What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Why are you a CU fan...

A lot of my family went to CU, including me, and I have been going to games my whole life. Will never quit either.

I'm going to admit that my favorite thing about going to games when I was little were the marshmallow fights. That was the funniest tradition ever.

I was rescued from the depths of the swamp by Oliver Lucas and Bill McCartney, brought out to God's country and was bitten by chief Niwot's curse on my recruiting trip. Never looked back. Graduated Dec. of 1992 with 2 orange Bowl trips, a Fiesta, blockbuster and Freedom. Not a bad 5 year span.

:wave: Thanks, FlaBuff. My dad took my brother and I to watch the Boz's Sooners take on you and the buffs, a few weeks after CU had upset the nubs ('86?). The student section was going nuts heckling the Boz in pre game, and the stadium was so damn electric by kickoff, I thought Kyle Rappold's head was going to explode. I was sold.

I was always a casual CU and gasp... CSU fan growing up (went to more CSU games, no CU til age 15). My middle school best friend was a CU fan so I kinda moved towards that. Gasm's best friend then was a CSU fan, so the war was officially on after that. I wouldn't have it any other way now. Go Buffs

My mother attended CU I think she has needed a semesters worth of classes to graduate for some time now, and now she is happy to say that by semesters end she will be a CU grad. She was lucky enough to get a good job before she graduated so she put school off for a while. My uncle (moms brother) told me stories growing up about being friends with a few of the players and some lower level coaches. He always told me about the great games, national champ., miracle in mich.,Washington game after Sal passed, he would even talk about partying with a few of them. But back to topic I have known and Loved the Buffs since I can remember, it was the only school I applied to in HS and was accepted I have the letter framed in my living room, life took me down a different route though. Now I am working full time and going to night school with the hopes that I can live my dream/goal of being a CU grad or at least a CU drop out

colorado-coeds.jpg

When I was three or four I asked my dad which state had the most mountains and he said Colorado. They played on tv a lot (I was born in 86) and I started watching them and pulling for them and got hooked. Went to my first game when an undefeated little Ricky-led team played an undefeated John Blake Oklahoma/DeMond Parker team and cheered on the Buffs as they kept pace for the win in an ugly game where Cherrington/Barnes/Johnson kept pace with Parker enough to get the win. Went to several Patton-era Buffs games at OU, as well. Wanted to go to Colorado for college-couldn't afford the out-of-state tuition (it was 26,000 back in 03 when I was looking at schools), so I ended up going to an HBCU here in Oklahoma on a full-ride, but got hooked on the Buffs.

I grew up a big--make that huge-- Buff fan. My uncle is on the All-Century team (played '55-'57, including 1st Orange Bowl). There's acutally a youtube link for the '57 Bowl:

[video=youtube;brRscjP2qqQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brRscjP2qqQ[/video]

Better believe I'm damn proud to have him in my family!

I attended CU '87-'90, my wife is a '91 alum.

We'll be black & gold forever and am now indoctrinating my two kids to be Buffs.

Grew up a huge sports fan, but with no particular ties to CU. I had visited Colorado many times though to see my granddad, for summer camp, or to go skiing. When it was time to pick a college, I wanted a place where a great athletic program was part of the experience. Not the only criteria, but important nonetheless. In the mid-90s, FB was rolling and Chauncey was on the hoops squad. And the chance to hike or ski whenever I wanted put CU over the top. Tad's got hoops back to a good place. As for football (sigh)...I'm holding out hope for Embo to bring us back.

As for Tini's question - that was a no brainer. Once I enrolled, CU was my team for life!

Nebraska rejected my fanship application and I've been looking for ways to get back at them ever since.

Reactions: DBT
Question for those who didn't grow up as CU fans but went to school at CU, did you have a similar love for CU during school (sports and whatnot) as you do know?

I always liked the Buffs and they were a program that I would always root for when I caught them on TV. Buffs had swag, how could you not like it? However, the second I decided to attend CU, my previous college athletics obsession, UVA, became a distant second. That's how it's supposed to work, 'tini, no 9 favorite teams.

If UVA did one thing, it prepared me early for seemingly near-constant athletic disappointment. That has served me well in the past few dark years of CU.

Last edited:
No. I always liked the Buffs and they were a program that I would always root for when I caught them on TV. Buffs had swag, how could you not like it? However, the second I decided to attend CU, my previous college athletics obsession, UVA, became a distant second. That's how it's supposed to work, 'tini, no 9 favorite teams.

If UVA did one thing, it prepared me early for seemingly near-constant athletic disappointment. That has served me well in the past few dark years of CU.
Every other team is a far distant second for me, not sure why people don't understand that still.

Every other team is a far distant second for me, not sure why people don't understand that still.

Tin, I've got to admit, I've got a 2nd favorite team too, and it's perfectly OK. My 2nd favorite team is whoever is playing the fuskers.

