What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Will OL be better in 2014?

Losing Bahk. really ended up hurting us this year. Having Harris at RT and Nembot at RG or LG could have been a much better run blocking and pass blocking OL. Him leaving to be a 4th RD draft pick really hurt.

Sure seamed like Az State knew exactly when we were going to snap the ball. The Defensive end jumped 2 different bubble screens. Not sure if its the center, QB or coaching but we really need to change up the snap timing every now and then.

What is the odds of getting a transfer or a Juco for next year? 1 -100? We could really use some to jump start this rebuilding process.

2nd year in the system should help.

Development of Sefo and Adkins should help since good players at QB and RB can help cover OL mistakes.

Got to think Slavin and Irwin will improve the TE position. Better TE play helps out an OL.

Getting Irwin back on the OL is a big deal. Other underclassmen should be bigger, stronger and more comfortable with their assignments.

I'll say that the OL will be better. All I'm wanting is an average unit that can compete. I think we're at least 2 years, maybe 3, away from having a good OL.

Losing Bahktiari hurt and Lewis too really hurt. If we had either one this year we would be 2 and 3. Of course, we would be much more competitive in those loses. Having a solid LT and moving Harris to the interior or RT where he could make more of difference in the run game would have been huge. But if frogs had wings....
Next year we should be better; but maybe just marginally. If one or two of the RS Freshman step ups we could be much improved. I am hopeful that Kronshage and Sutton can overtake some of the upper classmen.
For the future we need to start keeping our in-state OL in-state. Would be nice if we could flip Risner and land Holland and Jones this class.

According to HCMM, Jeromy Irwin has gained 20 lbs this season. That would mean he's 6'5'' 310. That's a nice size for pretty much any tackle or guard. Personally I'd like to see Mustoe stick at LT and move Irwin to the inside... The line could be:

LT Mustoe
LG Irwin
C Munyer
RG Kelley
RT Nembot

That's a lot of athleticism... but we could just as easily see Irwin starting at LT and a few RS FR fighting for guard spots. Either way, I think we'll be better on offensive line in 2014, Handler didn't really live up to his billing and Harris was just better than average (though his size might get him an invite to an NFL camp.)

According to HCMM, Jeromy Irwin has gained 20 lbs this season. That would mean he's 6'5'' 310. That's a nice size for pretty much any tackle or guard. Personally I'd like to see Mustoe stick at LT and move Irwin to the inside... The line could be:

LT Mustoe
LG Irwin
C Munyer
RG Kelley
RT Nembot

That's a lot of athleticism... but we could just as easily see Irwin starting at LT and a few RS FR fighting for guard spots. Either way, I think we'll be better on offensive line in 2014, Handler didn't really live up to his billing and Harris was just better than average (though his size might get him an invite to an NFL camp.)

Handler had no "billing" to live up to. Mustoe is not an upgrade over Harris by a long shot. I wouldn't count out Crabb as a starter next year, assuming his back holds up. The line could be better, but it also could be worse. On the positive side, CU will have enough bodies to have a real competition in that position group.

LT Mustoe
LG Irwin
C Munyer
RG Kelley
RT Nembot

That would be a pretty good OL

We can all agree that OL play was an issue this season. I wonder how it will improve. I think it's a pretty sure bet that Nembot keeps the RT spot. He's huge and athletic but still doesn't have football instincts. That's the problem with guys who didn't play football until adolescence. Personally I think he'll improve.

Additionally, I think it's a pretty sure bet that Munyer moves to the center spot. He's not a really big guy and he's got experience there. He might fight Crabb for spot at center or maybe Crabb holds onto the LG spot. Still, if we predict Nembot improves and Munyer plays better than Handler then we've already upgraded two of the five spots along the line:

LT:
LG:
C: +
RG:
RT: +

We also imagine that Irwin, Mustoe and RS Freshmen will fight over the LT spot. It's arguable we could improve there as well. LG could fall to Irwin (if Mustoe impresses at LT) or RS-Freshman could fight over the guard spots. Honestly, it's not inconceivable that the Buffaloes will improve at all 5 offensive line positions. Even if that prediction seems needlessly optimistic, a more grounded prediction might be that the line as a unit will be improved from 2014.

