What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Zone Defense Discussion

Colobuffs21

Club Member
Club Member
Mattrob brought up an excellent point about zone defense over in XJ's thread. What is everyone's thoughts on experimenting with some 2-3 zone? I know that Tad loves a tough man defense and he is an expert when it comes to help defense and hedging with the big man, but I think a zone could really benefit us depending on the matchups. I think a zone would also be ideal considering we are starting to recruit long and tall guards; imagine their hands in the passing lanes. Whats everyone's thoughts?

I don't have enough basketball knowledge to fully understand our roster and how it fits, but from what I can tell we are trying to build a more athletic team than anyone else Pac:12. I know that is kinda silly to say, but our roster next year should be Dinwiddie, XJ, Dre, Scott and maybe ski at point. I think that Boyle is banking on the fact that the majority of teams that we play against the offensive player our guys is defending is less athletic and hypothetically easier to guard.

I think he might be recruiting guys and saying we are going to run up and down the floor and you are going to have your best chance to impress NBA scouts on both ends of the floor.

Well, I already shared my thoughts in the other thread, but I'll expand a little here. Boyle does not like using the zone defense, and I don't expect us to see it next year. That said, I'd like to see us mix it in, if only occasionally. We've seen it a number of times this year, including the OSU game, where teams change up the defense, and break our offensive rhythm. I'd like to see us do the same, especially when teams get in an offensive zone like we've seen the last couple of games. With the length of some of the wings we're recruiting, they could really disrupt the passing lanes (as you mention above) and effect a lot of shots in the middle of that zone. Finally, if you've got a 6'5" Dinwiddie and 6'7" XJ at the top of the zone, it makes it that much tougher for the guards to shoot over the top.

As much as I and many others would like to see Tad run the zone D I just don't see it happening, I think we saw it in 1 game this year in the second half. He has stated that if CU runs Zone D something has gone drastically wrong and nothing else is working. Luckily next year I think CU is going to have the most athletic team in memory and hopefully the zone won't be needed as much as it could have been helpful this year.

The zone defense is fascinating to me. It would work great if guys aren't great at hitting shots over the top but look at what Oregon State and Stanford did to us. They beat us on the three point line. The zone would be unlikely to help this problem.

However, in some of our other games I can see it being useful. As Mattrob mentioned, it screws with teams who have an offensive rhythm going. I also like the communication aspect the zone builds. With versatile guys like XJ, Andre, and Spencer the zone could really support our help defense.

I personally would like to see more trapping and ball pressure. If we were to use our guard all the way down the court to pressure the ball, even if it causes more fouls I think the turnovers could be beneficial.

We could have really benefited from playing more zone this year, IMO, but I admittedly am a bigger proponent of zone than you'll find among many basketball fans.

Zone defenses, in my own personal opinion, are good for small stretches to change up the tempo of the game or to get a team out of sync. I would not rely of them full time.

I hate zone. It kills defensive rebounding and dares teams to shoot.

I could get on board with a 1-3-1 trap to change tempo, but otherwise I want to see man defense.

:nod:

I'm a firm believer that for the most part, if you're playing zone, you're saying you're not good enough to match teams man for man (Syracuse is the exception that proves the rule, Boeheim has been playing his match up zone forever).

I don't know if anyone noticed because it was such an awful game in general Saturday, but we played zone about 4 possessions in the beginning of the 2nd half and I'm pretty sure OSU scored on all of them.

I could get on board with a 1-3-1 trap to change tempo, but otherwise I want to see man defense.

The trap is one of the most under utilized defensive schemes in basketball, I would really like to see that mixed in. While the zone dares teams to shoot that is the point, "make them shoot you out of the zone" is said for a reason and if you manage to get a team having a poor shooting night or if your zone is rotating properly and you are getting hands in guys faces the zone D can be an effective tool.

You couldn't be more right on the def rebounding, CU would have been an atrocious rebounding team this year if they ran a zone. Rebounding in a zone requires finding a man and boxing out, CU doesn't do that. As great as Dre is at rebounding, he hasn't boxed out in a CU uniform.

A zone would be good to use for those times when we're outmatched or outsized on the front line. The most effective zones are when the players are very active and keeping their arms up so it would have to be taught and practiced well.

RE rebounding in a zone: If Cuse has an achilles heel it's their rebounding. That and if Melo gets into foul trouble.

Back