What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Wood v. Gehrke v. ?? Who Starts at QB (and BB2 Hates wood)

It was not plain as day to me. I guess I can't make any reasonable assessment based on game with no pass rush.

Player A
16 for 27 219 Yds 59.3 Comp% 2 Tds 151.8 QB Rat

Player B
11 for 16 196 Yds 68.8 Comp% 1 Td 192.4 QB Rat

26.7% difference between QB ratings

It was not plain as day to me. I guess I can't make any reasonable assessment based on game with no pass rush.

So you'd have them wait until the season starts, play them both under live game conditions then make your decision? How long would you let the platooning go on? 1 game? 2?

Or you could put them through the same drills, the same meetings, the same practice and scrimmage scenarios, and evaluate them based on how they performed. If one stands out, he gets the majority of the reps heading into fall and you see how it goes leading up to the first game.

It seems like this is how this competition was headed, Hirschman didn't like not being named the starter outright, so he made the coach's decision easier by bailing.

In other news BB2 visits Kansas and determines that the earth is flat. Geologist and geographers worldwide are reassessing current beliefs, schools to throw out globes.

Player A

Player B

Thanks for providing the factual evidence.

BTW, isn't this a thread about who will start for CU in 2013? I believe, if I am not mistaken, that Hirsch is not on the roster of CU, and is not eligible to play for CU. So, back to the thread, I totally agree with others who say they would be shocked if Gehrke wins the starting spot.

Player A

Player B

Player A had Nelson Spruce to throw to Player B had Paul Richardson on his team. Both players threw with no pass rush. Player A had better stats in the previous scrimmage.

Thanks for providing the factual evidence.

BTW, isn't this a thread about who will start for CU in 2013? I believe, if I am not mistaken, that Hirsch is not on the roster of CU, and is not eligible to play for CU. So, back to the thread, I totally agree with others who say they would be shocked if Gehrke wins the starting spot.
I have more my own factual evidence. Please post the stats for all of the scrimmages.

Player A had Nelson Spruce to throw to Player B had Paul Richardson on his team. Both players threw with no pass rush. Player A had better stats in the previous scrimmage.

So you believe that the coaches stacked the deck against Hirsch in order to make Wood look better because they wanted a reason to name him the starter, is that what you think?

I know PRich was on Wood's team in the Spring Game, but pretty sure he wasn't being thrown to exclusively by Wood throughout the Spring.

I have a new suggestion. Why doesn't everyone on AB use the ignore function to avoid even seeing BB2's comments? If everyone did it, than noone would see him, he would feel invisible and jump ship to the Akron Zips fanpage.

I have a new suggestion. Why doesn't everyone on AB use the ignore function to avoid even seeing BB2's comments? If everyone did it, than noone would see him, he would feel invisible and jump ship to the Akron Zips fanpage.
Sure, if you don't agree with him ignore him. Typical internet coaches.

Call it the "rifle offense". Two QB's line up four yards behind the guards (LQ and RQ). There's a deep back (TB) seven yards directly behind the center. The offense always features an H-back who can go in motion for blocking or pass catching. He's usually behind the LOS. Two WR's light right up on the line.

WR__________LT LG OC RG RT__________WR
__________________________HB
_______________LQ____RQ
__________________TB

I just revolutionized football.

You just got us a 5 yard penalty for an illegal formation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you believe that the coaches stacked the deck against Hirsch in order to make Wood look better because they wanted a reason to name him the starter, is that what you think?

I know PRich was on Wood's team in the Spring Game, but pretty sure he wasn't being thrown to exclusively by Wood throughout the Spring.
Where did I say the coach stacked the deck against Hirschman? My evaluation of the QB competition is not based solely on the spring game. I hae looked at all of the scrimmages and practices. there was no clear leader. Gehrke looks like a very good QB with a full year of College experience. The last time I saw Wood play in a competitive College game, he was rattled. May the best QB win. Don't count out Sefo and Dillon.

