What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Why I am tired of the talk of Utah as a Rival.

When you look at the PAC12 there is no way around Utah being a rival. I think we all want to be king of the mountains, and it doesn't have to mean more than that. We can still try to be the best and set up a powerhouse rivalry with Oregon, USC or whoever else emerges as the best of their own regional rivalry, but there is no way around this natural set up.

It is basically the exact same as our CSU rivalry. I would happily trade that for Utah. And I still would prefer a 3 or six year cycle of CSU, Wyoming and Air Force.

You can easily create new rivals in the Pac-12 outside of Utah because look at Oregon/UW. There is really no logical reason that should have become a rivalry, but it is now one of the nastier ones in the Pac-12.

You can easily create new rivals in the Pac-12 outside of Utah because look at Oregon/UW. There is really no logical reason that should have become a rivalry, but it is now one of the nastier ones in the Pac-12.

You've played UW over 100 times, basically every year since 1900. I fail to see why it isn't a logical rivalry..

Geography + History = strong components to a rivalry

With Utah, we have the geographical connection, but the historical connection isn't there - plus the Pac-12 is kind of forcing this "rivalry" on both schools which is not the appropriate catalyst for jumpstarting a rivalry...

While I agree that a rivalry cannot be manufactured, but it's ignorant to say that Utah doesn't have a leg up on the process for this to become a rivalry again. Even wikipedia has a page devoted to this "rivalry".

So let me hit you with some knowledge.
Ben-Stiller-in-Dodgeball-006.jpg

A Few Facts: Both schools have faced each other 58 times (far more times than CU vs any other Pac-12 team) with Utah being the eighth most played school in CU's history. In 1961, Utah delivered CU's (9-1) lone loss for the regular season.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumble_in_the_Rockies

Now, I'm not saying that the Utes should be the rival. As others have already posted, they are not a good measuring stick for us to step up our competition to (eg. USC), which is a fair point. But to disregard them completely is naive.

Last edited:
Some are talking about Utah like Nebraska talked about us when it came to "Rivalry". I find that interesting. Carry on.

When you look at the PAC12 there is no way around Utah being a rival. I think we all want to be king of the mountains, and it doesn't have to mean more than that. We can still try to be the best and set up a powerhouse rivalry with Oregon, USC or whoever else emerges as the best of their own regional rivalry, but there is no way around this natural set up.

It is basically the exact same as our CSU rivalry. I would happily trade that for Utah. And I still would prefer a 3 or six year cycle of CSU, Wyoming and Air Force.

There you go. We had no true natural rivalry in all those Big 8/12 years. Anyone says that Nebraska was our natural rivalry needs their head to be checked.

EDIT: Also if you compare Utah to CSU, the Utes clearly has a history that is much more like ours so it should be a better natural rivalry than those puke greens from Ft. Fun.

EDIT 2: And CSU will have some Nub fans there solely for the purpose of booing CU....ever heard of the Ramsker trophy?

Last edited:
Utah-CU has a lot of history and many people are still wondering why those two stopped playing after 1962. Between 1910 to 1947, the league championship was usually decided between us and the Utes. Now, wasn't that a rivalry? That was why Utah was chosen to be our travel partner in the Pac-12.

Utah is more of a natural rivalry than Nebraska will ever be and there are already rivalries between the two states' NBA and MLS teams plus the skiing teams at both schools are part of a friendly rivalry.

This rivalry between the Buffs and Utes started off the right foot by CU upsetting the Utes which did cost them a spot in the Pac-12 CCG. We should expect their best shot in Boulder this year and the good news is that it is the time of the year when the Buffs tend to play their best football while Utah has usually peaked by then.

Instead of fighting it...we should be embracing it. The only difference between us and them historically is that 1990 National Championship. Had the Big Six never invited us back in the late 1940's, Utah would have been our rival all those years...keep that in mind.

maurice-jones-drew-is-busting-out.gif

As far as history goes, I can safely say I have been watching Buff football before about half the posters on this board were born. Never once have I thought of Utah as a rival or of any historical significance in relation to what is happening today. Princeton since 1869 has the most National Championships - 26. No one else is even close. But just because they were a powerhouse once upon a time has no bearing on today.

