What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU to hire SJSU´s Mike MacIntyre

I like this hire. MacIntyre was the recruiting coordinator at an SEC school, has turned around a down-and-out program, and has NFL experience. Plus, the fact that he coached DB's for 5 years in the NFL has got to be good for the development of YW, KC, and hopefully Sherrard.

Not exactly an inspiring pick. He's a defensive guy and SJSU gave up a lot of points. That concerns me. But they had some decent wins and played Stanford tough. We'll see.

Well, as I have said on the Board...I think he was the best choice that we could actually get to take the job.

Here's the way I look at it: regardless of whether this guy can lead us to the promised land or not (whatever the hell that might be) we are probably going to be better coached (in terms of Xs and Os) since any time after Barnett was fired. Hail Improvement!
:cheers:

(I certainly like the choice better than B.J. Bearcat!)

A couple of years from now, I think Cal is going to be kicking themselves for picking Dykes over Macintyre.

Get him here to talk to the players.

Look forward to hearing a facilities announcement here soon.

Not exactly an inspiring pick. He's a defensive guy and SJSU gave up a lot of points. That concerns me. But they had some decent wins and played Stanford tough. We'll see.

25th in scoring defense this season.

I like the hire. Now the question is staff? How much for the staff? Facilities?

Time to get to work HC MacIntyre

Here is a link to the SJSU staff listing (scroll down a ways...).

I notice his OC has only been there one year, and before that was at NAU for years. Seems like one spot where they might want to upgrade from outside his staff.....

For those wondering this year's schedule turned out like this

#21 Stanford L 17-20
UC Davis W 45-13
CSU W 40-20
@SDSU W 38-34
@Navy W 12-0
USU L 27-49
@UTSA W 52-24
Texas State W 31-20
@ Idaho W 42-12
@ NMSU 47-7
BYU 20-14
Louisiana Tech W 52-43

He did give up a lot of points to the lower level teams it appears but everything seemed to tighten up against the better teams on the schedule.

He has SJSU ranked #24 and playing in the Military Bowl against Bowling Green. Not a bad season for a formally bottom level WAC team.

Listening to Pete Roussel(coachingsearch.com) on Brando's show right now,saying to look for Mac to hire assistants with area/regional ties,says he learned from his Dad(former HC at Vandy 79'-85')who lost many assistants that took jobs closer to where theyre from....If he wants to be here I say Welcome Aboard Coach Mac!!!

This dude gets it!

Forman subsequently instituted an aggressive strength program, using a mantra he stole from motivational speaker Jim Rohn: "You can either choose the pain of discipline or the pain of regret."
MacIntrye, meanwhile, organized a plan to have he or one of his assistant coaches meet and personally shake the hand of every single high school football coach in California. MacIntyre also organized "traveling San Jose State camps" at high school fields in San Diego, Bakersfield, Los Angeles, Ontario and Sacramento. They were one-day clinics that cost $40 for players to attend -- but also served as evaluation sessions. The high school coaches were encouraged to send along any player they thought had college potential.
"California is like four states in one," MacIntyre said. "It was a way for us to spread the word about San Jose State. If we sign 20 players in a recruiting season, at least 17 or 20 of them have been at our camps."

When your loses are to Stanford and Utah State, you can't complain much. He did beat the likes of BYU, San Diego State, Navy and La Tech.

I like what he did turning around SJSU - very impressive. Would have been delighted with someone with that track record with more BCS experience, but it is what it is at this point. Still may be a better fit than BJ.

Money quote from BaYArea article:

The turnaround hasn't been by accident. It incorporates many factors. Most, however, have been an outgrowth of MacIntyre's master plan, the one he first outlined as a job candidate. MacIntyre was an assistant coach at Duke University when he interviewed with former San Jose State athletic director Tom Bowen in December of 2009.

Bowen, who now runs the athletic department at the University of Memphis, has vivid memories of those interviewing sessions. MacIntrye's enthusiastic personality was obvious. Bowen wanted to know what lay beneath. He liked what he found.
"He wasn't afraid," Bowen said by telephone this week. "He wasn't fearful about confronting the challenges."

The hiring seems very solid. Many expected us to go this route. But,not gonna lie. I am just as excited to see what he does with the pool of assistant salaries as the hiring of him.

This dude gets it!

Forman subsequently instituted an aggressive strength program, using a mantra he stole from motivational speaker Jim Rohn: "You can either choose the pain of discipline or the pain of regret."
MacIntrye, meanwhile, organized a plan to have he or one of his assistant coaches meet and personally shake the hand of every single high school football coach in California. MacIntyre also organized "traveling San Jose State camps" at high school fields in San Diego, Bakersfield, Los Angeles, Ontario and Sacramento. They were one-day clinics that cost $40 for players to attend -- but also served as evaluation sessions. The high school coaches were encouraged to send along any player they thought had college potential.
"California is like four states in one," MacIntyre said. "It was a way for us to spread the word about San Jose State. If we sign 20 players in a recruiting season, at least 17 or 20 of them have been at our camps."

A man with a plan!

I have made it no secret that I preferred DeRuyter and some of his coaching staff at Frenso State.

First thing to do is find a starting QB.

What kind of stuff does Mac run on offense and defense?

A few things that I hope to see are that his salary is good, but not stratospheric, but that he also has a great assistant pool. The facilities better be the same as was offered for BJ. I don't want the University getting cheap after missing on their first guy.

Great coach, good fit, lets get behind him. Welcome Coach Mac the new and improved (hopefully bionic) version

At least the search is over. I don't know much about McIntyre except what I have seen over the last couple of weks online. I haven't seen a SJSU game in my entore life. I do like what i read, but not the "big" hire that had been suggested.

This can't be right - I thought Bohn was busy playing tiddliwinks

Back