What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Why is Boyle unwilling to move on from Prioleau and/or Rohn?

buffs233

Club Member
Club Member
I don't blame the AD in large part of the decline in the basketball program. I blame Boyle - his program is stale.

Rohn and Prioleau have been on his staff for seven years. Having met both, I am not surprised neither is an effective recruiter. Very quiet and not very personable. Also, how does Boyle expect Rohn at 5'6" to recruit and coach big men????

Once Boyle ran-off Abatemarco and hired Billups, no doubt recruiting declined and attrition significantly increased. I think Bill Grier was a good hire and good recruiter, but where are the connections to the AAU circuit we desperately need to recruit the great player?

I contend Boyle is not willing to play that game, but he still thinks he can win without many highly recruited players. I disagree - this philosophy has caught up with him. Now, to top-it-off, I read rumors that he is blaming the AD (not that they can't improve) for the drop-off in the program?

I see am super frustrated with Boyle, as I see poor talent evaluation, ridiculous attrition and an absolute unwillingness to proactively shake-up his staff. We don't need another 50+ year old assistant to further improve recruiting - hire a great quality young coach, who is a great recruiter!. This can be done, but Boyle refuses to it. I don't get it.

After 21 years as a season ticket holder, it's why I am on the fence about renewing my tickets for next season.

I'm surprised that neither has been hired for a bigger job. I think it has surprised Tad, too. They're good coaches.

I've of a similar opinion, I think staff turnover would be beneficial. I've even said as much in another post.

But the rest of the post is full of ridiculous speculation and outright falsehoods. And the narrative of the "decline of the basketball program" is such a pile of BS, that it's hard to take anything else you say seriously, even if there are kernels of truth.

http://www.buffzone.com/mensbasketb...ful-end-states-multi-year-contract?source=rss
"CU men's basketball leader not expecting changes on staff"

Are you kidding me? Even with the ability to offer long-term contracts to attract better assistants, Boyle still does not plan to make upgrade from Prloleau and/or Rohn! I personally see increasing evidence think that Boyle is simply unwilling to do what it takes to build a great program. It seems like it's easier for he and many CU fans to just blame the AD.

http://www.buffzone.com/mensbasketb...ful-end-states-multi-year-contract?source=rss
"CU men's basketball leader not expecting changes on staff"

Are you kidding me? Even with the ability to offer long-term contracts to attract better assistants, Boyle still does not plan to make upgrade from Prloleau and/or Rohn! I personally see increasing evidence think that Boyle is simply unwilling to do what it takes to build a great program. It seems like it's easier for he and many CU fans to just blame the AD.

@torerobuff already responded to you once with a very respectful post. Above is also a pile of BS. Staff turnover would not necessarily be a bad thing but going after Pri and Rohn is kind of funny

I'm surprised that neither has been hired for a bigger job. I think it has surprised Tad, too. They're good coaches.

In your opinion they are good coaches. In mine, they both are poor recruiters without the charisma to be effective head coaches at the D-1 level. There is a reason, year after year, that no one has hired them as a head coach. I am not willing to blame RG or the AD for Boyle's unwillingness to improve his own program by upgrading at least one assistant.

@torerobuff already responded to you once with a very respectful post. Above is also a pile of BS. Staff turnover would not necessarily be a bad thing but going after Pri and Rohn is kind of funny

Rohn and Prioleau are the lead assistants and have been for years. You made conflicting statements - do you want the staff upgraded or not?

With the football facilities done and that program having what it needs to be successful moving forward.... The hoops programs need a little more love. Seems like some is coming with the new video boards at the KEG.

As far as assistants go, things do seem stale at the moment. It was a disappointing season and with that a lot of finger pointing.

Rohn and Prioleau are the lead assistants and have been for years. You made conflicting statements - do you want the staff upgraded or not?

These guys are not problems. If they get a HC position then good luck to them. If they do not, glad to have them on the staff

MBB has about the 10th best resources for success in the PAC-12 and Tad's got about the 6th best program (at least). The problem is that people expect a top 4 program without any changes other than to coaches that have been outperforming their situation.

This

There are changes I would like to see but I seriously doubt that we could hire a coach who would come close to what Tad has done at CU without some significant commitments financially to the program, and even then I'm not sure we could.

Last edited by a moderator:
MBB has about the 10th best resources for success in the PAC-12 and Tad's got about the 6th best program (at least). The problem is that people expect a top 4 program without any changes other than to coaches that have been outperforming their situation.

So in your view the assistant coaches are just fine. The only changes needed are greater support by Rick George and AD - is that correct?

Funny how when Ricardo Patton was the coach, with a number of teams better than Boyle's teams in 2014-2015 and 2016-2017, there was little concern about improvements needed by the AD. Patton had no practice facility whatsoever, no weight room, no coaches offices, etc. Instead, all the heat came on Patton, who was disrespectfully thrown under the bus by Bohn.

Because he's the boss and not you.

True. But I am the customer by buying season tickets. I would like to know what Boyle himself is planning to do to improve his program. I don't like the trends I see - I have lost a lot of interest and am trying to justify buying season tickets.

In your opinion, if they aren't the problem, what is?

Nik beat me to it. I would also add that the constant comparison to Ricardo Patton is totally ridiculous. Take away his weak OOC schedule and he was a bottom tier coach in the Big 12. Tad and this staff have brought the program a long way from then. Look a the class that the staff is bringing in this year. The coaches are not a problem and in all honesty, even though we all want it to take off to another level, the program is at an all time high. And all of the coaches that 233 is railing against have been part of the reason CU is considered a decent and not a ****ty program any longer.

