What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Why Askia Booker Is One Of The All-Time Great Buffs

I can't believe people are arguing that Ski isn't an all time great. Does he have flaws? Of course he does. Who doesn't have flaws? I think the list of people without flaws would be identical to a list of multiple NBA MVPs.

I can't believe people are arguing that Ski isn't an all time great. Does he have flaws? Of course he does. Who doesn't have flaws? I think the list of people without flaws would be identical to a list of multiple NBA MVPs.

Even then. Magic and Bird weren't fast and didn't have great ups. Same with Duncan and Dirk. Kareem was skinny. Charles was too short for his position. MJ wasn't a great 3pt shooter, especially for a 2 guard. Kobe isn't either. Neither is LeBron. Etc., etc. Everyone's game has holes.

Teams that achieve unprecedented things matter. And if a player is one of the 2 or 3 guys that drives those teams, he's an all-time great for an organization.

That's the main thing with Ski's legacy. Ben Mills graduating with more wins than any player in CU history means nothing to me. He was just a guy. Ski graduating with that record means the world. He's been a driving force for achieving those wins.

Nobody is saying the Ski should replace Chauncey on the list of top Buffs or even Burks or Dre or Spencer.

What is obvious is that he has been an important player for a team that has won a lot of games and been a lot of fun to watch.

He has his weaknesses, he has had his time when he has frustrated us as fans. That's part of the deal.

Overall though he is going to leave CU as a significant part of the history of the program. Where he stands on the list of all time players is a debate for some other off-season. For right now just be glad we have him and enjoy watching him play.

At a minimum, we're not dancing last year post-Spencer nor winning the Pac tournament and beating UNLV 2012 minus Ski.

I just find it funny that it's blasphemy to criticize any small detail of Askia's game

It's not, actually. Maybe that's why it's funny.

Agreed with snow - I think we may be hard on him sometimes, but I'm about 98% sure he's harder on himself than we are on the boards. There's no improvement if you cant find 1 thing wrong with what you're doing.

I just find it funny that it's blasphemy to criticize any small detail of Askia's game

Something we agree on. I don't consider Askia among any of the greats. In fact, I'd trade him right now for that 2 guard that will replace him next year. We'd be better.

You guys are all ridiculous. Joel Klatt is at the top of a lot of CU QB records...does that mean he's one of the greatest all-time buffs? No. It just means he played for 3-4 years where most guys play 2 at most. Same goes for ski, except I like ski whereas I dislike klatt. Sorry to ruin the circle jerk...

5 things:

- Cody Hawkins has replaced Klatt in a lot of places
- Sefo is pipping both
- lots of guys have played 4 years for CU hoops many of them will finish above Ski.
- Booker is setting these marks while we are as good as we ever have been not while we were an also ran or a joke like Klatt/Sefo/Cody

and of course:

-
2013-12-0714_38_55.gif

It's really not. Most of this board has criticized Ski's game during various slumps. However, we're not in 3 straight Dances without Ski. I'm personally not putting him up there at the very top, but he is simply instrumental to where we are as a program. You've got to have a guy like Ski. It's not his fault our PG situation is what it is, but you'll be damn thankful he's here once you see our youth likely has a ways to go.

Last edited:
The problem for me is the aura that goes along with being included in "all-time great buffs." To me, seeing Ski's body of work, he's not there. He is definitely a solid guy that no doubt has helped us get to where we are now, but to be an "all-timer," that's some rarified air right there. There can be no questioning the guy's heart, but it takes more than being a oft-dependable player who has seen significant PT since his freshman year when the program has reached unmatched success to automatically qualify as an all-time great.

I mean, since we're on the subject, how many all-time great buffs are there, anyway? I would imagine it can't be more than 7-10, right? Maybe even just 5-7? Even if you count up to ten "all-time great buffs," I don't think Ski makes it in there. That's no slight on Ski, but I'm just being honest in my opinion.

I mean, since we're on the subject, how many all-time great buffs are there, anyway? I would imagine it can't be more than 7-10, right? Maybe even just 5-7? Even if you count up to ten "all-time great buffs," I don't think Ski makes it in there. That's no slight on Ski, but I'm just being honest in my opinion.

