What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Wilner: DTV deal likely before football season barring last minute snags

The lack of streaming within the Pac-12 network itself (i.e. the requirement that your cable company broadcast the Pac-12 network in order to access streaming content) is a major fail for this network.

I am a U-Verse subscriber. It is very doubtful that the Pac-12 network will be picked up in my particular residency area anytime soon. Perhaps the Pac-12 network itself will eventually be picked up, but I doubt all of the regional networks which would carry the content I want to see (i.e. the Colorado region) will be picked up anytime soon.

I would be more than happy to pay the Pac-12 network $19.99 a month (or more) to have access to all their streaming content.

+1

If I could watch Pac-12 Network streaming online, I would seriously consider paying up to $19.99 per month.

But my fear is that the Pac-12 couldn't pass up a sweet deal from the cable companies and had this requirement. Sure it's an extra $10 per month on my Comcast bill but I still hate that deal.

I almost swithed to dtv last week from dish but decided to sit tight for a bit.
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/colleg...o-deal-this-week-with-directv-and-other-news/

"There will be no carriage deal this week between the Pac-12 and DirecTV.
The same goes for Charter and Verizon — no deals this week — but there’s still a chance that Dish Network and AT&T will jump on board before kickoff Thursday.
What happened with the Pac-12 and DirecTV?
According to an industry source, talks were progressing until this week, when DTV apparently decided that there wasn’t enough interest in the Pac-12 games currently scheduled for the national and regional networks. (Telling comment here from a DTV spokesman.)
One source used the word “impasse” when asked about the state of the negotiations.
So if you have DirecTV, Charter or Verizon and want to watch the Pac-12 Networks, then you should seriously consider switching providers."

Called DTV this afternoon. I had to spend over 5 minutes explaining to the guy that no, they did not carry the PAC 12 network, and that their regional sports packages don't carry the PAC 12 network. He kept trying to sell me a subscription to one of those. Finally, he gave up and "believed" me. This is scary, that even with I'm sure thousands of calls, that there are some cancelation department reps who don't know that DTV doesn't carry the PAC 12 network, and that they haven't had to handle any questions about it.

Finally, I was able to get his attention, and ended up with $20 off a month plus the NFL Ticket/Red Zone. I'm happy with those things, but that still doesn't fix the problem of DTV not yet carrying the PAC 12 network.

This would be nice news.

+1 for Dish

Maybe I should call and threaten to leave. I seriously doubt I will leave. I like Sirius radio and is on Dish and not Direct. Because I live in Iowa, Mediacom won't pick up the Pac 12 Network. This is Big 10/Big 12 Country, not Pac 12 country. And I'd lose my Sirius if I did that.

I did a free HD for life and had to commit to Dish. That was less than 2 years ago, so I'd have to pay to leave Dish.

If DirecTV holds out all the way till the USC / Cal, it would really, really help if USC doesn't screw up and lose that #1 ranking. Then the league could run a blitz of ads asking why doesn't DirecTV want to let you watch the #1 CFB team in the country.

Damn I was finally scheduled to join the 21st century with HD upgrades and a new 2 yr commitment starting next Friday. Looks like I better keep rescheduling install dates if they can't get it together.

"These fans can switch their television service to one of the more than 30 distributors that offer Pac-12 Networks, including Comcast, Time Warner Cable and Cox. These providers offer Pac-12 Networks' full season lineup"

That's horse ****. Cox in SD is only offering the LA regional.

Unfortunately there are some reports that this beIN channel is actually set up to lose money at the start and is paying DirectTV x amount per subscriber in order to avoid a carriage fight during their start-up period so they essentially jumped the line.

beIN is funded by Al Jazeera. They have deep pockets. They are the ones funding PSG's shopping spree also.

What is live streaming?

Images and sounds of Boulder creek on my television? Sounds cathartic.

