What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Women's tennis: CU Buffs' Janssens optimistic ahead of Pac-12 Championships

cmgoods

Olympic Sports Mod
Club Member
Women's tennis: CU Buffs' Janssens optimistic ahead of Pac-12 Championships

Buffs making strides in second year in conference
By Brian Howell Buffzone.com
Posted: 04/24/2013 06:10:01 PM MDT
Updated: 04/24/2013 09:36:46 PM MDT

Winde Janssens takes a little more confidence into the Pac-12 women's tennis championships than she did a year ago.

"I think I know more how it feels now and I know the environment a little better and what's going on," said Janssens, a junior at Colorado. "It's really going to help me this year and I hope I know how to handle the situation better."

On Thursday, the Buffs open the Pac-12 Championships in Ojai, Calif., just outside of Los Angeles.

After a brutal inaugural run through the Pac-12 gauntlet last year, the Buffs got through it this spring with a lot fewer bumps and bruises. That contributes to Janssens feeling better going into the tournament.

"I'm really exited," said Janssens, one of CU's top singles players. "I think the first year (in 2012) was different because we played against all these good, new people and we didn't know how to approach it. This year, we all went out, we played well and we all had the mind that we had a chance to win. I think that helped a lot to actually win some games."

The Pac-12 might be the most difficult conference in the country. Southern Cal (No. 5 in the latest ITA rankings), California (No. 7), UCLA (No. 8) and Stanford (No. 12) are all among the nation's elite teams. Five other Pac-12 teams are ranked among the ITA's top 75.

This year, however, saw CU made a significant leap forward in its competitiveness. The Buffs went 0-10 in the Pac-12 last year (Oregon State is the lone school that does not field a team) and lost those matches by a combined score of 64-6. Seven times they were swept 7-0.

This spring, the Buffs went 2-8, losing by a combined score of 51-19. They knocked off Arizona and Oregon along the way, while playing competitive matches against ASU, Washington and Utah.

"Every practice I feel like we get a lot better," said freshman Dhany Quevedo, who will play in the singles field this week. "We really try, we really wanted to win a lot more matches. By results, I know we had a better season, so I definitely think we have gotten better as a team."

Janssens agrees, adding that this year was a big one for the development of the program.

"We got a lot closer," she said. "We had some 4-3 tough losses. Hopefully next year we're going to turn them around and win 4-3. We also had two big Pac-12 wins, and that was an awesome feeling. Hopefully next year we'll have some more of those."

Individually, Janssens is eager to get to the Pac-12 Championships because of the improvement she has made.

"My strokes were, last year, good, and I think I gained a little bit more power (this year)," she said. "Mentally especially, I can see the play a little bit more. When someone plays, I know better what to do and I think that's helped me."

A year ago, the Buffs were shut out in the first round of the Pac-12 Tournament, including Janssens, who lost a 6-4, 6-2 match.

"I hope to win at least my first match," said Janssens, who is 16-15 this year. "Last year I lost, but played pretty well. I hope this year to do a little better and win my first match and we'll see from there."

As a freshman, Quevedo isn't sure what to expect from the competition, but hopes to make it a good experience.

"I expect to give everything that I have left," said Quevedo, who is 10-13 this year. "It's the last couple of matches and I really want to go out there and give it my all and see how it goes."

Notable
Along with Janssens and Quevedo, sophomore Julyette Steur (16-14) will play singles this week. Steur and senior Erin Sanders will team up in doubles play. ... Overall, CU went 7-14 this season.

from: http://www.brushnewstribune.com/ci_23100097/womens-tennis-cu-buffs-janssens-optimistic-ahead-pac

Not a great start for the Buffs as two of their singles players have already lost. The other players competing are Dhany Quevedo who faces Grace Sari Ysidora of UW, Julyette Steur who faces Kyle S. McPhilllips of UCLA and Ashley Tiefel who won her first match and now faces Laura Posylkin of Cal.

Back