What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Why are you a CU fan...

Buffalo born, Buffalo bred and when I die I'll be a Buffalo dead.

Dittoes! First game was when I accompanied my dad (an alum) when he delivered blocks of ice from the old Ice House (located next to where the Spruce Pool is) to the Balch Field House for concession use on game days, only it had a dirt floor and wasn't known as "Balch" back then. Later on, my dad would buy us the 50 cent Knothole tickets to attend games after our Boulder Rec league FB games. He'd give me a buck for a Coke and a candy apple and let me keep the change! Got chinstraps from Hale Irwin and Estes Banks, which they threw into the crowds on either side of the stairs, as they trudged from the field, up to the Fieldhouse after a game. There was no Dal Ward Center back then and Folsom still had a track around it!

Last edited:
Dittoes! First game was when I accompanied my dad (an alum) when he delivered blocks of ice from the old Ice House (located next to where the Spruce Pool is) to the Balch Field House for concession use on game days, only it had a dirt floor and wasn't known as "Balch" back then. Later on, my dad would buy us the 50 cent Knothole tickets to attend games after our Boulder Rec league FB games. He'd give me a buck for a Coke and a candy apple and let me keep the change! Got chinstraps from Hale Irwin and Estes Banks, which they threw into the crowds on either side of the stairs, as they trudged from the field, up to the Fieldhouse after a game. There was no Dal Ward Center back then and Folsom still had a track around it!

Wow. This post needs a Norman Rockwell painting.

My family just always rooted for CU. My Mom and Dad divorced when I was very young, but my Mom held on to her fanhood for CU (Dad was a law student in the 70s and Mom went to the games with him), and I was a huge sports fan. My permanent fanhood was cemented from '94 forth. 1994 is really the first year I remember multiple games from, although I remember Mom screaming there was a flag after the Rocket's Orange Bowl TD punt return in 1990 (1991?).

My interest in the Buffs wavered a bit while I was a student (2001-2005). I realized very quickly that the players weren't super heroes in gold helmets, but regular classmates who excelled at a sport. But, ever since I moved away from Colorado, the athletic teams at CU have become my tie to back home. And I care about those teams way too damn much.

I was a huge college football fan growing up. I grew up outside of Washington DC and had an east coast bias (big Tennessee fan, my dad played for them). I felt trapped in DC and wanted to try something different for college, preferably with better skiing. I went to Breckenridge for spring break my junior year of HS and visited CU, CSU, and Mines. I figured myself to head to a smaller school. But all it took was a beautiful 75 degree spring day during my campus visit. The campus was beautiful and so were the ladies in their sundresses hanging out on Farrand Field. Thats all it took pull me in. That and CSU's ugly, drab 1970's look campus. As soon as I got my acceptance letter, my allegiances switched to CU. I graduated in 2002 and probably the greatest two weeks of my college life were the 2001 Nub game and the following Big 12 championship game. The Nub game was just special and there was nothing better than walking out of Cowboy Stadium with a giant smile on my face and a stadium full of sad Texas fans.

Growing up in PA everyone tries to fill your head with how great PSU is and how they are the class act of college football. Well I dont like to go with the crowd so I set out to find a school to root for. I was watching TV and saw a story about Sal Aunese and the support he was getting from the Buff Family and I was hooked. Been a Buff fan ever since and when someone around here asks why? I tell them becasue PSU sucks. Glory Colorado!

Grew up in Iowa. Dad watched college sports all day on Saturday. Don't recall CU. I went to CU for my MBA. I was broke and didn't have a ticket for football games. I lived in Crosman, which was a grad student dorm at the time. I could hear the football games and started getting interested. At that time, athletes lived in Aden and one night, they went streaking in the snow. This was 75-76.

Some of the friends I made were in to basketball. One of them was dating a basketball player, so we got free tix for the basketball games. Eventually got season tickets to both football and basketball.

The best years, of course, were the the two Orange Bowls I attended and Fiesta Bowls I attended. Still have lots of national championship gear and still hate the Fuskers.

Just being around Boulder in any sport when the Fuskers were coming to town leads one to hate that team. I already hated the state because we always had to drive across it on family vacations and it was so totally boring.

:gobuffs: Now I am a Buff fan for life who wants my Pac12 Network. I hang my Colorado flag outside on game days--to go along with all the Iowa flags in my neighborhood.

I was just a big fan of Vince Okruch and then the Buffs kinda grew on me

Booger man?

Undergrad degree 1986...boned a lot of cute CU girls...loved the Spoon...Guarded the keg til it floated...passed petite chicks up to the top tier...tossed urine filled balloons at husker grandmas...etc.

Wow. This post needs a Norman Rockwell painting.

See? There was life before twitter!

Lemmee tell you about the first "mobile phone" I used: it was about the size of an old WWII walkie-talkie and that was just the handpiece part! I was honored the sr. partner let me take it to a remote meeting way up in Ft Morgan!

Back