What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

You can be a PAC 12 football referee

If I find a typo in the description, does that help my chances??

"APPLICATIONS WITHOUT PREVIOUS OFFICIAL GAME ASSIGNMENTS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED
PLEASE INCLUDE NON-OFFICIATING WORK HISTORY, OFFICIATING ASSIGNMENTS AND PROFESSIONAL / OFFICIAITNG REFERENCES WITH YOUR UPLOADED RESUME"

PAC-12 refs can't even get their job description right!!

I wouldn't even try to hide it. I'd be calling sideline violations and booting opposing coaches when they complained. That kind of ****. I would be so bad at this job. :ROFLMAO:
You'd probably be better than I would. First time a receiver threw his hands up wanting a flag, I'd give him one warning. If he kept popping off after that, I'd throw my flag and go to the other officials, throw their flags too. Hopefully, they'd get the point by then :LOL:.

I ran across this article today: https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/2...-12-football-officiating-raises-eyebrows.html Even the leader in the PAC questions their competency. That says something. It is a league wide embarrassment.

I read all the rants about the USC game-- agree it was awful, but still something CU could have overcome. Watching the last 2 home games in person and a bunch of PAC-12 in 60 telecasts from the conference, I am convinced that the PAC-12 has the worst officials in college football bar none. They should fire all of them, and hire crews from the WAC and MTN West. It seems every PAC-12 game is a yellow flag fest... There are glaring non-calls, and phantom calls from refs nowhere near the play. It seems you can or cannot have a holding call on practically every play, it just depends on a whim of how they decide to call or not call something. Pass interference applies for non-catchable balls. False starts and motion penalties are everywhere...

Overall,
1. I think the officiating is bad for every team, in every game;
2. There is no consistency what-so-ever; and
3. The Zebras want to take center stage, rather than letting the players decide things on the field.

As a rule, I do not like to whine about officiating, however the one thing that is required is a good level consistency and communication. Tell the coaches before the game what they are looking for and let the outcome be mostly decided on the field. When I mean consistency, I am not referring to "consistently bad," which these PAC-12 Zebras are. Larry Scott needs to get to work fast.

I ran across this article today: https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/2...-12-football-officiating-raises-eyebrows.html Even the leader in the PAC questions their competency. That says something. It is a league wide embarrassment.

I read all the rants about the USC game-- agree it was awful, but still something CU could have overcome. Watching the last 2 home games in person and a bunch of PAC-12 in 60 telecasts from the conference, I am convinced that the PAC-12 has the worst officials in college football bar none. They should fire all of them, and hire crews from the WAC and MTN West. It seems every PAC-12 game is a yellow flag fest... There are glaring non-calls, and phantom calls from refs nowhere near the play. It seems you can or cannot have a holding call on practically every play, it just depends on a whim of how they decide to call or not call something. Pass interference applies for non-catchable balls. False starts and motion penalties are everywhere...

Overall,
1. I think the officiating is bad for every team, in every game;
2. There is no consistency what-so-ever; and
3. The Zebras want to take center stage, rather than letting the players decide things on the field.

As a rule, I do not like to whine about officiating, however the one thing that is required is a good level consistency and communication. Tell the coaches before the game what they are looking for and let the outcome be mostly decided on the field. When I mean consistency, I am not referring to "consistently bad," which these PAC-12 Zebras are. Larry Scott needs to get to work fast.

I too have watched the last 2 in person and they were both awful. I normally don’t talk about the refs but it was constant flags all game long. I don’t remember feeling this way when the Buffs were in the BIG 12. I don’t see this in other conferences games, they’re just angels I guess? The missed calls against USC were egregious and really pissed me off.

I too have watched the last 2 in person and they were both awful. I normally don’t talk about the refs but it was constant flags all game long. I don’t see this in other conferences games, they’re just angels I guess? The missed calls against USC were egregious and really pissed me off.

I mentioned that to a fan visiting from out-of-state. He was like are there this many flags (talking about both teams) in every game? I said no, in non-conference play there were not nearly the quantity--a PAC-12 thing. CU has had problems, but most conference games seem to have 20+ flags each game from both teams. I am still p****d about the non-call for holding v UoA on a key 3rd down. CU's defender beat his man and within strides of Tate, but the OT had both jersey and shoulder pad and Tate threw the 1st down pass.