And I still don't understand why I dont get the PAC-12 network on HD

This is horse ****, I hope DTV and all the other providers tell the Pac12 network to go kick rocks. This whole thing is a failure for CU fans. If the PAC12 network really wanted to get more exposure for these teams they would put this stuff on the internet for all to see and then put ads and commercials on it like regular broadcast television does. This thing is nothing more than a money grab at this point and most fans are getting left out in the cold. I really feel sorry for the kids from families that don't have a pot to piss in. How many of those kids can afford fancy cable/satellite subscriptions and then talk mommy and daddy into paying an extra $15 a month so they can see this one channel? These are the type of people that we need to make sure can watch their teams. In theory this network thing sounded great but in reality it has yet to arrive.

Anyway, this thing pisses me off. I'll go to the home games like usual, and as far as I am concerned if the road game isn't on basic cable then it never happened.

I would love to see the PAC 12 network allow streaming if your affiliate (ie DirecTV) does not carry the channel. It will not happen yet - they are hoping enough people switch to put pressure on DirecTV. I just do not think there are enough rabid Pac12 fans that it will be enough cancels to truly make a difference.

:lol: at these premature freakouts

I don't see how you can call these freakouts premature. The season starts today and it looks like in large portions of the country, some of which are our traditional recruiting grounds, pac 12 games will be completely unavailable.

I don't see how you can call these freakouts premature. The season starts today and it looks like in large portions of the country, some of which are our traditional recruiting grounds, pac 12 games will be completely unavailable.
which was to be expected and still puts the P12N far ahead of where the big10 (and all other sports networks, iirc) were at this time in their launch. **** happens, and we are still not missing any CU football or big time P12 football... yet.

which was to be expected and still puts the P12N far ahead of where the big10 (and all other sports networks, iirc) were at this time in their launch. **** happens, and we are still not missing any CU football or big time P12 football... yet.

So can I freak out on Saturday when I can DVR the game?

:lol: at these premature freakouts

It's not premature when you have directv with NFL Sunday ticket. Once NFL starts you can't cancel without penalty. That is why some of us are negotiating with them now to give us options.

It's not premature when you have directv with NFL Sunday ticket. Once NFL starts you can't cancel without penalty. That is why some of us are negotiating with them now to give us options.

I'm more shocked that everyone thought there would be no hiccups in the launch. **** happens

Ive called but screw that. Every time I do, I get a middle eastern dude and cant understand a ****ing word he says.

This is horse ****, I hope DTV and all the other providers tell the Pac12 network to go kick rocks. This whole thing is a failure for CU fans. If the PAC12 network really wanted to get more exposure for these teams they would put this stuff on the internet for all to see and then put ads and commercials on it like regular broadcast television does. This thing is nothing more than a money grab at this point and most fans are getting left out in the cold. I really feel sorry for the kids from families that don't have a pot to piss in. How many of those kids can afford fancy cable/satellite subscriptions and then talk mommy and daddy into paying an extra $15 a month so they can see this one channel? These are the type of people that we need to make sure can watch their teams. In theory this network thing sounded great but in reality it has yet to arrive.

Anyway, this thing pisses me off. I'll go to the home games like usual, and as far as I am concerned if the road game isn't on basic cable then it never happened.

Rep sent. The Pac-12 Network is a major FAIL when it comes to exposure so far.

The network was announced more than a year ago. I am shocked at how little they've done to get the games on TV since that time.
That's an interesting post. I'm not defending the P12N here, but you know absolutely nothing about what they have or have not done to get the P12N on the air, except for the deals they have made. This is a long game. It is more important that the P12N get the right deal so the right thing happens a year (or 10 years) from now instead of scrapping the business model for a few extra weeks of coverage.

The really troubling thing is the decision by the cable providers to not show content they are paying for. WTF?

Everyone here is a customer and has every right to bitch.

But I also think people need to keep in mind that what the Pac-12 has accomplished in such a short time is unprecedented.

I further wanted to point out that everyone should consider the good of the program and how important it is to our long-term financial health for the Pac-12 to negotiate hard and get the best possible deals for the conference. 2012 tv coverage will likely be much less than satisfying, but it will be worth it.

Back