Now rivalries do not have to be based on geography. Coach Mac chose NU as the rival not because they were geographically close but because that was the program that he wanted to emulate. He felt that Tom Osborne ran a clean program, was graduating his players, and was winning a lot of football games (that was Mac's thinking and if you don't agree with it take it up with him.) He did not expect NU to embrace CU as a rival but he wanted everyone to know where the bar was set.

As far as history goes, I can safely say I have been watching Buff football before about half the posters on this board were born. Never once have I thought of Utah as a rival or of any historical significance in relation to what is happening today. Princeton since 1869 has the most National Championships - 26. No one else is even close. But just because they were a powerhouse once upon a time has no bearing on today.

Now rivalries do not have to be based on geography. Coach Mac chose NU as the rival not because they were geographically close but because that was the program that he wanted to emulate. He felt that Tom Osborne ran a clean program, was graduating his players, and was winning a lot of football games (that was Mac's thinking and if you don't agree with it take it up with him.) He did not expect NU to embrace CU as a rival but he wanted everyone to know where the bar was set.

Cool story bro...didn't Big Mac actually go to the fans before declaring NU as the rival?

You must be as old as DBT...he might have been old enough to see the Utes and Buffs go at it back in the heyday of the Skyline Conference.

Some are talking about Utah like Nebraska talked about us when it came to "Rivalry". I find that interesting. Carry on.

Some Husker fans did regard CU as rivals so there will be always divisions on rivalries.

Well you can hop on the bandwagon and hate UW or Oregon fans because that seems the popular thing to do or you can do what one of the other posters said. USC is always the school that Pac-12 schools base how well they are doing on how they play against USC.

Don't underestimate us, Buckshot. We have more than enough hate for all 3 of you...

Cool story bro...didn't Big Mac actually go to the fans before declaring NU as the rival?

You must be as old as DBT...he might have been old enough to see the Utes and Buffs go at it back in the heyday of the Skyline Conference.

Mac never took it to the fans for approval...he decided it on his own and demanded that the CU schedule be printed with the Nebraska game in Red so everyone knew it was a rivalry game...that was in 1982. Mac said years later that he knew that when we beat Nebraska that CU would have a good program. Nebraska fans did not want the rivalry.

what makes you think they won't continue to improve. They already had good fan support and were successful with the pathetic financial support the Mountain West provides. Now that they have the support of the PAC:12 if they do this smartly they can build a great program.

Just don't see it happening. On another board a guy was giving me run for having a better rivals ranked class. Just had to laugh. They're coming off a bowl win bragging about a manufactured ranking which was barely ahead of ours coming out of a 3-10 season. If Utah isn't smart enough to see where this is going, it's probably too late for them.

Utah will have a much harder time competing on a regular basis in the Pac 12 than it did in the MWC. That's just a fact. I suspect they're fine with that when they look at the big gob of money they're raking in.

Utah will eventually be competitive. Because of their recent successes as BCS busters, their fan base expects winning. It will take a while to replenish their roster with players capable of competing in the Pac-12 week in and week out. I think their school offers about the same type of things to recruits as CU does. Also they have been relevant in football alot more recently than we have.

I do not expect them to become USC but I think they will be a contender a lot sooner than most give them credit for.

it could happen....beating them on their home turf is a nice first step.

we lost a lot 'rival' truck when we left the old Big 8 teams behind. good for us, but not a lot of history yet as there was with NU, OU, or even MU which was a bit of an understated rivalry with McCartney and Barney being MU guys. both wearing black and gold. or us wearing black and gold and them wearing black and hot dog mustard.

I don't give a ratz-azz about having a conference "rival".

I want CU to be so good that every other team in the conference hates us. That's the goal.

USC is the measuring stick for all in the PAC 12 to measure themselves by, this will be the annual game that I will look forward to the most, when we beat them we will know that we really have a special team that given year...
"a really special team" I suppose our 5-7 and 7-6 2009/2010 teams were "really special" then?

Utah will develop into a rival again, I have no doubt. They'll never be the measuring stick the fuskers were.

Back