What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

would you support Ceal Barry as the new AD?

Would you support/donate to Ceal Barry as AD?

• Yes

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • No

Votes: 77 87.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

absinthe

Ambitious but rubbish.
Club Member
Junta Member
With this news out of Boulder yesterday:

http://www.allbuffs.com/content.php/1944-Little-movement-in-hiring-of-new-CU-Buffs-athletic-director

That our fearless leader Chancellor Distefano has yet to even form a search committee for what was apparently a well thought out planned "resignation" it is looking more and more like the CU I know and don't love: vision-less, reactionary, and steered by career bureaucrats. Give that it is increasingly likely they'll make the easy choice rather that the bold one and that we'll get some form of Mike Bohn light. Given that would the current interim AD be the worst choice to take the job full time?

I guess I would be forced to support Ceal, but I do not think she is the right person for the massive restructuring we need. If this happened, Distephano's job better be in serious jeopardy (it's a shame it's not already).

I have no clue how long she's going to remain the interim AD, but since she's been appointed the interim AD, she needs to prove to everyone that she can leed the fundraising, and management of the AD in a transparent way that also goes above & beyond anything that has been attempted before with proven results. IMO, I don't think she's a good fit and everyday that this drags on without progress is worrisome. DiStiff seams to be more arrogant in his decision making and has a car ta blanch attitude while answering to no one. DiStiff & Benson really need to clear the air with the CU faithful sooner, not later. Just when I thought things couldn't get any worse.......................................................................

I have no clue how long she's going to remain the interim AD, but since she's been appointed the interim AD, she needs to prove to everyone that she can leed the fundraising, and management of the AD in a transparent way that also goes above & beyond anything that has been attempted before with proven results. IMO, I don't think she's a good fit and everyday that this drags on without progress is worrisome. DiStiff seams to be more arrogant in his decision making and has a car ta blanch attitude while answering to no one. DiStiff & Benson really need to clear the air with the CU faithful sooner, not later. Just when I thought things couldn't get any worse.......................................................................

agreed ****ing crickets out of Boulder, more of the same rudderless leadership.

I guess I would be forced to support Ceal, but I do not think she is the right person for the massive restructuring we need. If this happened, Distephano's job better be in serious jeopardy (it's a shame it's not already).

Agreed.. if Ceal is named the new AD, Phil and company are setting her up to fail. I'm scared to death that Sacky's predicition of naming Ceal and hiring a fund raiser, will come true.

I wouldn't support the decision.

I have mad respect for Ceal, but do not want her to be AD. CU doesn't need the "former coach" type to lead the athletic department right now. CU needs a wizard on fundraising and corporate sponsorships. I don't think that's Ceal.

Is there really a choice?

With this news out of Boulder yesterday:

http://www.allbuffs.com/content.php/1944-Little-movement-in-hiring-of-new-CU-Buffs-athletic-director

That our fearless leader Chancellor Distefano has yet to even form a search committee for what was apparently a well thought out planned "resignation" it is looking more and more like the CU I know and don't love: vision-less, reactionary, and steered by career bureaucrats. Give that it is increasingly likely they'll make the easy choice rather that the bold one and that we'll get some form of Mike Bohn light. Given that would the current interim AD be the worst choice to take the job full time?

I would have to actively support her as I wantCU to re-assume the flagship university status it once had in football.

Fortunately, I think Benson understands how small time this would make CU look, and we will not be faced with this.

Finally, I don't think the passage of time is hurting our AD right now. I don't think Bohn was days, or even months, from an announcement of a focused and intensive capital campaign to drive CU into the future. I also don't think he had a donor on the line to close the same. So, if it takes three months to replace him, it demonstrates two things. 1.) Bohn was a good enough manager that he had the group working well enough to survive his absence. 2.) Fundraising was at a place where his presence didn't hurt or help.

I think Ceal was a great coach. If she is able to round up a hundred mil in the next 90 days while in her interim role, then she would have demonstrated an ability I had doubts about. If she did that, I would be fully on board with her as a new AD. If not, I would like someone from outside CU with a track record of: 1.) Avoiding scandal. 2.) Success in football 3.) Success in capital campaigns.

Go Buffs.

I would never vote for her to become AD, but if she were named the AD then I would support her and hope for the best.

I wouldn't support the decision.

I have mad respect for Ceal, but do not want her to be AD. CU doesn't need the "former coach" type to lead the athletic department right now. CU needs a wizard on fundraising and corporate sponsorships. I don't think that's Ceal.

Agree with you I have a ton of respect for Ceal and some of my high school classmates even played for her, but the coach/AD insider role is not what we need now. We need new blood, a big vision, a dynamic and effective fundraiser. I'd feel the exact same way of CJ's name was floated as well.

Tepidly. Unless she showed some fire getting football facilities done, I would see her as a sign that Distephano has no idea what he is doing, has no plan, and fired the AD we had because he was finally making waves and demanding attention from the University brass, not because he wanted to move forward.

I would hope she could overcome her boss. The last guy couldn't.

