What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Women's Basketball Practice Tips Off

Goose

Hoops Moderator
Club Member
Junta Member
I missed this article, but the women's basketball team started practice on Monday. Some good quotes in there on how the team is shaping up.

We're so much further ahead right now, especially defensively," said the second-year head coach, whose main tasks last season were raising the squad's level of intensity and instilling a gritty man-to-man style on defense.

Lappe and her assistant coaches have been hard at work this offseason securing a 2012 recruiting class that is rated 20th in the nation by Hoopgurlz.com thanks to commitments from a pair of top-100 players. Lauren Huggins of Heritage High School and Tucson, Ariz., product Jamee Swan are the top-rated prospects in their respective states according to the recruiting website.
But before that group gets to Boulder it could be that someone in the current freshman class ends up filling a good chunk of Spears' scoring void.

Guard Lexy Kresl led the state of Arizona in scoring the past two seasons, while two-time Oregon Gatorade Player of the Year Jen Reese scored 25 points per game as a senior from the power forward position.

Malcolm-Peck described the team's approach on offense this season as "keep moving and get the best shot possible instead of look for Spears."

"Spears brought so much to the team," Malcolm-Peck said. "I think this year we have a really balanced approach to it. I think we can definitely get four players in double figures every day."

BTW, there's been a lot of talk about Reese & Arielle Roberson, but it sounds like Lexy Kresl is one hell of a player too. She was the ESPN RISE player of the week once last season and they had a nice write-up on her.

West: Lexi Kresl
(Shadow Mountain, Phoenix, Ariz.)

One of the top scorers in Arizona continues to see her average rise after a pair of 30-plus point performances last week. With the Matadors opening the week against Independence (Glendale, Ariz.), the junior guard scored more than double the opposition with 36 points in a 60-14 victory while narrowly missing a quadruple double. In the lopsided win, she also had nine rebounds, nine steals, and nine assists. Kresl didn't quite outscore Moon Valley (Phoenix, Ariz.) in the next game, but she came close as she scored 31 points in a 53-35 victory. On the year, she has scored at least 30 points in a game nine times and her scoring average now stands at 29 points per game.

Found this from an article eearlier this year. Sounds like Lexi wasn't content with her prodigious scoring. She knew CU was looking for her to be a scorer and she planned to work on that more before she got here this summer.

TRIFECTABASKETBALL:" What are your goals for the spring and summer to prepare yourself for a successful college career?"

LK: "This spring and summer I plan to work harder than I ever have before. I know that is the biggest mistake many make after signing to a program, they think they already have it made. I want to be conditioned, both physically and mentally, before going to Colorado and I plan to work on scoring in multiple ways, more effectively, as my main job will be just that. I want to prepare myself so that when I arrive no one questions if I should be there, and I don't want to be surprised by the workload or effort I will have to endure."

Found this from an article eearlier this year. Sounds like Lexi wasn't content with her prodigious scoring. She knew CU was looking for her to be a scorer and she planned to work on that more before she got here this summer.

TRIFECTABASKETBALL:" What are your goals for the spring and summer to prepare yourself for a successful college career?"

LK: "This spring and summer I plan to work harder than I ever have before. I know that is the biggest mistake many make after signing to a program, they think they already have it made. I want to be conditioned, both physically and mentally, before going to Colorado and I plan to work on scoring in multiple ways, more effectively, as my main job will be just that. I want to prepare myself so that when I arrive no one questions if I should be there, and I don't want to be surprised by the workload or effort I will have to endure."

this is the mindset that all athletes at the college level should have. CU could use a lot more of this.

Wow, Lexi hasn't played a second yet in a CU uniform and she is already one of my favorite Buffs! Great attitude!!!

I like the scrimmage idea. At least gets everyone out playing against someone besides their teammates. New defensive arrangements, etc.

Back