.

:lol: I'm fairly certain there hasn't been much of a bandwagon to even hop onto since 2008 (football specifically)....glutton for punishment I see, just like the rest of us :gobuffs:
That's why it was easy to hop on; it was moving really really slow.:lol: :huh: :cry:

That ****ing kick was good.:bang:

There is no way he missed that kick. I have counted the revolutions and it is physically impossible for that ball to have missed the uprights.

Keeping on topic....

I have been a fan of Dan hawkins since day 1 and continue to love every place that he leaves.

Not an alum... Dad is a Mizzou Tiger, my mom a Jayhawk So naturally, i hated both of the teams. While growing up in Kansas my first memory of CU was the miracle in michigan game, and later, when saw ralphie run on tv, i picked the buffs. then we moved to Colorado my first college football game Was CU-Fresno st (IIRC, fresno advertised that in the DP that they couldnt sell their allotment and thats how we got tickets) the Craig Ochs game. I became a fan that game and later that year, 62-36 happened, i became a die hard. My sister graduated from cu my family has a adopted cu as our team, we have season tix in both Football and Bball. Our dog is named ralphie and I am glued to this site. that why i'm a buff fan.

Wanted my Dad to help get me into the Air Force Academy as he was a retired USAF Lt. Colonel. He told me to go to CU and do something different. He said I grew up in the AF and already knew how to say, "Yes Sir." Graduated CU 1972. Big and little sisters also alums. One HS coach was a former Buff and he made a great impression on me. On team as walk-on varsity reserve in '71 season. Didn't play, but a Buff-for-Life. Couldn't be anything else.

First time contributor on allbuffs, long time reader. I grew up a college basketball fan and a native of Kansas, therefore I rooted for KU basketball. I didn't find football until my cousin (Notre Dame Fan) was rooting for his team in the 1990 Orange Bowl. Being the little 8 year old jerk I was I decided to root against Notre Dame and for CU on that night. I watched every play and found myself not just rooting against the Irish but for the buffs. Cool colors and a cool mascot certainly didn't hurt when you were 8 years old. After that game I was a buffs fan for life.

Grew up playing (RB) but not good enough for college. Was a huge college football fan but initially didn't go to CU so I had other rooting interests. Became a Buff fan the year they dedicated the season to Aunese. Rooted for them ever since, but there is more... I moved to Colorado after graduating from my master's somewhere else.

Was a bit unsure of my next step and went on a mountain bike trip with my buddy. We saw a buffalo really up close in Yellowstone. I had already applied to the Ph.D. program at CU. I told my friend, if I get in, I am getting a buffalo tattoo on my arse.

Got in, Buff tattoo, not regretting it despite the several recent painful years.

Both my parents went to Boulder and I grew up a Buff fan. Had season tickets since I was born and knew the fight song when I was like two. So excited for my first year as a student!

I was rescued from the depths of the swamp by Oliver Lucas and Bill McCartney, brought out to God's country and was bitten by chief Niwot's curse on my recruiting trip. Never looked back. Graduated Dec. of 1992 with 2 orange Bowl trips, a Fiesta, blockbuster and Freedom. Not a bad 5 year span.

Born and raised a Buff.

My grandfather taught at CU from 1992-2003 and has taken me to many Buffs games in my life. The game that cemented my fandom was the game against Oklahoma in 2007 where Oklahoma came in as a championship contender at #3 in the country and we won on the game winning FG by Eberhart after a ridiculous 4th quarter comeback. That game is still the best Buffs game I've ever been to and ever since then I have been hooked. Before that game I had been to a fair amount of Buffs games but that game was the one that got me addicted to Buffs football.

I'm only 16 (I go to Monarch High School right now, class of 2014) and obviously I'm applying to CU when the time comes (business major). Go Buffs!

My brother started at Boulder in 1988 & sister started grad school there in 1989. My first CU football game was the 1989 Illinois game and I spent the entire time watching the student section and thinking how cool it would be to be a part of that.

Thought I'd end up at a small, private liberal arts school but applied to CU as my fallback. Got my acceptance letter to CU in Dec 1991 and thought - why am I considering anywhere else? My parents got a new puppy the next day & we named him (!) Ralphie (whoops). Enrolled in Fall 1992 and have been obsessed ever since.