Parents took me to the spring game when I was 10 years old in 1986.I was wearing a cast on my left foot,after the game a couple players/alumni signed my cast which just made my day and turned me into a fan for life.

Grew up in Lafayette. I've been a fan since I can remember. There have been great times, and there have been some bad times, but not matter what, my fanship never waivered. I've lived on the east coast, the west coast, and places in between; I've lived overseas as well. In every place there have been folks who tried to influence me to show allegiance to local team. Ain't happend -- ain't gonna happen. Through thick and thin .....

Nebraska rejected my fanship application and I've been looking for ways to get back at them ever since.

Hell, Jens, you filled out the paperwork using proper English. They had no ****ing clue what you were talking about.

my parents have had CU season tickets since before i was born. i am 35+4 years old now.

my dad did under grad at U Cal Santa Barbara. Dental at Southern Cal and ortho school at U Cal San Fran. he was a USC fan.

out of ortho school, mom and dad were looking for a place to live outside of cal. they didnt want the east coast nor did they want middle america.

they chose longmont, colorado. logical.... :lol:

one of the first people they met was a dentist in town who is a CU grad. he was a swimmer... back when CU had a swim team. he had season tickets to CU football. my parents joined him.

so, i just grew up going to CU football games. my first CU memory was CU absolutly getting thier asses kicked in a driving rainstorm by wyoming. it is the only time i can remember my parents ever leaving a game early. this was the CF era.

we only have one family member who is a grad of CU. that is my oldest brother who is a grad of the CU dental school in denver.

together, my dad has a total of 6 season tickets and my brother has 4. all in a row in section 119. they would move closer to the 50 but, its tough to get 10 seats in a row like that in that area.

we tailgate on the east side of the stadium with family friends that include that dentist that i talked about earlier and some others that my parents have made through the years.

no matter the game, one of the things i love most about Buff games is the time i get to spend with the people i was around growing up at these tailgate parties. so many great memories of watching the buffs climb from the dismay of losing to drake to the MNC that it is just a part of my blood now.

as CU made its climb, the tailgates got just that more important and the after game celebrations were that much sweeter.

not an alum, but i bleed the BnG as much as anyone! :gobuffs:

Question for those who didn't grow up as CU fans but went to school at CU, did you have a similar love for CU during school (sports and whatnot) as you do know?

Grew up in the Philly 'burbs with regrettably little interest in college sports...no family legacies or anything like that, as my parents went to schools with little athletic tradition and have no alumni pride anyways for their respective schools...I wanted to change that and start a legacy of my own, so for my college search I limited it to large D-I schools before I considered other factors with the schools on my list, and I also wanted to go far from home too...having been out to Colorado on summer vacations during high school, I realized how much I liked it out there and realized that it would be a perfect place to go to college...CU was my #1 choice during my college apps process, and fortunately I got in...the rest is history...

Interestingly, I've had two cousins, both from the East Coast, go to CU after me, so within my family, I feel like I may have started a little bit of a tradition there too...

Anyways, Dear old CU will always be #1 from me, and though I've only been back to Boulder once since I graduated, I do my best to stay as involved from a distance as I can with the goings on at CU and in Boulder...hopefully one day I will be able to make it back out there permanently...

OK - legacy resume'
Old man - Arch. Eng '71
Rack - Arch Eng. '96
Ms. Rack - Journ. '93
Rack Li'l Sis - Comms '06
BIL - Bus '04 (although first 2 yrs at Whoregon - effer!)
3 sons - have been fully indoctrinated, now have to make sure we get back to CO to get them to CU

First memory of CU is mom and dad leaving me behind in Edmond, OK while they went to the OU game in '78(?) I was pissed.
Then the old man introduced me to Zim and 850 KOA broadcasts while we lived in small town (Dolores) CO in early-mid 80's. Remember being glued to the ABC college football ticker in Boise, ID in '86 when we beat the nubs 20-10. When we finally saw 20-10 and "final" I think my dad did a backflip.
Continued fandom after moving to Dallas for HS. Dad was alumni club pres. in Dallas (89-91 - for those of you who know the pres now, she took over from my dad) Made the trip up to Boulder my jr. year for 26-21 vs. the nubs and knew then Boulder was where I would be going to school.
KNowing I would need help to pay for school, applied for Navy ROTC scholarship and holy ****e I got it, and holy ****E I'm still in. Found out from a friend in the admissions department at CU-OU game in Boulder in 1990 that I had been accepted.

Attended Boulder '91-'96, knew BP and Wally through ROTC, met Ms. Rack there and have been spreading the CU love all over this great country and the Navy since 1996 - oh, and Austin, TX Alumni Club prez in 2009-2010 that where GiA ran into each other. Also Spiff was one of the reserve unit COs that drilled at the Navy Reserve Center in Austin where I was CO.

A Buff born and bred, my mom's alma mater Mizzou, never had a chance - hope to have two more headed Boulder way in 2018 and one more in 2022 (that one may be the next Joe Romig/Joe Garten for the Buffs.)

Back