What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Women's soccer: CU Buffs' Danny Sanchez: CSU Rams adding team good for sport

cmgoods

Olympic Sports Mod
Club Member
Women's soccer: CU Buffs' Danny Sanchez: CSU Rams adding team good for sport

Rams to begin play next fall
By Brian Howell Buffzone.com

Posted: 01/31/2013 06:36:32 PM MST

Although Danny Sanchez has coached for Colorado State's two biggest rivals -- Colorado and Wyoming -- he has yet to experience a rivalry with the Rams up close.

That figures to change in the near future. Last week, CSU announced that it will add women's soccer as an intercollegiate sport, beginning this fall. Sanchez, who recently completed his first season as CU's head soccer coach, was thrilled to hear the news.

"I'm just excited for the big picture of college soccer," he said. "It's good for the growth of women's soccer, especially in Colorado.

"It's turning Colorado into more of a soccer hotbed. It adds to that portfolio of what Colorado soccer, from youth all the way through Division I (college), has to offer."

Until now, CSU was the only one of the 16 schools in Colorado at the Division I, Division II or Division III level that did not sponsor a women's soccer program. The Rams were also the only schools in the Mountain West Conference without a soccer team.

CSU will join CU, Air Force, Colorado College, Denver and Northern Colorado as Division I programs in the state.

"For down the road, it's good to have another Division I program in the area," Sanchez said.

CU is sure to get some competition for in-state recruits from the Rams, but Sanchez said that's a positive for area players. He also added that the Buffs are quite used to recruiting competition.

"There's plenty of competition with everyone we have to compete with in the Pac-12," he said. "(Adding CSU) is good for the game, it's good for the state of Colorado and definitely for our area, it's good to have as many quality programs around as we can.

"I'm sure Colorado State will build a solid program there."

As for the Buffs and Rams building a rivalry on the soccer field, Sanchez said he figures that will happen naturally over time.

"I'm sure that rivalry will take shape as their program develops," he said.

Notable
Sanchez has been busy recruiting for the Buffs. "It's non-stop," he said. "Mostly (class of 2015 players), but we still have some 2014s to sort out. If there's a super star 2013 out there, we'll still take them." ... The current Buffs have been engaged in offseason workouts, Sanchez said.

Follow Brian on Twitter: @BrianHowell33.

Back