What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

"You achieve what you emphasize"

sackman

Hates the Counting Crows.
Club Member
Anybody know who said that? Bill McCartney. It occurred to me that the CU athletic department is placing a lot of emphasis on the basketball program lately. I have to believe that any success that the basketball program enjoys will ultimately be at the expense of the football program.

Well it sounded like the AD wanted to go in a different direction with the football program last November, but was over ruled from above. :huh:

I have to say, I would be much happier for CU to be a basketball school, Football bores me, and I could care less to hear about it all the time

I have to say, I would be much happier for CU to be a basketball school, Football bores me, and I could care less to hear about it all the time

That's a totally normal sentiment for a CU fan.

Colorado is a football state and will probably always be a football state. Period. But, it is kinda dumb to think they are sacraficing football for basketball....that isn't smart business when football will always be the number 1 money maker for the athletics program. They just don't have the available funds to buy out a bad contract right now. Hawkins will either achieve in 2010 or be gone.

Colorado is a football state and will probably always be a football state. Period. But, it is kinda dumb to think they are sacraficing football for basketball....that isn't smart business when football will always be the number 1 money maker for the athletics program. They just don't have the available funds to buy out a bad contract right now. Hawkins will either achieve in 2010 or be gone.

I don't think it's a conscious decision to sacrifice one for the other. It could be that Bohn feels that the basketball program has been neglected for a long time and is in need of some attention. And that would be a correct assumption. In reality, the basketball program has been neglected for a long time. But, as I said, you achieve what you emphasize. The emphasis is clearly not with the football program right now.

I don't think it's a conscious decision to sacrifice one for the other. It could be that Bohn feels that the basketball program has been neglected for a long time and is in need of some attention. And that would be a correct assumption. In reality, the basketball program has been neglected for a long time. But, as I said, you achieve what you emphasize. The emphasis is clearly not with the football program right now.

kinda hard to emphasize a football program with a POS coach that you wanted to dump...might as well put it on the back burner for 2010

I would say that the football program is suffering through a bad hire right now....they went with the hot name when they hired and it bit them in the butt.

I have to say, I would be very happy for CU to be a basketball school. Football is awesome and I want them to succeed, but I love basketball as well and they seem to have a lot more to look forward to right now.

Fixed for how I feel.

Fixed for how I feel.

Not bad, Its not so much that I dont like football, I root for the Buffs on Saturday durring the Fall, but im just tired of every basketball converstion turning into talking about Football, and Hawkins (who I agree needs to be fired)

Not bad, Its not so much that I dont like football, I root for the Buffs on Saturday durring the Fall, but im just tired of every basketball converstion turning into talking about Football, and Hawkins (who I agree needs to be fired)

You'll get no argument from me there.

One thing interesting that I noticed as a change this winter is that, for the first time, I started seeing football threads that referenced basketball and how there was better recruiting, more of a commitment to winning, and more of a no-nonsense approach from the staff that the football program should emulate.

It's a chicken/egg syndrome. CU fans are disproportionately into football because of our historical "emphasis" and success. Just take a look at the AllBuffs post history, and its something like 95% football and 5% basketball. Many other schools are much more balanced, some even near 50/50. But we've had so little to get excited for in hoops, that I don't blame ourselves.

i'd like to think as someone who has followed CU hoops since the early 80's that someone in the AD realized that an immediate return on a moderate (compared to almost nil in the past) investment in hoops could produce success on the court.....which would do nothing but help buoy an unsteady AD in light of financial times and lackluster football performance with consequent diminishing fan support. It's one thing to lose a Dan Hawkins fan, another to lose a "CU" fan. If the basketball team can produce, you maintain an interest level of some kind. Additionally, men's hoops has long been a sleeper in the revenue department. put a winner on the floor, and the revenue follows. maybe someone decided a little supply-side economics was in order.

Ill be honest, I want to see the basketball program do well. However, I became a CU fan because of Buff football. I wouldnt mind more emphasis on basketball but CU is recognized, not lately, as one of the better programs in the country. Ill cheer just as hard either way I suppose but Im a football guy so kinda hard to stomach.

i'd like to think as someone who has followed CU hoops since the early 80's that someone in the AD realized that an immediate return on a moderate (compared to almost nil in the past) investment in hoops could produce success on the court.....which would do nothing but help buoy an unsteady AD in light of financial times and lackluster football performance with consequent diminishing fan support. It's one thing to lose a Dan Hawkins fan, another to lose a "CU" fan. If the basketball team can produce, you maintain an interest level of some kind. Additionally, men's hoops has long been a sleeper in the revenue department. put a winner on the floor, and the revenue follows. maybe someone decided a little supply-side economics was in order.

Exactly. This is why we saw some great crowds at some of the [basketball] games this year. The Keg was an exciting place to be for some of those games. I had that chill that I haven't gotten at a football game in a couple of years.

Exactly. This is why we saw some great crowds at some of the [basketball] games this year. The Keg was an exciting place to be for some of those games. I had that chill that I haven't gotten at a football game in a couple of years.
like that chill in the last minute of the ku game? man that was ****ing intense.

Back