My sister is an alum, I’m not. Back in the 80’s I joined the USMC rightafter high school, CU football was a good way to stay connected. I knew acouple of the guys on the team (toasted one NC-run starter for 2 TD’s in a HSgame), and happened to know a couple more in the 90’s (Slick Ricky’s least favoriteQB and the operatic FB, mostly), and became an even more fervent Buff fan asthey remained atop the national scene.
Moved to the Denver area and became a season ticket holderduring the Barnett era. Let ‘em go whenthe administration and media railroaded him. Knowingly (but happily) drank the koolaid while DII was in town, stillattended games, and learned how to make CUexcuses: bull**** I will be thrilledto see go in the next year or two. Havewitnessed pro and college games in numerous venues, nothing that compares to the Folsom experience!
Living away from home again, The Buffs are one of my best connectionsto Colorado until I can permanently return. I’ve been lurking here on Allbuffs for years, and finally decided tojoin the fray. Hope I don’t regretit. For those of you who have themcoming, here’s your damned beers and sam’iches – don’t choke on ‘em.

Dad took me to my first CU game in 1972 or 1973. I don't remember, because I would have only been 4 or 5 at the time. My first memory of CU football was against Wichita State - a school that has since disbanded it's football program. I remember seeing Billy Waddy tear OU a new asshole in 1976. I have seen the top of the mountain and the deepest, darkest depths of the valley of despair. I've lived and died with CU football my entire life. As a young lad at Boulder High School, we had no swimming pool for the swim team. We used the CU pool... No, not the nice one, the one down the tunnel in the Claire Small Gym basement. Every day, I walked by Sewall Hall on my way to swim practice. I took one look at the fabulously gorgeous girls there and said "I'm going to school here". And i did. CU is as much a part of me as my family, my job, my friends. I freaking LOVE CU, warts and all.

I grew up listening to stories from my grandfather and father. Both wereCU grads (grandfather '48, father '75), and both had terrific stories to tell. Was a fan of CU in HS during some of the Glory years (93 to 96). I played HS football with 2 guys the year before me who went on to play at CU (Ashworth and McCready). Graduated from CU in 2002.

Question for those who didn't grow up as CU fans but went to school at CU, did you have a similar love for CU during school (sports and whatnot) as you do know?

Last edited:
Question for those who didn't grow up as CU fans, did you have a similar love for CU during school (sports and whatnot) as you do know?
i rooted for cu football cause my school didnt have a football team and when i wasnt watching my team i watched Cu bball

i rooted for cu football cause my school didnt have a football team and when i wasnt watching my team i watched Cu bball
Did you go to Metro?

But I ask that because two of my roommates, one is a big football fan and the other is just getting into football, but neither of them could careless about CU football or basketball. Not sure if this is common, due to the losing (get if for football but not bball), or what...but it sucks.

Did you go to Metro?

But I ask that because two of my roommates, one is a big football fan and the other is just getting into football, but neither of them could careless about CU football or basketball. Not sure if this is common, due to the losing (get if for football but not bball), or what...but it sucks.
as i said on the last page i liked cu at a young age and metro didnt have a football team... as for bball i was a die hard for metro but had a personal issue with the AD and have kinda turned on them

I got my BS degree at CU, My wife got her Bachelors & Masters degree at CU, my son got his Doctorate at CU, and a number of other relatives got their degree's at CU too. Is that a good enough reason why family bleeds the Black & Gold? I would say yes.

Question for those who didn't grow up as CU fans but went to school at CU, did you have a similar love for CU during school (sports and whatnot) as you do know?

Both my parents went to Michigan, so growing up that was my team because that's all I knew. I became a CU fan the day I stepped on campus as a student because CU was MY school whereas UofM was always my parent's school.

Because im a glutton for punishment

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Yes not a cu fan growing up despite growing up in Colorado. Small town far from Denver is my excuse. Don't think I watched a single game on TV when I was younger. I am a huge fan after going to school here and have only missed less than 5 home games since my freshman year in 1996. Now addicted to basketball and have had season tix in that since 05 or so maybe even earlier.

Dad, aunt, uncle, both cousins went to CU. started going to boulder when I was 5 and just fell in love with everything in the town. went to my first game in 2001. It was late november, after Tgivings. I don't recall the team they played or the score...:smile:

Grew up an FSU fan, parents alma mater. Fell in love w/CU on the visit and was enamored by the program that wanted me vs the one that didn't. Indoctrination was complete by the time camp was over in 88.

Back