LT-Irwin
LG-Crabb
C-Munyer
RG-Kelley?
RT-Nembot

That's still a bottom Pac-12 OL. I'm not convinced Nembot will take that next step anymore. He has 19 starts at RT under his belt and in the 19th game he couldn't pass protect for more than a second

I like Nembot a lot. Kid is a big, powerful athlete and a great story. That said he has advanced a lot but has also shown that his footwork is a liability against quicker defenders.

His name as a starter might be better written in pencil instead of ink. If they can find a more consistent option he may end up moving to a back-up position or even back to the D-line.

Nembot will make a big jump this year.

We're talking about a guy who had barely played high school football, spent his freshman year redshirting at DE, then started really learning how to be an OL in the spring of 2012. How he ended up starting the last half of 2012 is the real question. Then we switched coaches and systems on him.

He's smart. He works hard. He responds to coaching. He's got all the physical tools. I truly believe that he'll hit stride this spring and by fall camp will be ready to break out.

I think (ideally) they'd like to find a center who has 2-3 years of eligibility left. If they could find a young guy to take over that position and leave Munyer at guard, that provides more stability for the future, than slotting Munyer at center for one year, and having a young guy fill the guard position and then having to find another center the next year. Not sure who that center would be as I haven't heard much about who's been working there (Kelley, Huckins?)

Nothing would improve our line more than having a LT magically appear, and allow Irwin to play inside. Oh yeah, one more **** You to the Nub-sucker who left us high and dry at Left Tackle.

Yeah, it sure would be nice to see Prince Stephane knocking Pac12 defenders on their asses while Mutumboing them.

I like your optimism, and that makes sense. Nembot has not had much of a chance to learn the position, but he's huge, strong and a hard worker. He was even given the Iron Buffalo award for his dedication in the weight room. HCMM is working damn hard to get these young Buffs to buy into the program and if Nembot keeps working hard and learning the position he's going to have a chance to at least make an NFL training camp someday. Keep in mind, he's got two more seasons of eligibility. I hope he can put that time to good use.

Nembot will make a big jump this year.

We're talking about a guy who had barely played high school football, spent his freshman year redshirting at DE, then started really learning how to be an OL in the spring of 2012. How he ended up starting the last half of 2012 is the real question. Then we switched coaches and systems on him.

He's smart. He works hard. He responds to coaching. He's got all the physical tools. I truly believe that he'll hit stride this spring and by fall camp will be ready to break out.

While that wouldn't surprise me as he is definitely smart and athletic, the lack of improvement in year 2 is more than a little concerning to me. He continues to default to poor habits and get beat, when the pressure is on. Let's say I'm cautiously optimistic.

While that wouldn't surprise me as he is definitely smart and athletic, the lack of improvement in year 2 is more than a little concerning to me. He continues to default to poor habits and get beat, when the pressure is on. Let's say I'm cautiously optimistic.

I'd love to see him take that jump both for the team and for him personally.

I wonder though if it is something that can fixed. He is big enough and strong enough plus some. Does he have the feet to play tackle at this level? Can he move his feet fast enough and keep himself in position to be effective in pass blocking?

It might be something he can develop but I saw enough last year to bring this into question.

Nik mentioned a while back that Munyer's athleticism in his lateral movement may be a case for him staying at RG. He may also be our best center. If Munyer stays at RG, Crabb would be the likely center and LG would be filled in by either Irwin or Kelley. If Irwin is the clear best option at LT over Mustoe then it probably looks like Irwin-Crabb-Munyer or Irwin-Kelley-Crabb on the left side. Plenty of options for shuffling names across the line but all of them concern me until I see a season where the OL is viewed as a strength of the team and that's been 2002 since I saw that anywhere not on paper. The interior 3 of Kelley-Crabb-Munyer may be the best we've had there in a while, certainly the best athleticism. Irwin and Nembot have upside but we haven't seen it from either yet. At least their coach seems like a hardass. Hopefully they respond well to it.

Nobody's questioning Nembot's work ethic or GPA, just watching him whiff both in pass and run blocking was painful this season.

Back