What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Your preseason grade of the CU position groups

This is a quote from Adam's Q&A with Leavitt on Rivals. Improving to top 75 in year one might be a reach.

"When we took over the defense at Kansas State, when Bob Stoops and I went in there under Bill Snyder, we were 107th in the country defensively. The next year we were 96th, then we were 58th, then we were 26th, then we were fifth, then we were first. It just doesn't happen overnight."
https://colorado.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1790490&PT=4&PR=2

If you're in the Pac-12, you don't have to be statistically one of the Top 75 defenses on yards or points to be a Top 75 defense in actuality. At least last season. This year, I think the Pac-12 defenses will have a relatively good year against the Pac-12 offenses.

TOTAL TEAM GRADE = B (Phil Steel said 46 so he says a B grade who am I to argue with him)
Jf4FBs6JZhvKU.gif

QB = B+
RB = B-
FB = A, Big George Frazier
TE = C
WR = A-
OL = B+
Offense = B+ with Lindgren's coaching included, B without

NT = C
DT = C
OLB = C
ILB = B+
CB/NB = B+
S = A-
Defense =

K = Incomplete
P = Incomplete
LS = A
PR = B-
KR = B
Special Teams = Incomplete

TOTAL TEAM GRADE = B, Phil Steele logic

I don't agree. We really have some issues with talent.
#1, we haven't seen a single explosive pass rusher in years. That guy hasn't existed on our roster. You don't fix that with coaching or scheme. DE position (along with freaky playmakers at WR and corner) require genetics. You need QB pressure first and foremost. Coaching won't fix that.
On the one hand I sort of agree. On the other hand, you can win a lot of football games with average talent by playing good, mistake free football.

I'm just not sure you can do it in the Pac-12 South.

A = Top 25
B = Top 50
C = Top 75
F = 76-128

Your grade should be on the entire position group in the 2-deep, but give weight to the starters and whether you think they'll impact games.

I'm much better at understanding the past trends then predicting the future. Given what CU has been the past few years, with the heaviest emphasis on last season, and what the Pac-12 return this year I will not be able to practice across the board grade inflation in the preseason.

QB = B. Liufau threw too much last season and didn't perform well when the team needed him the most. Backups are non-P5 talent until proven otherwise.
RB = C. Should be higher, but these RB's need to be tougher and play hurt. No "go to" guys in the bunch.
FB = A. Frazier is a top 25 FB all by himself without even contemplating the 2nd string.
TE = F. Does CU even utilize a TE in this offense?
WR = B. Spruce is the goose. Fields needs to develop a lot over last season, he has the talent to do it. Too many JAGs behind these two. Any of six or so guys behind Spruce and Fields can mix-and-match, play-or-sit and probably won't make much of a difference on offense.
OL = C. The running game was better last year, but mediocre by other school standards. The middle three spots are unproven to ranked above the top 75 at this time. Lack of depth at OT hurts.
Offense = B. Not seeing much improvement over last season here.

NT = F. Going from Tupou/Solis to Solis/Lopez is devastating. Solis is a decent 2nd string player, but behind him is flat scary.
DT = F. Until/unless Kofavalu and Carroll prove to be better than 75th, they start at this level. Neither has shown any top 75 play at CU yet.
OLB = F. A who's who of "who?"
ILB = C. This would also be an "F" if Gillam hadn't played so well two seasons ago. Having one P5 legit player out of four (1st & 2nd string) is not enough.
CB/NB = B. I'm giving the guys the benefit of the doubt here. After Crawley and Awuzie the quality is unknown.
S = C. More benefit of the doubt here. Thompson had his brain badly hurt, hopefully he comes back at full throttle but I'm nervous he won't. The second spot is going to be filled by somebody that probably wouldn't play for any other Pac-12 team.
Defense = F. Love the Leavitt hire. But until they actually stop some Pac-12 teams any grade higher than an "F" is not honest.

K = F.
P = F.
LS = B.
PR = F.
KR = C.
Special Teams = F. The fact that Neinas is still on staff is enough to question if MacIntyre's ability to put a P5 staff together and pull CU into the top 10 in the Pac-12. There are some weak links in the staff, but Neinas is the poster boy.

TOTAL TEAM GRADE = C. Another big leap of faith here. They have been an "F" for a full decade so to rate them a "C" now is enough for anybody to question my sanity.

A lot of this is tough to guess on this early. Kind of why I posted it -- so we could look back and see how well we guessed.

So far, it seem like the consensus is that our defensive front won't make much noise, our LBs are all about what kind of season Gillam has, and our TE will not be much of a weapon in the offense. Also, that we've got a strong passing game, a secondary that could make some noise if they could get a little pass rush to help them out, and that the OL is improved.

Back