Xbox One vs. Playstation 4

Discussion in 'Games' started by Daaah, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

Oh ya. XBox is still very good at playing games. Xbox Live is still the best gaming connectivity system out there IMO. They have fixed a lot of the "focus" issues with their UI updates since launch.

TSchekler likes this.
  2. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

Microsoft envisioned the X1 being the central home entertainment unit. They built it to act as a cable box, streaming device with apps, and of course games. They had a very forward thinking digital rights and distribution model (ala Steam on PCs). The made the Kinect mandatory with purchase I believe, and everyone threw a fit (hilarious to me, considering the success of Alexa devices. MS was way ahead of the times on that one, and they bungled it).

Compounding the problems was that the fact that the guts of the machine were weaker than the PS4, and Microsoft clearly had focused away from games, instead showing media capabilities, social features, and home automation type stuff.

Gamers hated it and the PS4 cleaned up with a focus purely on games. Subsequently Microsoft has basically deprecated the Kinect, downplayed the media features, and released a new console (Xbox 1 X) that is the most powerful on the market. But the damage is done, and the X1 doesn't have many defining characteristics.

This is compounded because the good first party studios they have been mostly abandoned. Lionhead (Fable series), for example, has been shuttered. Now, Microsoft has reinvested in 1st party studios starting last November - but that is a multi-year proposition to get going again. Interestingly enough, they now have more 1st party studios than Sony or Nintendo.

So, MS is pivoting back to games, but also trying to sync games between PC and Xbox.... which I think is a good thing. So you can get a game on Xbox and play it on your PC and vice versa.

But, they've clearly lost this gen.... they should focus on some major MMO's and new IP's to win people back.

buffedup and TSchekler like this.
  3. Jens1893

Jens1893 Moderator Club Member Junta Member

It doesn't make a difference. Pick what your friends have so you can play with them.

TSchekler likes this.
  4. WarBuff

WarBuff Club Member Club Member

Plus they downgraded the pistol capabilities in Halo 2. BIG mistake!

TSchekler likes this.
  5. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

Well put.
    As a microcosm of X1 vs PS4, I bought both at launch. I eventually traded my X1 because it was collecting dust and have since upgraded to a PS4 Pro. The main reason being the games. I love Sony's exclusives.

6. Jens1893

Jens1893 Moderator Club Member Junta Member

TSchekler likes this.
  7. Jalapeno

Jalapeno Doom Slayer Club Member

I would think so. You can buy EA Access for $30 a year and then XBox Game Pass for $60 for six months. For $150 a year alone, you would be able to play almost 60 EA games including 5 older Madden games (25 to 18) and at least 100 XBox games via Game Pass.

The XB1 would be my choice over the PS4 if I had to decide on a console today.

XB1 controller would be better for FPS games such as Call of Duty but the Dualshock 4 is no slouch either. You can go to a GameStop or something like that and try out the gamepads.

8. Jalapeno

9. Matt

Matt Club Member Club Member

Microsoft is rocking the hardware side of it. Now they need to get first party studios going again. If they do that they will have a very dominate system.

TDforTD likes this.
  10. Jalapeno

If Microsoft was to do the hardware and OS side of things while Sony did the rest, that would be one heck of a machine.

Shldr2Shldr likes this.
  11. Jalapeno

12. Jalapeno

13. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

MGS 5 is such an incredible game with such a disappointing second half

14. Jalapeno

15. Highlander

Highlander There can be only one Club Member

This about sums it up for this generation of consoles.

TDforTD and WarBuff like this.
  16. TDforTD

TDforTD Club Member Club Member

Hearing GREAT things about this game. Sounds like a ton of fun to play with a friend or two. @Highlander looks a lot like Diavlo.(y)

Highlander likes this.
  17. Highlander

I love couch co-op! It lets me play with each daughter by themselves, them as sisters, and each of them with friends. I have not encouraged online gaming for them for reasons I am sure you can figure it out. If a friend wants them to do it, I won’t stand in the way, but let nature take its course.
    PS - Divinity 1 was solid. This looks great. Thanks!

TDforTD likes this.
  18. Jalapeno

I'm thinking the XB1 is going to get a heavy discount for this year's Black Friday....maybe $150 for the 1TB version. I'm not sure about the PS4 and I'd be shocked if the Switch gets a hardware discount.

19. Jalapeno

20. Matt

Matt Club Member Club Member

21. Jalapeno

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ps...whole-gaming-division-revenue-for-2018.97022/

Nintendo & XBox reported good 2018 4Q results but PlayStation made a little more money than Nintendo & Xbox when it came to digital purchases such as multiplayer subs and digital sales of games. That's amazing even if PSP, Vita, and PS3 games are still being sold digitally to this day. Still very impressive performance by the PlayStation brand.

And BTW, after five years of resisting the urge to purchase either the PS4 or XB1, I ordered my PS4 Pro today and it'll arrive next Wednesday. PlayStation Now and the ability to stream my PS4 games where I go played a factor in all of this plus I'm planning on doing PlayStation VR and I think Sony could come out on top in the VR wars. I might get PS VR during Black Friday of this year.

Does that mean my pro-PC gaming talk was in vain? Nope! I love having options and sharing whatever stuff I find out. I don't think the China-US trade war is going to end anytime soon and it's only a matter of time before PC parts become more pricey. The time when I started was a very good time to build a gaming PC at the time for dirt cheap. Buying a current console would most likely help me out until the trade war is over.

And to add what Matt posted, it'll take at least a few more years before the Xbox has a stronger first party library. I'm pumped for Crackdown 3 and Battletoads this year plus Gears of War 5 should be out this year but after that, I'm like what's there for the Xbox this year and next year?

22. Jalapeno

Detroit: Become Human is now $19.99 and Spider-Man is now $39.99. I'm probably getting Spider-Man as soon as next week since I'm on a superhero binge right now...bought both Marvel vs Capcom games for the PS4 (UMvC 3 and MvC:I).

23. Jalapeno

24. Jalapeno

Borderlands 3 anyone?

25. Jalapeno

26. Jalapeno

If you missed the State of Play, don't feel too badly because it was garbage...waste of my 20 minutes.

27. Highlander

Sort of like Apple's big news conference yesterday?

28. Jalapeno

I can't comment on that since I didn't see that presentation. Judging by what I read on The Verge, I don't think I missed anything worthwhile. The Apple Arcade thing seems promising but I'll have to see what the games are going to be like...same thing for Google Stadia. If Apple said that they had solved the ongoing problem with limited battery capacity and we would never have to charge our iDevices again, that would be newsworthy.

The State of Play did focus quite a bit on PS VR related games and I think there are only four to five million PS VR units out there while there is nearly 100 million PS4 units sold at this point...they might have as well titled it "State of PS VR". Days Gone did get a release date and MK11 stated that the fighters' past selves can fight against their future selves. The reason why I said garbage is that they didn't have release dates for Ghosts of Tushima and TLOU2. I'm thinking it was a practice run for a much better E3 State of Play presentation. That wasn't quite the first impression that people in general would think they would get out of Sony in this case.

29. Jalapeno

30. Jalapeno

About time!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.