What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Would incremental improvement in football get you excited?

What it would take to get you fired up

• Major Splash in BOTH results & recruiting

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • Major Splash in EITHER results or recruiting

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • Incremental Improvement in BOTH results & recruiting

Votes: 64 58.7%
  • Incremental Improvement in EITHER results or recruiting

Votes: 9 8.3%

• Total voters
because I just don't see a major recruiting bump coming without the on field results with this staff. That isn't meant to be a bust - this staff was built to coach and build a program - not as dynamic recruiters (for better or worse).

I think this is why I don't see getting fired up for a while. One good thing about your observation is that at least when some marquee kids start coming in, I think HCMM will know what to do with them. I don't believe the last two coaches really did.

I'm down with incremental improvement across the board. Improvement in recruiting rankings top 50 or better, at least 4 FBS wins and reduced margin of losses. But would be thrilled if we could get into a bowl somehow and get down to top 40 rankings for 2015 class. Should also say-love to see at least 2 victories in the Pac this year

I'd be happy with incremental improvement, but I'd get "fired up" with a major splash in both. So thats how I voted. I guess my definition of "fired up" is a little different than most of you.

I am going to the Cal game this year and very much plan on seeing us pick up a win on the road. If they take care of the non-conference, beat Cal and pick up a win against OSU, I think we have a real meaningful game in Boulder on Saturday, Nov 29th to get to a bowl. This is the plan I am going with this year and have some faith it will get done. That will be more than incremental progress and should set up a fantastic story of building success that can be used to close a recruiting class that will be a big step up from past years.

Satisfied. Win 4-5. Clear Improvement in turnovers caused and points per game on the defense. Showing the ability to slow down any quarterbacks running a read option. Offense increasing production despite the loss of our best playmaker through growth from sefo and Adkins and other players complimenting spruce. No big special teams lapses like early 2013. Closing on lynott. Adding a few more guys with bcs offers. Beating the Arizona schools for a couple of recruits.

giddy-bowl eligible with a victory in the bowl game. A clear step up in play from defense with a pass rush that allows a mature secondary to make plays. Playing competitive on D against the best teams in the conference. Seeing the signs of some true playmakers stepping up on offense and sefo showing strong growth.

I am not sure that recruiting will ever get me fired up until we recruit and retain some blue chips that produce at an all conference level. We have had too many players that had me excited that have failed to meet the hype. I also think recruiting time frames have moved up too much for us to have much of a chance at a top 25 class this season. We would need to be leading on guys we were among the first to offer like Trent Irwin, Petite and Jones.

I want a major splash. Like Hawkins' teams beating Oklahoma or landing the #1 RB in the nation. I don't see us getting a sniff of the best RB in the country, so I'll have to hope for a major upset. It could and does happen occasionally.

I expect incremental improvement, in both areas.

Play tough for the entire game. Win 4-5 games against actual bcs level teams. Expected.

For recruiting, give me the solid talent evaluators. You can be star struck all you want, but the last time we traveled that road, we ended up with a too-stiff right end, a rock toting linebacker, and the poppin fresh running back.

I thought the last time we went star gazing, we had an all-conference WR drafted in the 2nd round, a TE make it to the league, and a productive starter at LT.

Who ya talking about, Duff?

PRich was a 4* who was on his way to fucla, but we we're real fortunate to land because of an off field incident. We've had 2 left tackles get drafted in Solder and Bahktiari who left hs as 2* recruits (altho I think 1 service has Nate as a 3* te, iirc). Can't think of the tight end you're speaking of - who was that?

My point was simple; I'd rather see the staff do due diligence in their evaluations. imho, the current staff is much better evaluators than the past 2.

Satisfied with continued measurable incremental improvement. Fired up if/when the "signature win" happens on the field (a recruiting "signature win" won't do it for me).

Starts with recruiting and player development. By year 3 Coach Mac has to start showing something that looks like its going somewhere.

Recruiting isn't going to come before some W's with this staff...

Catch 22

Can't recruit without wins, can't win without recruits.

M2 and staff have done a great job of finding some hidden talents and have generally raised the level of recruiting to a point were we are at least in the ballpark with the bottom of the PAC.

Now we have to take the next step. We have to win some more games to show recruits we are going in the right direction but we also have to win some recruiting battles and bring in talent that can take us the next step up in wins.

All the above is absolutely correct but geez MM has only been here one year. The four additions of linebacker preferred walk on the defensive lineman ,the 2 offensive lineman since signing day that's a big change

Luckily MM and his staff are good at developing players....continue to increase production and wins and then sell the fact that you can develop NFL ready talent so that higher level recruits start to come to your school.....it is the Wisconsin/Stanford model but it can be successful

Catch 22

Can't recruit without wins, can't win without recruits.

