What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Would Barnett have won the North with this year's roster?

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Even with Hawkins, we had double digit 2nd half leads against Baylor, Texas Tech and Kansas. Programs like Missouri and Oklahoma have recently shown that they are very beatable. Even Nebraska got stoned at home by a bad Texas team and barely escaped a "revenge" game against a middling talented Iowa State team.

Plus, in the non-conference schedule we have learned that Cal isn't very good at all.

GB definitely wouldn't have been able to recruit our current roster based on the results we were seeing at the end of his tenure... but he almost always won on the field when his team had equal or better talent that the opponent.

Would GB have won 8+ games this season?

Would he have won the North?

I don't know about winning the North. But I was going to post a similar thread: "What would be the record of this team with a competent coaching staff?" I believe they'd be at 6 wins now (including Baylor, TTech, KU--three games of meltdowns), and potentially could've reached 8. That, at least is something for hope: maybe the cupboard won't be that bare for the next coach, not in great shape and fully stocked, but something to work with--Richardson for sure.

This team? Even with good coaching I'm not convinced that Mizzou and especially nebraska would be W's.

But I agree with Century, we'd be at six wins with at least one, maybe two more coming our way.

I definitely think Gary could have gotten us to 8 wins this season, but not win the north. Gary had his faults, but he did do a good job of winning games he should win...and the weakness of the Big XII this year is a whole lot of games that we should win. (However, let me be clear that I in no way would not want him back.)

I find it funny that the best year Hawk produced had remnants of GB's team which was not impressive by recruiting rankings. However, Gary and his coaching staff were able to coach the kids so they progressed, leaving some good experience.

Hawk and his crew have failed the kids and shown no ability to progress them - or put them in position to win.

No we wouldnt have but we would win 7-8 games and be in a good bowl game.

Gary losses his job before the bowl game but we have to let hawkins coach
the rest of the year so cody will not be upset?. Bohn needs to grow a pair.

Barney probably has us winning against Baylor, Tech, and Kansas. Not sure he would beat Missouri or Nebraska this year, but at least he'd have us ready for Nebraska. Kstate and Iowa State are iffy. I remember some dumb losses against Iowa State during the Barnett years.

Barney probably has us winning against Baylor, Tech, and Kansas. Not sure he would beat Missouri or Nebraska this year, but at least he'd have us ready for Nebraska. Kstate and Iowa State are iffy. I remember some dumb losses against Iowa State during the Barnett years.

The beginning of the end was the loss in Ames, 2005. Seriously, if you're playing a team named after a natural phenomenon, and that phenomenon actually occurs while you're playing them--you're pretty much ****ed.

The beginning of the end was the loss in Ames, 2005. Seriously, if you're playing a team named after a natural phenomenon, and that phenomenon actually occurs while you're playing them--you're pretty much ****ed.

That game was crazy and their WRs were 7ft tall.

We only lose because the players can't finish. Coaching has nothing to do with the game of football.

[sarcastic font]

yes. we would have won the north. the last time barnett had 2 nfl quality ol and a good rb and a shutdown corner or 2, he won the big 12.

hawkins will never, ever coach again. i am not saying that this team has conference championship talent because i don't believe that it does, but it is, with proper coaching, a team that wins 7 to 9 games this year for sure.

did i mention that hawkins and his merry band of ass clown surrender monkeys are the worst staff in the history of football at any level? my kindergarten kid could gameplan better than these d-bags. my dog could coach special teams better.

yes. we would have won the north. the last time barnett had 2 nfl quality ol and a good rb and a shutdown corner or 2, he won the big 12.

hawkins will never, ever coach again. i am not saying that this team has conference championship talent because i don't believe that it does, but it is, with proper coaching, a team that wins 7 to 9 games this year for sure.

did i mention that hawkins and his merry band of ass clown surrender monkeys are the worst staff in the history of football at any level? my kindergarten kid could gameplan better than these d-bags. my dog could coach special teams better.

Henderson was pretty much spot on regarding this staff:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/sports/2010/11/07/no-adjustments-for-colorado/13864/

with good coaching we lose to cal, mizzou, oklahoma, kstate, and nebraska.

We would have been in the hunt for the North. GB's recruiting fell off at the end with everything going on, but when he had players he knew how to put them in a position to succeed. Heck we still won a decent amount of games when he didn't have much in the way of players.

I think this team has some talent, they have just been taught so poorly they have no idea what they are doing. GB would have taught them from the beginning how to play, and by the time a lot of them were juniors and seniors (now) we would have been killing it. GB would have gotten then running game going and he would have finally had the deep threat receivers (Clemons, Richardson, Patterson) we needed back then.

Make no mistake, Talkins and his posse have messed this thing up.

Looking at the games, I'd say a Barnett coached team beats BU, TT, KU. So, we'd be 3-2 in Big 12 play with at least a shot at the North down the stretch. Probably don't win all 3 of those games though, so I'd say no he wouldn't have won the north, but we sure as hell would have come closer than we will with our current HC.

I don't think we would have won the north but we would have shown better against Cal (still lost), shown better against misery (perhaps a win) and beat TT, Faylor, and KU. We would win 8 games.

Back