Xbox One vs. Playstation 4

Discussion in 'Games' started by Daaah, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Highlander

Highlander There can be only one Club Member

Microsoft officially kills the Kinect. Well, production of the Kinect at least.

Some of the Kinect games from the XBox 360 are the ones that still get the most use in our household particularly when a bunch of kids are over (Track & Field, the Rafting one, etc.). It was meant to be the centerpiece of the living room with its inclusion by default with the XBOne, but the functionality never really materialized the way they thought and ultimately MS went on the defensive and stopped including it with lower price points to try to keep up with the PS4.

I will give Microsoft credit for this though: They know how to pivot these days. Their initial strategy to be that center of living room completely fell apart when they couldn't strike the right relationships with content providers while PS4 won the gaming community by focusing on, well, games. After starting with a massive hole on game exclusives because of their focus on broader entertainment options, they have narrowed the lead to almost parity in just what, 3 years from the time they shifted focus?

It looks like they are still going to lose this generation to the PS4 (roughly 2:1 sales advantage), but it their recovery has been impressive.

TDforTD likes this.
  2. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

MS just doesn't get it. Kinect is great technology, but they misused it. Look what Amazon has done with it

buffedup, TDforTD and Highlander like this.
  3. Jalapeno

Jalapeno Doom Slayer Club Member

Lucky PS4 owners! Sounds like a timed exclusive in this situation.

4. FLounder

FLounder The Buffs will rise again! Club Member

Halo 5 is still the go to.

5. Jalapeno

6. Jalapeno

Just wait till Halo 6 comes out for the PC as well.

7. TDforTD

TDforTD Club Member Club Member

Does anyone else have volume issues in certain apps on the PS4? Both twitch and YouTube are too quiet, no matter what the volume is set to. But then Netflix, video games, movies, etc will be the appropriate volume like they should be.

8. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

Jalepeno and Guac? Sounds like a winning combo.

Jalapeno likes this.
  9. Highlander

I have this problem on the Roku. The ESPN app is 25% louder than the Sling or Netflix apps. I suspect the developer has a certain level of control here that they do not realize is jarring to the user as they go between apps.

TDforTD likes this.
  10. buffedup

I've never understood the fanboy issue with one system over another. Historically, I've just owned them all and competition is best for all of us.

I will say that now that I'm Al Bundy and have very little free time to game, I stick almost exclusively to single player content. I'm a natural introvert, so being left alone to unwind with a decent single-player game is a slice of heaven for me.

My point is that it does appear that Playstation trends more towards the single-player experience, while Xbox trends towards the multi-player experience, so I have found myself to be mostly a Playstation user over the last few years.

11. Jalapeno

Played with the XBox One X at Park Meadows. They have Forza 7 and Madden 18 demos on the XBX and Forza 7 seemed smooth on the 4K monitor it was hooked up to.

I think the XBX would be one heck of a 1080p machine. With Forza 7, the game ran smoother on the XBX than the XBS. If anyone wants to get a XBox One but haven't bought the original or the S refresh, I would strongly recommend that they skip those two and go straight to the X. Even Forza 7 in 4K on the X still ran smoother (to me) than the XBS in full HD in the YouTube video. Believe the hype about X.

Doom running in 4K on the X.

12. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

what's the ETA to next gen consoles? I have a regular PS4 and just can't find it in me to upgrade to a PS4 pro, but I don't have an xbox so maybe I'd consider an X. But if the next gen stuff is only a year or two away, I think I'll just hold out.

13. Highlander

This is a great question with no firm answer. This article was pretty good.

TL;DR version: no one knows but even money on 2019 with 100% backward compatibility.

Also keep in mind that new games tend to come out for current and previous gen consoles at least 12 months after release of the new generation. If right, that buys you 3 years or so while still being able to purchase most new releases.

It is interesting to see that MS is sort of taking a mobile phone approach with annual releases while Sony hasn’t done so. I guess that is the difference between a leader and follower position.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  14. White_Rabbit

Yeah right after I hit post here I had the great idea to just google it myself to find out.

I generally try to wait a year or so to buy the new console since prices drop and games that are exclusively made for the new console don't come out for awhile.

I'm definitely not down for a phone style approach. And I really hope they don't go to mainly streaming gaming because my internet sucks big time balls.

