What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Woelk: Next coach doesn't have to be from family

The idea that we need to hire someone from the CU family is not only over-rated, but more importantly it limits us in getting the best possible coach for CU. EB and Embree are getting too much play as the next potential coach and they're only getting consideration because they both went to CU.

I want the best coach for CU, for wherever. However, I think the best coach is Miles or Mac; someone who can get it done and has coached here before. They know the climate and love the area and school. Whoever else considers this job needs to know what they have to deal with with the administration. If the administration supported sports more wholeheartedly, then the CU ties would be much less important. We will see who we get. Should know in three or four weeks is my guess. I know what Bohn is saying, but does he really want to wait until after the MNC to get a crack at interviewing the top OC and DC candidates? Maybe he does. He might be willing to sacrifice one recruting class to get the right person in January. The right person woiuld still draw an immediate class that would be better than we have seen in years. What do you think Miles could put together in four or five weeks? Probably still a great class-- especially if he comes off a MNC Champoinship.

The idea that we need to hire someone from the CU family is not only over-rated, but more importantly it limits us in getting the best possible coach for CU. EB and Embree are getting too much play as the next potential coach and they're only getting consideration because they both went to CU.

I don't think EB and Embree is getting whole munch of play as the HC; more as HCIW while they learn under Mac. Which is what Mac seems to want too. He is not looking to be here for 15 years or anything, he just wants to bring CU back to being a football power and groom someone to continue that without him in 3-5 years. I would not be comfortable with EB or Embree as the HC. But would like for Mac and either one of those guys to come here-- both if Mac can convince them. One would be OC and Assistant HC, and the other would be an offensive coach, maybe special teams (Embree I think has done that) and Asisstant OC. Then when Mac goes, one moves to HC and the other is full time OC. Would not be a bad deal for either one of them.

As we all know, the one major knock against either EB or Embree is their lack of coordinator experience. It would be the least risky and probably the best thing long term for their carreer to come in as an O/C under Mac. They come in help rebuild a program, now they have the coordinator job on the resume and in 3-5 yrs if they want the HC job here then they are likely the number 1 candidate, then they can either take the job here or go someplace else for more money. Hopefully they see that.

I don't think EB and Embree is getting whole munch of play as the HC; more as HCIW while they learn under Mac. Which is what Mac seems to want too. He is not looking to be here for 15 years or anything, he just wants to bring CU back to being a football power and groom someone to continue that without him in 3-5 years. I would not be comfortable with EB or Embree as the HC. But would like for Mac and either one of those guys to come here-- both if Mac can convince them. One would be OC and Assistant HC, and the other would be an offensive coach, maybe special teams (Embree I think has done that) and Asisstant OC. Then when Mac goes, one moves to HC and the other is full time OC. Would not be a bad deal for either one of them.

Maybe not Embree but EB is doing very well in the poll from another thread, as well as from some of the media. Bring in EB as OC but don't make him HCIW, just see how it plays out, and if he ends up proving himself in that position and ends up being the next coach, then great. I just think it's too premature to designate EB or anyone as HCIW when the hire is made here in a few weeks.

Back