What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Worst Coaches of All-Time...

How did this String that I started months ago, somehow become active? IMBM could be a Stinklon, but perhaps he is an upset USC grad, afraid of impending doom?

On a comical note, this morning I called my kids Godfather who is a proud SC (Tommy Trojan) grad. He says I just recieved my SC alert and they hired a new athletic director, a wiz turning University of Cinci around. He name is Mike Bohn, wasn't he AD for Colorado. He brings his bio up, then sees his tenure at Colorado and trepidation follows, and I refresh him

1. Bohn's bumbling over Gary Barnett (I thank God that CU brought him back to broadcast, good analyst, a Buff true and true). Didn't he win the B12 North 4 of 5 years? Also, he started the Stinklon fire with that 64-36 shellacking...
2. Bohn's can't miss hire: Hawklove!! (Cal Davis won their division last year, surely he is a top-candidate).
3. Bohn left at the alter: Butch Jones (I think he is unemployed, so he could be in LA next week--another top candidate).
4. Bohn's brief Embree experiment (I don't think Embo could be interviewed, given the threat to Bohn physical safety); and
5. I guess Bohn's decent hire HCMM (he can come back West, Ole Miss does not look like they are going anywhere fast). Hire him, so CU can off-set his buyout!!

Then we lamented SC prior AD's, concluding that Bohn may be an upgraade over their past AD's:

1. Mike Garrett pushed out for the Reggie Bush payola+++++++++++++ = forfeits and sanctions;
2. Pat Hayden, a Rhodes Scholar with no AD background whatsoever--who we decided was probably senile, given his bizarre behavior and his very short term on the Football Playoff Committee-- he did fire Lane Kiffen on the tarmac, so that could be a plus?; and
3. Lynn Swann (Swannie), no background in college athletics but he was a good golfer and wore cool shades. I guess his biggest sin was hiring a drunk; complete blindness given the Varsity Blues scandal; and perhaps just being completely clueless...from Day 1. If Bohn were to go that route, his candidate would have to be Rick Neuweasel--just pluck him out of the booth.

The dark cloud is lifting, as I see CU breaking the SC curse under MT sooner rather than later. My friend finally had to cut of the call saying "oh no, I have the nerves!!) LOL

Last edited:
This sentiment is fairly common among the fan base.

What it drives home for me is that I was wrong during the HC search last year when I wanted an offensive guru for a HC. Finesse football is not what works in Boulder. It's not popular with the fan base and it goes against cultural DNA.

Further, trying to go with a media darling type coach also fails spectacularly in Boulder. Many of the traits that might make a coach popular with the non-football community in Boulder are not what is good for the football program from a cultural standpoint. Please the true stakeholders with a hard nosed football guy rather than trying to please the locals who don't care much about football but love to have opinions at the neighborhood party. Those locals will come around if we're winning or at least be neutralized by the winning. McCartney proved that by being politically incorrect at an epic level but he was untouchable because he was also winning at an epic level.

I think Tucker is the right type of coach for CU. Physical football based on winning in the trenches. No shying away from expecting his team to be violent and aggressive on the field -- he didn't sugarcoat that in his interviews despite it probably giving a few of our Regents heart palpitations to hear it. Committed to being engaged with the public as the face & voice of the program, but not approaching it as self-promotion -- it's just part of the job that helps with attendance/revenue and recruiting, which directly leads to winning. He also clearly has his eye on this job, not chasing the next job by how the CU job can build his resume. Doesn't mean he'll retire as the CU coach, but he's clearly 100% invested in a process-oriented approach of building the best possible program for the long-term.

I'm very happy wit Tucker and I learned a lot from this hiring process. I fully understand why Mel Tucker was Rick George's guy and why the flash of guys like Rick (and Hawkins) are simply bad fits for CU regardless of how talented the coaching candidate may be and how much he may have won elsewhere. You always have to be true to your DNA and Tucker has that.

This is where I'm at. I think CMT is the right type of guy, and I think he can win big here. I do think we need some upgrades on the defensive staff-referenced this in my post the other night in the Jay Johnson thread.

Back