It may honestly we worse in basketball. Especially when you compare how a Pac12 game is officiated to the Big Ten. Why I think it is worse in basketball is teams basically get points off of bad calls. And calling the number of fouls they do creates close games, with no up and down moments and star players in foul trouble. Leads to upsets that shouldn't happen creating the "Pac 12 is down" narrative

I wouldn't even try to hide it. I'd be calling sideline violations and booting opposing coaches when they complained. That kind of ****. I would be so bad at this job. :ROFLMAO:

speaking of that, USC should have been warned or flagged many times. Their coaches were on the field on damn near every snap.

If I find a typo in the description, does that help my chances??

"APPLICATIONS WITHOUT PREVIOUS OFFICIAL GAME ASSIGNMENTS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED
PLEASE INCLUDE NON-OFFICIATING WORK HISTORY, OFFICIATING ASSIGNMENTS AND PROFESSIONAL / OFFICIAITNG REFERENCES WITH YOUR UPLOADED RESUME"

PAC-12 refs can't even get their job description right!!

THERE is that attention to detail we've grown accustomed to in the PAC 12 Conference.

It may honestly we worse in basketball. Especially when you compare how a Pac12 game is officiated to the Big Ten. Why I think it is worse in basketball is teams basically get points off of bad calls. And calling the number of fouls they do creates close games, with no up and down moments and star players in foul trouble. Leads to upsets that shouldn't happen creating the "Pac 12 is down" narrative

I don't watch too much PAC12 hoops outside of CU, but I agree. For the PAC-12 as a whole, it sort of reminds me of NBA officiating... Let the stars get theirs... For the SC football game, Slovis incidentally hit by Landman, huge yellow--15 yards. Slovis is probably SC's season, so he is a star. On the other hand, Montez body slammed way after the play, the refs look at each other "who's on first..." "Oh, I forgot what pocket my flag was in....sorry." "My glasses were fogged up..." "This altitude is just killing me, so it's too much for me to run down the field and be in position to make the call...."

For football, the flag fest slows the game and dumb's it down. As a fan, the product is harder to watch. You watch an SEC game, it is about the plays and letting the big boy's play. I'm sure an SEC crew could call false starts (you have real good DL in SEC so every second counts), holding, and whatever else on about every 3rd play, but they actually let the kids play. The game is won on the field.

Chris Steele's (last minute switch from SC to Florida as DB) comment-- "I don't think the PAC would welcome my physical play," says a lot. The endless flags hurt the product.

I'm a patched high school official in CO, and I've got aspirations to make that level. I actually think our officials in basketball are better than in football. We've got guys who don't know what they're doing (See Harris, Verne and McCall, Randy. Sadly they both live in Denver so we get them a ton), but I also think we've got some pretty good referees out here. David Hall's (might be biased because he's one of my assignors lol) a pretty good referee for one, and we see John Higgins (the best in the sport-if he's doing a game on TV I'll sit and watch him.) a couple times a year out here.

I'm a patched high school official in CO, and I've got aspirations to make that level. I actually think our officials in basketball are better than in football. We've got guys who don't know what they're doing (See Harris, Verne and McCall, Randy. Sadly they both live in Denver so we get them a ton), but I also think we've got some pretty good referees out here. David Hall's (might be biased because he's one of my assignors lol) a pretty good referee for one, and we see John Higgins (the best in the sport-if he's doing a game on TV I'll sit and watch him.) a couple times a year out here.

That's cool that you are a HS ref. It is always good to hear some perspective from the inside. Being a Ref is a tough job, so props. I think Irv Brown was Colorado's best all-time ref...

Maybe Larry Scott watches the AllBuffs board, Lol.... Even he agrees the PAC-12 officiating stinks. But CU only had 5 penalties, too bad one of them was a false start on 3&2, or was it 2nd & 1 at a key moment in the game. The SC/Oregon game was a flag-fest. Many of them were pretty blatant. The Roughing the Passer tagged against Landman, could have been called on almost every passing down in that game!!

What about the furd kid stomping on Fontenot? Mugging Onu on the OPI? Oh, wait until the number on the ticket is called?

Back