Highlander likes this.
  15. dio

I think the notion of big console releases will go away as they begin a more PC type approach with everything being backward compatible, but older consoles being gradually phased out as the software passes them by

White_Rabbit and Highlander like this.
  16. dio

Also, as much as it will hurt some folks with crappy internet, the move to cloud computing will start negating the need for high end console hardware. The corporate world has mostly accepted it, consumer world will follow.

Microsoft was actually in the right track with the original Xbox one, and shouldn't have caved to the kneejerk backlash

Highlander likes this.
  17. White_Rabbit

I mean, it would suck for me (although I won't probably be living where I'm at a few years from now) but I get it from everyone else's perspective. Maybe they could do something that would allow for people to attach an external HD and download the games (my god that would take forever) but at least once you have it you're good.

I hate to choose a living location based on the freaking available internet, but if people are into games/movies/streaming I'd avoid living in the sticks. Suburbia ftw!

18. goalline

goalline Club Member Club Member

Our longtime family Wii may be done. Any opinions on Switch? Considering jumping to Xbox since the old wii games won't carry forward.

19. Jalapeno

Was looking at 4K TVs and noticed how many of them have 120hz refresh rates. If videogame consoles were to take advantage of that, it doesn’t appear that the graphical hardware is quite there yet in affordable form. CES 2018 could provide hints if Nvidia’s gpus use the new GDDR6 chipsets that has more bandwidth.teraflop performance is around the XBX’s teraflop performance. Ditto for AMD especially since their stuff are in the XB and PS4.

The recent announcements of companies such as Samsung mass producing GDDR6 chipsets next year probably means we might hear officially about the PS5 & next XB at some point next year if not 2019. 2019 or 2020 sounds about right for next gen consoles.

20. Jalapeno

Read that they will put in a first person perspective in FFXV on the PC...reminds me of Grand Theft Auto V being in the third person on the PS3 & 360 and then getting FPS in the PS4/XB1/PC version. I think the PS4/XB1 would be capable of that as well.

21. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

doesn't fix the gameplay and story issues. Fancy new sticker on a piece of ****.

22. buffedup

I was the most hardcore FF fan back in the SNES days through FFX. After 10, they just got worse. Never picked up XV and have no desire to.

TDforTD likes this.
  23. TDforTD

TDforTD Club Member Club Member

I’ve heard that FF13 is awesome once you get through a super long tutorial. That super long tutorial nearly ruins the game, but if you can get through it, it’s worth it.

24. AeroBuff99

AeroBuff99 Club Member Club Member

I had the original Final Fantasy on the NES, bought the strategy guide so I would have the maps. Stayed up way to late playing the game way to many times. Was my favorite game. Previous favorite was Kangaroo on Atari 2600, that was awesome, especially on my 13" B&W TV that I had.

buffedup likes this.
  25. Jalapeno

Really loved X the most due to its setting & battle system and haven't gone after any FF game after that. From the videos, it seems like XV plays more like its MMORPG cousins as being more action rpg than turn based. Still waiting on that VII remake which should be similar to XV. That remake will literally print money for Square Enix. Playstation Exprience aka PSX is happening next month and we just passed the 20th annivesary of VII's release...something should be announced sooner than later. I have seen that this could end up on all three major consoles plus the PC as well. *fingers crossed*

Given that FF XV is pretty much done plus Kingdom Hearts III has a 2018 release, SE will be focusing on getting FF7R out the door at some point...that company is really going to hit bank big time next year.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  26. Jalapeno

Guess you can't play a XBX on a CRT TV

27. buffedup

Nah. It sucked. Didn't make a damn bit of sense and just didn't draw me in. I went almost all the way through the game and then quit near the end. Just didn't care.

28. Highlander

I have the original XBone and the fall OS update has definitely slowed down its navigation. Really weird to see that.

29. MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs Wᴉɐɯᴉ qnɟɟs Club Member

WiiU has free online play. Splatoon is a lot of fun.

As for the XBox I dont like all the constant need to pay and put my credit card in for gold, etc. Cant use a gift card I have for gold. Boo.
    The font is fricking tiny and and the menus are complicated and hard to navigate.
    You cant use a bluetooth keyboard. If you can I couldnt find it in the menus.
    You have to have profiles to play. Which means you have to set one up for each kid. And oh by the way dont forget the passwords. You cant change the email associated with the profile if you do lose the password.

I'd look harder at a PS4 if I had to do it over again.

goalline likes this.
  30. Jalapeno

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.