Last edited:
Where did I say the coach stacked the deck against Hirschman? My evaluation of the QB competition is not based solely on the spring game. I hae looked at all of the scrimmages and practices. there was no clear leader. Gehrke looks like a very good QB with a full year of College experience. The last time I saw Wood play in a competitive College game, he was rattled. May the best QB win. Don't count out Sefo and Dillon.

You seem to be the only one who believes there was no clear leader (including apparently Hirsch himself, otherwise why transfer), so you can understand why people suspect you may have some connection to Nick that is clouding your feelings on this.

And I would hardly call what Gehrke has "college experience". He has exactly 0 starts or snaps against a BCS pass rush which I know you like to see before evaluating any QB.

Where did I say the coach stacked the deck against Hirschman? My evaluation of the QB competition is not based at all on the 2013 spring game. It is based entirely on my evaluation of Hirschman in the 2011 spring game.

Fixed.

You seem to be the only one who believes there was no clear leader (including apparently Hirsch himself, otherwise why transfer), so you can understand why people suspect you may have some connection to Nick that is clouding your feelings on this.

And I would hardly call what Gehrke has "college experience". He has exactly 0 starts or snaps against a BCS pass rush which I know you like to see before evaluating any QB.
It is obvious that I am not the only one when the coach himself stated that it was tied.

I don't care if he is 6'3", I care if he plays 6'3".

My real hope is that Wood has taken the job by the throat and will run with it. That said having a guy who has some experience, even if at the JC level and can execute the offense as a back-up makes sense. You rarely ever go through a season without using more than one QB and it will be good to have a kid who has been under fire competing for us.
I just want someone to be the solid #1 and a good backup. I'm tired of QB issues at CU. I know coaches like to have competition, but I'm weary of all this...

friday_gifdump_400_05.gif

If Wood starts against CSU, I will support him and cheer him on like any one on the team. I just don't have enough sample size to name him the starter at this point or clear leader at this point.

If Wood starts against CSU, I will support him and cheer him on like any one on the team. I just don't have enough sample size to name him the starter at this point or clear leader at this point.

By far the most reasonable post I've seen from you regarding this topic.

Coaches have named him clear leader for #1 since the departure of Hirsch. Lindgren is on the record as saying he would start today.

If Wood does not seize the starting Job then we are in trouble. Dillon is probably better than Gerke passing wise but is just not ready. I would like to see Dillon get some reps this year. I hope they step up the scrimmage format in the fall - this spring did not give us a good gauge on the QB's.

MacIntyre is in the same boat that Embree was when he got here - lack of a identified QB for the future and experienced depth at the position. CU losing Web and Hirschman remove the depth with only Wood having any meaningful experience on the field. MacIntyre does have one advantage - Wood, Dillon and Liufau were all more highly regarded as recruits than anyone that Embree inherited.

Things CU needs - Wood to step up and become a solid Pac 12 QB. Dillon to start showing why Ohio State offered him, Sefo to take this year to develop.

If Wood does not seize the starting Job then we are in trouble. Dillon is probably better than Gerke passing wise but is just not ready. I would like to see Dillon get some reps this year. I hope they step up the scrimmage format in the fall - this spring did not give us a good gauge on the QB's.

MacIntyre is in the same boat that Embree was when he got here - lack of a identified QB for the future and experienced depth at the position. CU losing Web and Hirschman remove the depth with only Wood having any meaningful experience on the field. MacIntyre does have one advantage - Wood, Dillon and Liufau were all more highly regarded as recruits than anyone that Embree inherited.

Things CU needs - Wood to step up and become a solid Pac 12 QB. Dillon to start showing why Ohio State offered him, Sefo to take this year to develop.

Ummm, what. NO

I missed the spring game due to travel. However, I did attend a few practices and watched a couple of 30 minute scrimmages at Folsom. During that time, Hirsh was on the team and being competitive. Wood had his problems but did some very good things too. Webb was very journeymen like, but never stood out from the crowd. During that time, the two scrimmage reports I turned in to AllBuffs made no mention of Gehke because I don't recall Gehrke practicing with the team during that time. I seriously doubt Gehrke even sniffs the field this season.

Back