Sorry, but no ****ing way. The job needs somebody young and energetic. Somebody with serious fundraising experience and ability. Somebody with at least some background administering a D-1 football program. Somebody who can get people's attention and support directed to Boulder.

Ceal Barry is none of those things. Love her legacy as a coach. Please don't put her in a position that can only ruin it.

we need an AD that has demonstrated the ability to run a very large organization at a profit and who has a proven fund raising track record. i'd also like someone who clearly and absolutely demonstrates that football is the engine that drives everything.

i don't believe ceal fits the bill, even a little bit. if she is hired, i believe it signals that we've decided to de-emphasize football and that we don't really care about facilities upgrades.

I would have to actively support her as I wantCU to re-assume the flagship university status it once had in football.

Fortunately, I think Benson understands how small time this would make CU look, and we will not be faced with this.

Finally, I don't think the passage of time is hurting our AD right now. I don't think Bohn was days, or even months, from an announcement of a focused and intensive capital campaign to drive CU into the future. I also don't think he had a donor on the line to close the same. So, if it takes three months to replace him, it demonstrates two things. 1.) Bohn was a good enough manager that he had the group working well enough to survive his absence. 2.) Fundraising was at a place where his presence didn't hurt or help.

I think Ceal was a great coach. If she is able to round up a hundred mil in the next 90 days while in her interim role, then she would have demonstrated an ability I had doubts about. If she did that, I would be fully on board with her as a new AD. If not, I would like someone from outside CU with a track record of: 1.) Avoiding scandal. 2.) Success in football 3.) Success in capital campaigns.

Go Buffs.

So stagnation in the AD is good policy. Got it.

It would be par for the course with CU. Say they need a dynamic person that has experience with running large organizations, then hire someone unqualified.

I support the athletes so I voted Yes. I would donate under Ceal or whoever else is put in place.

But my yes vote is not an endorsement of Ceal being the best candidate for the job.
i'd prefer a proven executive from the United Way, American Red Cross or American Cancer Society over the former coach.

we need an AD that has demonstrated the ability to run a very large organization at a profit and who has a proven fund raising track record. i'd also like someone who clearly and absolutely demonstrates that football is the engine that drives everything.

i don't believe ceal fits the bill, even a little bit. if she is hired, i believe it signals that we've decided to de-emphasize football and that we don't really care about facilities upgrades.

That would also make Benson's comments false and I don't believe for a second that he would send out an email to the alumni and then hire Ceal.

Seems like a lot of people are freaking out about Ceal being the permanent AD for no reason.

That would also make Benson's comments false and I don't believe for a second that he would send out an email to the alumni and then hire Ceal.

Seems like a lot of people are freaking out about Ceal being the permanent AD for no reason.

you have not been around CU long enough.

you have not been around CU long enough.

Maybe, but sorry for being skeptical of Ceal being the permanent AD when the president of the school comes out and basically says Ceal is not a candidate by outlining the qualifications.

And other than Embree, who else has been hired in recent history that was not qualified for their position?

Maybe, but sorry for being skeptical of Ceal being the permanent AD when the president of the school comes out and basically says Ceal is not a candidate by outlining the qualifications.

And other than Embree, who else has been hired in recent history that was not qualified for their position?

It isn't the qualification thing, and honestly if I thought Benson was running this show I'd be less scared but to me it seems like it is DeStiff. Which will get us the safe uninspiring choice of a bureaucrat lifer, some one who appeases groups but cant lead, the choice that basically is good enough not to get you fired. We need better than that.

It isn't the qualification thing, and honestly if I thought Benson was running this show I'd be less scared but to me it seems like it is DeStiff. Which will get us the safe uninspiring choice of a bureaucrat lifer, some one who appeases groups but cant lead, the choice that basically is good enough not to get you fired. We need better than that.

So that's where the confusion is. Why wouldn't Benson be in charge of it all?

So that's where the confusion is. Why wouldn't Benson be in charge of it all?

Because after the 2005 pseudo scandal, the issue of institutional control lead cu leadership to move the CUAD under the chancellor.

Hiring an AD will take months...Rutgers hired their new AD too quickly and how has that turned out?

Offcourse I would support Ceal Barry as a AD.

She is a former coach, has experience in the CU Athletic dept and she is smart, likable.

In the same way I supported Embree as coach. I don't think it would be a good hire, but I'm certainly not going to do anything to undermine her if she's chosen. I'll wait for her to fail and will hope we don't screw up the next hire. Oh, and I'll count the days until Phil is unemployed.

the last thing we need to do is hire someone from the past. i like Ceal and she had some good and a couple great teams....and she's a solid choice for interim.

maybe you guys have noticed but our living in the past thing isn't helping out much.

i'd support her, but i'm more concerned that firing Bohn at this time isn't sending a negative message to any promising hires to come into our "troubled" situation.

however, i wouldn't read too much into Phil not putting together a committee yet....NOTHING happens at CU in May. it's also a standard PR move at CU to do some crazy stuff at the end of the semester.....and let the doldrums of the summer take the edge off.

anything coming from the admin structure is all about this.....

Back