What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

You don't need DTV for redzone this Football season (for real!)

Bump - Amazon delivered mine today. And.... I'm not opening it until someone verifies the Sunday Ticket thing. 2 of 3 current reviews on amazon say it works, the third one says it doesn't. (Although it sort of looks like the third guy is a moron who thinks he gets it on his DTV subscription for free, not on computer/tablet/phone for free.)

So anyone on here receive it and verify it? God knows why, but I trust random allbuff posters more than random amazon reviewers...

Are you guys talking about Chromecast or the subscription? 'Cause if you are talking about Chromecast, it is awesome, but only for the apps that specifically support it, right now just youtube and netflix (and google music). Don't count on it for streaming video from the chrome browser, it kind of works but you'll end up being disappointed trying to watch a sporting event, at least right now. Its too choppy or at least inconsistent. You've got to go the wired route still.

fwiw I emailed pac12 network and they sort of indicated they were thinking of supporting chromecast someday, which would be great.

madden hath arrived. I will set everything up tonight, even though there will be no games to use it on. :nod:

Anniversary Edition of Madden 25 arrived today, and coincidentally so did my Google Chromecast. I tested the code and it appears to work, allowed me to login from my PC, though obviously no games are available. I have Comcast, so just followed the instructions for if you don't have DirecTV. I haven't tested it on my tablet yet. Basically has a 'username' that looks like an email address and a password, so you don't seem to even sign up for an account or anything, just login in to a pre-set account that they gave you the details for. Kind of interesting solution actually since it seems like a bit of a hack, I'm curious if the codes can be re-used...my guess is they can only stream to one device at a time or there would be crazy potential for abuse.

No report on how well the Chromecast solution is going to work for streaming yet. It's a cool idea for a device but definitely a work in progress. I was only able to set it up and use with my iPad since my laptop is still XP based, and I use a wired connection for my desktop. I neglected to discover that setup ONLY works if you have a WiFi connected PC (e.g. you can't connect to your PC through your router), and the Chrome browser streaming isn't supported for mobile yet, at least not for iOS devices, I'm not sure about Android based phones or tablets. The YouTube streaming with it seems to work fine with iOS app and is actually better than AirPlay since once you tee up a video you can keep browsing on your tablet. Netflix is a little spotty, since it seemed to "lose" the Chromecast if you switched to another task while streaming a Netflix feed. The video would keep playing, but you couldn't control it when you switched back into Netflix. Netflix seems a lot easier just using my Xbox or AppleTV, but I mostly got this thing for browser streaming anyway. If you don't want it for browser streaming then you're probably a lot better off with an AppleTV or Roku until they add more content partners, particularly since they just shut down some of the apps that had cropped up that allowed you to stream local video feeds off your PC or other device.

I'm going to pick up a USB based WiFi dongle and try streaming some videos through the browser and we'll see how it goes. Supposedly Chromecast has had some issues with the video quality for that (which is unfortunate since that's primarily why I bought it). it may just be simpler to buy an HDMI out adapter for the iPad and stream the feed directly to the TV that way.

Chrome browser streaming isn't supported for mobile yet, at least not for iOS devices, I'm not sure about Android based phones or tablets.

Chromecast works in two modes: for supported apps like youtube and netflix, the stream is going directly to the chromecast device, not to your tablet/phone/laptop. So it is killer performance, and your tablet/phone/laptop is like a remote control, but better because you can still use it for other things as you mentioned.

for browser streaming, it is actually going first to your laptop, being processed, then from your laptop to the chromecast. I don't think it will do browser streaming from a phone or tablet for a long time.

Chromecast works in two modes: for supported apps like youtube and netflix, the stream is going directly to the chromecast device, not to your tablet/phone/laptop. So it is killer performance, and your tablet/phone/laptop is like a remote control, but better because you can still use it for other things as you mentioned.

for browser streaming, it is actually going first to your laptop, being processed, then from your laptop to the chromecast. I don't think it will do browser streaming from a phone or tablet for a long time.

I dunno, AirPlay does this now from my iPad to my AppleTV, is it really all that different? Granted unless its a YouTube video the screen resolution on the TV is not upscaled to display size, so you have bars.

If you don't want to deal with Apple TV using Airplay and you can connect your PC to your TV, try Reflector: http://www.airsquirrels.com/reflector/

We used to use Apple TV for conference room app emos, now we just use this software, and it's only $13. Connects over WiFi.

Last edited:
No sense buying these at the store for $30+ dollars. Amazon has them for dirt cheap and I've never had any issues.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=hdmi+cable

I bought this one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0090Y6II0/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It looks like it's out of stock.

Tried it yesterday and it works. Will have to wait until a live game stream to see if the Sunday Ticket app allows using the cable. I wasn't allowed to use HDMI output to watch an episode of Game Of Thrones I bought on ITunes. I got some lame message about not being authorized. ****ers.

Back