What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Would Kentucky make the playoffs in the NBA Eastern Conference?

Is Kentucky an NBA playoff team in the East?

• Yes

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • No

Votes: 69 89.6%

• Total voters

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
It's been said by Larry Brown and other coaches.

I have thought "maybe" but I'm becoming more and more of a believer. The Celtics are sitting at the 8-seed right now and I think this Kentucky team would roll them.

No. they might beat the 76ers in a best of five, but over the course of an NBA season I don't believe they'd be in the top 70%, much less the top 50%.

They'd be lucky to win one game. It's a different level. It's like the Russians in the Olympics before 1972 when they finally broke through against the USA.
they didnt break through... they were gifted through... US got screwed

They'd beat Philly and NY if it counted in the standings and draft position lol.

But nah, I would take the pro team every time.

You guys remember Isaiah Thomas II at Washington? He was Boston's leading scorer before getting hurt. Jeff Green's their best player. He was a nice player at Georgetown but wasn't a superstar.

Kentucky is playing 9 McDonald's All-Americans. 6 guys returned from last year's team who could have gone to the NBA but decided to come back. They have more talent and more height than most NBA teams. The only things that might hold them back are outside shooting and physical strength. I think they've got enough to overcome that to be better than the glut of crap in the East.

Kentucky would have the secnd tallest team in the NBA, only behind Portland. Kentucky with Cal could make an 8 seed

Hell no, NBA is 82 games, year round conditioning, at least twice the amount of practice and film study. Not to mention across the board strength and maturity advantages.

You gotta keep in mind that the strength and conditioning and depth of NBA teams is a massive difference. All of the Kentucky players are great amateur talents, but they still look college doughy. I think the 08 Heat lineup that consisted of Daequan Cook, Chris Quinn, Kasib Powell, Earl Barron, and other scrubs could definitely be upset. But even Jordan McRae couldn't make the 76ers lineup and he was a 6'5" two time all sec player who would be a dominant guard in that Kentucky system.

How many of the UK guys will be on an NBA roster for 5 years? Every person in the NBA has proved themselves or else they wouldn't have a job. The UK team shows tremendous talent, but would fold when they lost the first 12 out of 13 or whatever. The mental aspect of the game cannot be understated.

They aren't used to playing so many games (rookies tend to get gassed towards the end of the year). Still have the strength issue.

Guys in the NBA play against vets every day, UK plays against lesser competition and rookies on their own team.

That said I think they win it all. Impressive

Not a chance in hell imho. Reminds me years back when they were saying the U could beat an NFL team, uhh no they couldn't have. Interesting question though. If they could beat anybody, it would probably be the Knicks. They should of let the Knicks in the NCAA tourney, that would've been some entertainment especially if they didn't win it lol.

I guess you'd have to ask yourself, "Would the New York Nicks win the NCAA Championship?"

I realize this year's Kentucky team is better than last year's, but I just want to point out that Kentucky's second best player last season (James Young) is currently on that Celtics team and is getting next to no playing time. It's a whole other beast. The NBA guys roll them.

My first reaction is no, there's no way. But when Larry Brown who has won both an NBA and an NCAA championship as a coach says they could, it makes me wonder.

This is about the equivalent of saying Alabama could make the NFL playoffs in football.

Big difference between the two. All five starters and one or two other guys can make the NBA, which is about 50% of the team. No way Bama can put 22 starters and another 22 non-starters into the NFL.

Of the 7-8 Kentucky players that will eventually go to the NBA, chances are that maybe 1 of them will be any sort of difference maker or even solid starter for their respective team. The rest will be JAGs or fizzle out over a few years. Zero chance they make the playoff against proven NBA starters.

It's an interesting question. While I believe the difference between the NBA and college is less pronounced in basketball than it is in football, I still think the rigors of an 82 game season would wear down even the best college hoops team.

Back