What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Would Kentucky make the playoffs in the NBA Eastern Conference?

Is Kentucky an NBA playoff team in the East?

• Yes

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • No

Votes: 69 89.6%

• Total voters
I have been a Kentucky fan since my early teen years. I voted yes, but I am biased.

One thing to keep in mind with this Kentucky team is they aren't the all freshman, head case groups of the past Kentucky teams. If they were fully healthy with Alex Poythress, I think they have a shot at making the playoffs. Boston is amongst the youngest teams in the NBA but are in the playoff hunt for the 8th seed. This is one of the most selfish teams I have seen having 8 (9 with AP) All-Americans on a team. Very balanced.

One other thing to keep in mind is coaching. I believe Izzo, Coach K and Calipari have all matured to the point they can coach at any level (Calipari struggled due to immaturity his first go in the NBA) and coaching is weak in the NBA and if you can have a young team with those coaches, you have a shot.

Now, if you take the UK players from 2010-present and put them on a team, they may challenge for Top 4.

Just to confirm the point...if you can't win the college championship you're not going to do well in the NBA.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab...ans-as-kentucky-will-next-year-194851314.html

Granted, this is an article from last year but it still illustrates my argument. Would Kentucky make the playoffs in the NBA Eastern Conference? Absolutely not. They'd probably finish dead last. Just because you have more McDonald All-Americans than the majority of NBA teams doesn't mean you'll beat an NBA team. Some of the worst teams (the 76ers had 8 when this article was written) have more McDonald All-Americans than some of the best (the Spurs had 2). You also have to consider that the best NBA players who were McDonald All-Americans were acquired and drafted from different classes and that this Kentucky team would essentially be going up against the best of the best McDonald All-Americans and their teammates who out performed former McDonald All-Americans.

No offense Buffnik, as I like you as a poster, but this might be the worst thread in the history of Allbuffs.

Kentucky would get destroyed by Boston, likely by 30+ points.

Olynyk, Sullinger, Zeller, Turner, Smart are all All-Americans. Turner won the Wooden award and would be a better guard then anyone on Kentucky's roster, not even taking into account his time in the NBA. Smart likewise is also better then any guard on Kentucky's roster. Their guards would get absolutely massacred by the Celtics.

Kentucky does have a size advantage, but it is mainly raw and inexperienced size

No offense Buffnik, as I like you as a poster, but this might be the worst thread in the history of Allbuffs.

Olynyk, Sullinger, Zeller, Turner, Smart are all All-Americans. Turner won the Wooden award and would be a better guard then anyone on Kentucky's roster, not even taking into account his time in the NBA. Smart likewise is also better then any guard on Kentucky's roster. Their guards would get absolutely massacred by the Celtics.

Kentucky does have a size advantage, but it is mainly raw and inexperienced size
You're right, but it certainly isn't even close to the worst thread ever.

Yeah, he's OK as a poster, but otherwise, not so much. :nod:

Last edited:
It's a fair post.

Biggest problem with Kentucky is they lacked the main threat and when games get close like that you lose. Also hurts not having a true 1-5 and missing SF the last 3/4 of the season meant a team that could match their bigs would give them fits.

A good follow-up question is if you take the 15 best college basketball players lead by Coach K, can they make the playoffs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a fair post.

Biggest problem with Kentucky is they lacked the main threat and when games get close like that you lose. Also hurts not having a true 1-5 and missing SF the last 3/4 of the season meant a team that could match their bigs would give them fits.

A good follow-up question is if you take the 15 best college basketball players lead by Coach K, can they make the playoffs?

No

It's a fair post.

He can't even beat Greece with 15 of the best players in the world.

Ever notice how the annual "would X college team beat X pro team?" debate always revolves around schools that are 100+ miles away from cities with pro sports?

So with seven of their players going into the NBA draft we will get an idea, at least individually, how they stack up in the NBA.

So with seven of their players going into the NBA draft we will get an idea, at least individually, how they stack up in the NBA.

I think Alex Poythress is waiting for the NBA to weigh in on where he'd be drafted off the ACL injury. Could be 8.

Back