Well, last year we did a thing about "All-Time Great Buffs". There was voting and it was pretty much a landslide that Chauncey, Jay Humphries, Birdie and Cliff Meely were in the top grouping. Alec Burks joined them on the "team". Other players mentioned were Ken Charlton, Shaun Vandiver, Jack Harvey, Richard Roby, Cory Higgins, Donnie Boyce and there was mention of Dre and possibly Spencer. Now that Spencer's had his career cut short due to injuries, I really think Ski will end up passing him (although Spencer will probably be the second most loved player in CU basketball history behind Chauncey).

Does Ski belong in that top 5 grouping? Nope. But I don't see how you can look at the numbers and his impact on the program and not think that he's a potential top 10 guy in school history. Only 3 guys have put up 1,000 points, 500 rebounds, 200 assists and 100 steals. Ski has a chance at becoming the fourth.

Well, last year we did a thing about "All-Time Great Buffs". There was voting and it was pretty much a landslide that Chauncey, Jay Humphries, Birdie and Cliff Meely were in the top grouping. Alec Burks joined them on the "team". Other players mentioned were Ken Charlton, Shaun Vandiver, Jack Harvey, Richard Roby, Cory Higgins, Donnie Boyce and there was mention of Dre and possibly Spencer. Now that Spencer's had his career cut short due to injuries, I really think Ski will end up passing him (although Spencer will probably be the second most loved player in CU basketball history behind Chauncey).

Does Ski belong in that top 5 grouping? Nope. But I don't see how you can look at the numbers and his impact on the program and not think that he's a potential top 10 guy in school history. Only 3 guys have put up 1,000 points, 500 rebounds, 200 assists and 100 steals. Ski has a chance at becoming the fourth.

To me, it's not the stats. Those stats are definitely there.

What makes Ski an all-time CU great are the big moments he has delivered during the best run of CU basketball. Even if he hasn't always been the leader of the team over his time here, he has been the heart and balls of the team. More than anyone, he took that mantle from Carlon and Nate.

To me, it's not the stats. Those stats are definitely there.

What makes Ski an all-time CU great are the big moments he has delivered during the best run of CU basketball. Even if he hasn't always been the leader of the team over his time here, he has been the heart and balls of the team. More than anyone, he took that mantle from Carlon and Nate.

They showed our huddle right before going into 3 OT. Just for context, USC had everyone left at that point, Reinhardt was going insane from deep and we had already been ravaged by guys fouling out (and the prior injuries). It seemed like we would finally lose the game through attrition. Ski was firing our guys up -- emotion pouring out. He was refusing to lose.

On top of the 43 points and big heart, ski brought his own cheering section to the Galen center. He singlehandedly made Colorado cool amidst a trojan sea of hideous bro haircuts.

On top of the 43 points and big heart, ski brought his own cheering section to the Galen center. He singlehandedly made Colorado cool amidst a trojan sea of hideous bro haircuts.

That must have been epic for his family. Also, Blake Street Tavern owner was there in the first row. Love going to have dinner there; added perk that any profit will flow back into CU's athletic because the owner is a BAMF.

I've never considered Ski to have a shot at the NBA. I'm having second thoughts on that. One stat they showed last night, and this encourages me for the entire team, was his scoring average progression year by year. The kid just keeps getting better and better.

I've never considered Ski to have a shot at the NBA. I'm having second thoughts on that. One stat they showed last night, and this encourages me for the entire team, was his scoring average progression year by year. The kid just keeps getting better and better.

I'm wondering that too. Isaiah Thomas (former Husky) has had a good career so far and I don't see their games being all that different. Thomas' handle is a little better but Ski's a better shooter. And I'm not saying Ski is on the level of Steph Curry, but there's similarities there too. If he finishes strong, he at least gets some FA offers.

I know this will be considered inappropriate after last night's performance (along with a number of other great Ski memories that have been recalled), but when he's been criticized this year,

(Oops early post error - continued) - it's been due to inconsistency. I'm really not trying to downgrade anything, just noting that 8 pts against WY and 5 pts in a 2-pt loss to Washington were disappointing. And I certainly blame lack of team support for some of those issues (not to mention 2 early fouls vs Wash). This would be my concern for the NBA - would they have the patience to overlook 'bad days,' hopefully as his consistency improved. He has shown improvement each year, as pointed out.

One thing for sure, it's become Ski's team, and the Buffs will be looking to him for the rest of this season.

Love Ski. Just not among the all-time greats, imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back