What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Why do Mike MacIntyre teams struggle to run the football?

I'm sure you're onto something with coaching philosophy, but I think part of the problem is that we just don't have very good running backs. I think our OL was pretty underrated in run blocking last year (pass blocking is a completely separate issue). For instance, we were 11th in the nation on 3rd or 4th and short last year. We were 12th in the nation on the preventing running plays for getting tackled for losses. Yet, we were 109th in the nation in ypc at 3.75. That screams " OL created a hole and a couple yards of space, but your running backs did jack**** after that."

It gets worse than that. We ran like crazy against UMass & Nicholls St. In conference, we averaged 2.8 YPC. With all those pass attempts to the sides of the fields, you'd think that would set up some good run opportunities up the middle. That's pathetic.

It gets worse than that. We ran like crazy against UMass & Nicholls St. In conference, we averaged 2.8 YPC. With all those pass attempts to the sides of the fields, you'd think that would set up some good run opportunities up the middle. That's pathetic.
This. In statistics, you remove outliers to see the real trends, and we SUCKED running the ball against average to good opponents. This needs to change or we will suck again this year IMO.

That unass game is what the buffs should do every home game. Commit to the run in the first half, limit risk and mistakes and then teams are wore down in the second half from the altitude.

The MM regime has no ability to construct a successful running game. Zero. It's not in their DNA. It's not a priority.

the last time CU looked strong running the ball was the 2011 season finale vs utah...across the front..bak, miller, handler, atkins and danno..it was a tremendous help that they had a real running back in speedy who used the cut back very efficiently...if you have a chance, look at that game tape...utah had Star and at least one of the kruger[nfl] brothers. In 2012, the buffs had a sub par qb in webb and utilized a true frosh full back in powell at RB...not ideal...cant say that there hasnt been talented OL guys on the roster over the last 4-5 years..bak, alex lewis and munyer on nfl rosters - miller played a couple of years..handler in cowboys camp, etc. Mike Mac brought in a jv S and C guy and OL coach both of whom retarded the growth of the OL guys - heck, Davis Webb backed out of CU committment after seeing OL in spring game. One of the issues is the lack of home grown OL guys who stick it out.

The OL has never been good and it doesn't look much better this year. The reports I have heard about the starting OL so far is not good. We need the Defense to get the job done because I don't see much happening with our starting offense.
Personnel decisions have always been questionable with HCMM.
We shall see what happens with this Group once the game starts but no one looked Pac12 ready at the scrimmage.

Badbones69 says:

".....The reports I have heard about the starting OL so far is not good...."

You are correct. The utees have had problems. I mean barely beating the Buffs lately. This year could be the year the Buffs own em.

In fact I predict they do. Write it down Moron

Badbones69 says:

".....The reports I have heard about the starting OL so far is not good...."

You are correct. The utees have had problems. I mean barely beating the Buffs lately. This year could be the year the Buffs own em.

In fact I predict they do. Write it down Moron
Sorry I misspelled Mormon.

So if our #2 DL is having no problem dealing with our #1 OL I would be concerned and calling me a moron isn't going to change this.

So what do we do well running the ball? When you think of CU running the ball successfully what does it look like?

Even teams that aren't known a good running teams usually have some particular thing they do well. When you think of the good running teams you can usually identify a particular play or type of play that everyone knows they are going to do and the do it well anyways. Think back a ways, does anyone think that the fuskers didn't know that 98G was coming. CU had run it all season. Knowing it was coming didn't help them any.

If CU can develop some aspect of the running game that they consistently do well it will force teams to respond and make the other things we are trying to do more effective. So far I can't identify that.

Wouldn't anyone think that this is a byproduct of switching conferences and the division we play in? In the old Big 12 North, we could look forward to cold weather games in Ames, Lincoln, Manhattan, Lawerence, and Columbia. Now we are in warm weather sites such as LA, Tempe, and Tucson. Pac-12 is more of a finesse conference unlike the old Big 8/12.

The running game can prevail in the P12...more like what Arizona and Oregon has done which is different than what we saw in the Big 8/12. Even Texas Tech produced a 1,000 yard rusher out of the same spread offense that Chivaeri has helped install.

I'd pin it on the OL and we haven't had a good OL in awhile.

We can run the ball well, UCLA game is a great example. It is not our OL talent, size, age, or experience. The only thing that stops the run is our coaching. Our dumbass play calls stop the run.

Oregon's problem was defense last year, their offense dipped when Adams went down, but their defense was atrocious. They gave up 485 ypg, 117th nationally.
Talked with the Duck fans around me at the game last season and they were totally incensed that their DC was ever promoted to that position (he was the LB coach, a total Peter Principle guy). He was returned to that position and a new DC was brought in by Helfrich.

I'd agree.

On the other side of the line they are apparently starting an FCS QB and have a new OC.

Could all add up to being the Mighty Ducks in a turnaround. Or Helfrich being shown the door at worse. Though probably some middling problems as they implement new systems and change their recruiting patten to fit all the new. Folks in Eugene still cant forget that under Helfrich they suck at recruiting QBs. Which should not be their problem.
UO totally lucked out with a 3* Mariota. He was on few people's radar as a potential Heisman guy as a HS recruit.

Back