Nik beat me to it. I would also add that the constant comparison to Ricardo Patton is totally ridiculous. Take away his weak OOC schedule and he was a bottom tier coach in the Big 12. Tad and this staff have brought the program a long way from then. Look a the class that the staff is bringing in this year. The coaches are not a problem and in all honesty, even though we all want it to take off to another level, the program is at an all time high. And all of the coaches that 233 is railing against have been part of the reason CU is considered a decent and not a ****ty program any longer.

Give it a rest. My point is not compare Ricardo Patton to Boyle. Boyle is a much better coach. My point is Patton had virtually NO support from the administration, and the CU fans could have cared less. All they wanted was for Patton to be gone. Now, that Boyle's program has stalled, 100% of the blame is being deflected to the AD and Rick George. Seems very inconsistent to me.

Funny how when Ricardo Patton was the coach, with a number of teams better than Boyle's teams in 2014-2015 and 2016-2017, there was little concern about improvements needed by the AD. Patton had no practice facility whatsoever, no weight room, no coaches offices, etc. Instead, all the heat came on Patton, who was disrespectfully thrown under the bus by Bohn.

Had to look up some things (facts)

Patton Record at CU
1996–97Colorado22–1011–52ndNCAA 2nd Round
1997–98Colorado13–147–9T–7th
1998–99Colorado18–157–9T–7thNIT 2nd Round
1999–00Colorado18–147–97thNIT 1st Round
2000–01Colorado15–155–119th
2001–02Colorado15–145–119th
2002–03Colorado20–129–7 NCAA 1st Round
2003–04Colorado18–1110–64thNIT 1st Round
2004–05Colorado14–164–1211th
2005–06Colorado20–109–75thNIT 1st Round
2006–07Colorado7–203–1312th
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

7 conference records below last years 8 - 10, which did win 19 games.
Not what everyone wanted or envisioned but should not be lumped in with 16 - 18 from a couple years back.
More suggestions on what can be done from all sides (AD, students, coaches, players, community, school)

Give it a rest. My point is not compare Ricardo Patton to Boyle. Boyle is a much better coach. My point is Patton had virtually NO support from the administration, and the CU fans could have cared less. All they wanted was for Patton to be gone. Now, that Boyle's program has stalled, 100% of the blame is being deflected to the AD and Rick George. Seems very inconsistent to me.
You seem to think the program has hit its ceiling with the "stalled" comment.

That, if true, could be due to a Boyle ceiling, a program ceiling, or a combination of the two.

I'm not even ready to say we're at a ceiling. We saw the ceiling with the 2012 class without J40 (2 of last 3 years). Now we'll see where we can go with the 2017 class.

If in your 21 years as a season ticket holder THIS is what has you on the edge, you're acting like a spoiled *****.

Just saying.
Make sure you add a personal attack - it makes my point very elegantly that Boyle is not to be questioned by CU fans. He is as good as it will ever get. Apparently, he is above reproach, and when his program underachieves (this year) or struggles (2014-2015), the focus needs to be on the AD and Rick George. Got it - I will mention the next time I see RG.

Make sure you add a personal attack - it makes my point very elegantly that Boyle is not to be questioned by CU fans. He is as good as it will ever get. Apparently, he is above reproach, and when his program underachieves (this year) or struggles (2014-2015), the focus needs to be on the AD and Rick George. Got it - I will mention the next time I see RG.

I think people are saying Tad has exceeded expectations in relation to the level of administrative support. Instead of dumping him, let's increase the support for the program and see if it elevates the results. It is way easier and cheaper to increase funding for basketball compared to finding a coach who outperforms expectations even more.

To summarize: Tad gets bottom 4 support in conference, delivers tip 6 finishes. Let's give him top 6 support and see if his finishes improve.

I think people are saying Tad has exceeded expectations in relation to the level of administrative support. Instead of dumping him, let's increase the support for the program and see if it elevates the results. It is way easier and cheaper to increase funding for basketball compared to finding a coach who outperforms expectations even more.

To summarize: Tad gets bottom 4 support in conference, delivers tip 6 finishes. Let's give him top 6 support and see if his finishes improve.

All correct.

I also wonder, who are those high power recruiting assistants lining up for a spot on a staff at a school that is near the bottom of its conference in terms of administrative support and has a history like CU does.

I'd like to see better assistants but it's a big stretch to assume that we could hire guys as good much less better.

Saying that this program is at an all-time high is just as annoying as saying it's in decline.

Keep taking that extremist stance. It really works. Never heard of it being a waste of energy before.

I'd say this is about right.

10th/12 in AD support
6th/12 in performance of coaching staff

Program has lost momentum, of which I'd attribute 20% to a stale coaching staff/scheme, 30% to recruiting misses, 50% to the AD institutional neglect.

Saying that this program is at an all-time high is just as annoying as saying it's in decline.

Keep taking that extremist stance. It really works. Never heard of it being a waste of energy before.

BuffG, I think people are anticipating losing seasons the next 2 years. Unless we get very lucky with recruits panning out, the chickens may come home to roost.

Edit: but you are right, the answer is somewhere in the middle. Next year may be a Tad low point. The high point was the day before Dinwiddie's exploded acl. In retrospect, so frustrating. If dinwiddie doesn't go down, we make a sweet 16/elite 8 run.

Last edited:
When were talking about "AD support" are we talking about money for recruiting? Something else monetary? A relatively new practice facility is a start, but not enough, so what's missing? Regardless, the foundation of the program, recruiting, hasn't been consistently good good enough in recent seasons.

Bzdelik found Higgins, Burkes and Roberson, although Roberson signed under Tad during the transition.

Tad benefitted by having the state produce 2 of the most gifted big men in many years, at the same time! He landed them, but it helped they were in state. That was a rare alignment of stars.

Big falloff since.. Perhaps Tom A? Perhaps other issues? Disappointed there are no changes to staff.

Back