M2 and staff have done a great job of finding some hidden talents and have generally raised the level of recruiting to a point were we are at least in the ballpark with the bottom of the PAC.

Now we have to take the next step. We have to win some more games to show recruits we are going in the right direction but we also have to win some recruiting battles and bring in talent that can take us the next step up in wins.

I didn't say they need a lot of wins, but they need 6 to show that they're improving. Go to a bowl game this year and recruits will come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't say they need a lot of wins, but they need 6 to show that they're improving. Go to a bowl game this year and recruits will come.

'Tini, I don't get your posts sometimes. Infallibly optimistic, always glass half full, and "ultimatums" of minimal levels of expectations. Then, when they only achieve 4 wins, you will be here defending the outcomes, staff, and team. I don't get it. Why set the minimum bar of success at what most feel would be a wildly successful breakout year given the talent on the team and minimum number of senior impact players?

'Tini, I don't get your posts sometimes. Infallibly optimistic, always glass half full, and "ultimatums" of minimal levels of expectations. Then, when they only achieve 4 wins, you will be here defending the outcomes, staff, and team. I don't get it. Why set the minimum bar of success at what most feel would be a wildly successful breakout year given the talent on the team and minimum number of senior impact players?

The hell are you talking about? 6 wins is needed for recruits to buy in. Debate that all you want, but it's true. Recruits aren't going to hop on this bus until progress is shown. Where am I defending 4 wins? From last year? Oh, excuse me for defending a staff that we saw visible progress from in their first season?

And **** the minimum, it's time for real expectations. If you expect the minimum then you'll never go anywhere.

Last edited:
Recruiting isn't going to come with this staff...

fify.

Also it will be nice when we can finally start recruiting well in the '16 class after our first bowl game. But only after we've added 60-75 scholarship players through below average recruiting.

Last edited:
fify.

Also it will be nice when we can finally start recruiting well in the '16 class after our first bowl game. But only after we've added 60-75 scholarship players through below average recruiting.

That's just a dumb conclusion

That's just a dumb conclusion

"The most accurate predictor of the future is past performance." Obviously recruiting would get better with a bowl game, but I doubt we'll ever see a "Major Splash" under this staff

"The most accurate predictor of the future is past performance." Obviously recruiting would get better with a bowl game, but I doubt we'll ever see a "Major Splash" under this staff

I'm not sure I disagree with that assessment, I just think it's tough to judge their recruiting chops and how we finish the '15 class will be much more telling.

The hell are you talking about? 6 wins is needed for recruits to buy in. Debate that all you want, but it's true. Recruits aren't going to hop on this bus until progress is shown. Where am I defending 4 wins? From last year? Oh, excuse me for defending a staff that we saw visible progress from in their first season?

And **** the minimum, it's time for real expectations. If you expect the minimum then you'll never go anywhere.

Tini - you miss the point. 6 wins would be great. You are kidding yourself with "6 wins, no exceptions".

Tini - you miss the point. 6 wins would be great. You are kidding yourself with "6 wins, no exceptions".

Ok but that's not what I was saying. I was saying that 6 wins is going to be needed for a recruiting splash and for recruits to buy in they will want to see a bowl game. 5 might work depending on who the wins are against, ie. if a win is against UCLA or ASU, but I think 6 wins is needed.

tini will change his tune if it doesn't happen. "Oh, I didn't know so and so would get injured" or "we were so close to winning such and such game."

tini will change his tune if it doesn't happen. "Oh, I didn't know so and so would get injured" or "we were so close to winning such and such game."

Well injuries should throw a wrench in everyone's predictions when looking bac. When making basketball picks no one was planning on Spencer getting hurt. Anything less than 5 wins in '14 and I'll be very disappointed.

Well injuries should throw a wrench in everyone's predictions when looking bac. When making basketball picks no one was planning on Spencer getting hurt. Anything less than 5 wins in '14 and I'll be very disappointed.

Yep. Pre-season, all we can look at is every team being fully healthy.

If, for example, UCLA was to lose Brett Hundley or Oregon was to lose Marcus Mariota then our expectations for their seasons (and our hopes/prayers for the CU game) would be adjusted.

I don't mean to get between a tini/slider squabble, but this is ridiculous. With a bowl game, we will see a "Major Splash." The coaching staff is still proving itself in the PAC 12 and we are finally providing great facilities. The splash might not come this year (or maybe it will) but with improvement on the field the good recruits will come.

Back