What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Wilner places Colorado among bottom 4 Pac-12 jobs in MBB

I doubt CU will ever be a basketball school. That doesn't mean they can't be solid every year.

Now I'm curious about what Bill Walton has to say. That guy loves coming to CU Boulder for hoops.

He's not wrong.

No local recruiting base. No tradition. No local recruiting base. No stable fan support. No local recruiting base. Always going to be second fiddle on a campus where sports is a low priority. No local recruiting base. Casual support from the AD's office. And possibly most importantly, no local recruiting base.

Gotta win some games in March to be relevant.

Recent success was specifically not a factor in the evaluation because that is tied to a a particular coach or recruiting fortune. More like, "if you put an average coach in each of these jobs, where would he be more likely to have success".

Long-term, I agree this can change with continued success at CU (and further facilities enhancements). As an extreme example, we can look at what Lute did in Tucson. Not like there's anything organic to UA and Tucson that positions them to be an elite program, so what they are is 100% a by-product of what Lute built.

This probably helps the admin/fans justify why we need to hang on the Boyle regardless of whether his program trending down, poor recruiting, non-stop defections, declining attendance, and most importantly an absolute unwillingness to make changes in minions on his staff. As long as the program stays out-of-trouble, I guess going +/- 0.500 in conference and never being a player in the NCAA Tourney is all we can ever hope for. If that's case, why buy season tickets????

Now I'm curious about what Bill Walton has to say. That guy loves coming to CU Boulder for hoops.

Love Bill. He doesn't love Boulder for the hoops (Mr. Clean you aren't saying he does -- just loves to come to Boulder, e.g., Dead concerts at Folsom). And I don't think elite, high school basketball players would love or come to Boulder for the same reasons Bill and I do.

Seattle recruiting. Good fan support. Hoops is loved up there. Seattle.
Exactly. Seattle metro has to be the most underrated basketball recruiting hotbed in the country. In the past 20 years, here are some names from metro Seattle high school basketball...
Jason Terry
Jamal Crawford
Aaron Brooks
Marvin Williams
Rodney Stuckey
Spencer Hawes
Brandon Roy
Tony Wroten
Michael Porter Jr.
Luke Ridnour

So here is some interesting data from usa today: http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/11/ncaa-basketbal-recruiting-heat-map-2016

it tells you where the PAC:12 is recruiting from;

Pac-12-Heat-Map.jpg

and this is kinda interesting as it goes against what Goose says about local recruiting. basically how far from your school, your roster is built from.
to save everyone trouble of squinting at the image below. I think if I was Tad, I would find 2 good recruiters and focus one person on Cal and the other on Texas and if I had to get a third, it would probably be around chicago.

Arizona: 2254 miles
Washington: 2168 miles
Oregon: 1917 miles
Cal: 1743 miles
Arizona State: 1723
Stanford: 1703
Oregeon State: 1601
UCLA: 1397 miles
CU: 1159 miles
Utah: 923 miles
USC: 689 miles

washington State:I couldn't find them

CBB-Rosters.jpg

So here is some interesting data from usa today: http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/11/ncaa-basketbal-recruiting-heat-map-2016

Pac-12-Heat-Map.jpg

and this is kinda interesting as it goes against what Goose says about local recruiting. basically how far from your school, your roster is built from.
to save everyone trouble of squinting at the image below. I think if I was Tad, I would find 2 good recruiters and focus one person on Cal and the other on Texas and if I had to get a third, it would probably be around chicago.

CBB-Rosters.jpg

Great info! I agree with putting some focus on the St. Louis-Chicago-Indianapolis-Cincinnati-Louisville region. So much quality basketball played in the prep ranks there.

Pac-12-Heat-Map.jpg

CBB-Rosters.jpg

Wazzu 766. Middle right of the graphic. Really interesting. Kind of amazing how Wazzu is the most isolated from "civilization" of any school in the conference and is that low in overall pac 12 "rankings".

Pac-12-Heat-Map.jpg

CBB-Rosters.jpg

That's interesting. That said, I do think some of those numbers are skewed a bit. How much of Arizona's long distance recruiting is because they're in on 5* badasses and how much is because they don't have local talent? Also, one sneaky thing about having a local recruiting hotbed - it usually means you're in a basketball crazy area. Therefore you have more support built in, more of a fanbase, more demands on the AD to have a successful program, etc.. Also, this is "current D1 players" for the 2016 season, so I feel like it's slightly skewed away from the hot spots (i.e., "one and done"'s are a smaller percentage). Don't get me wrong, these numbers are making me reconsider things, but I still feel having a strong recruiting hotbed helps.

Also, CU would do horrible in Chicago. We're not willing to get dirty enough to compete there. We've had some success in Michigan, so maybe that instead while just dipping our toes into the Chicago area?

That's interesting. That said, I do think some of those numbers are skewed a bit. How much of Arizona's long distance recruiting is because they're in on 5* badasses and how much is because they don't have local talent? Also, one sneaky thing about having a local recruiting hotbed - it usually means you're in a basketball crazy area. Therefore you have more support built in, more of a fanbase, more demands on the AD to have a successful program, etc.. Also, this is "current D1 players" for the 2016 season, so I feel like it's slightly skewed away from the hot spots (i.e., "one and done"'s are a smaller percentage). Don't get me wrong, these numbers are making me reconsider things, but I still feel having a strong recruiting hotbed helps.

Colorado is weird. When I graduated high school basketball was pretty big, so I'm not sure if it's us not being a state that likes to play basketball, but more so too many distractions for fans? My guess is as the metro area continues to grow, the number of talented kids will increase where we see record numbers of D1 schollys and more attention from out of state schools.

Unfortunately making the trek up to Boulder for a bball game may never have the allure it needs. I went to UofA ad going to McKale on a Thursday or Saturday for a game was a no-brainer when there's not a ton else to do in town – even when the team had dipped post-Lute.

The bigger issue here is the program mentality. We need to have the mindset of Xavier, Butler, George Mason, or Wichita State, with the resources of a mid-tier P5 bball school.

I also am not seeing the huge importance of local recruiting base. Oregon for example has one player on their team from Oregon.

With a 15 player scholarship roster limit, generally you are only signing 3 or 4 players a year. When you look at top rosters they are getting players from everywhere, and players from overseas.

What type of job was UCONN 30 years ago? This isn't football where prestige factors into who plays for the title. After the blue bloods, it's about the quality of the coach not the job.

I think our expectations for hoops are low. I don't see how we can expect better perception, when we are content with average performance.

Tad has had a ton of success at CU when compared to previous coaches. But that's also one reason we are perceived poorly. Neither the previous coaches nor Tad have set the bar very high. This is a serious question, and I don't know the answer: When is it okay for us to expect more from basketball?

I think our expectations for hoops are low. I don't see how we can expect better perception, when we are content with average performance.

Tad has had a ton of success at CU when compared to previous coaches. But that's also one reason we are perceived poorly. Neither the previous coaches nor Tad have set the bar very high. This is a serious question, and I don't know the answer: When is it okay for us to expect more from basketball?

I like the consistency with hoops. I want to see a run, though, while this freshman class is at CU. I'll start losing patience if we don't see the 2nd weekend of the Dance some time in the next 4 years.

Back