What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Game thread- (RV) WOMEN'S bball hosts #10/14 Arizona (Friday, 1/13/23, 7:00 PM MT; Pac 12 Network)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Women's basketball (13-3 overall, 4***-1 in conference play) only has one game this week***, but it should be a fun challenge as they face off against another ranked team, this time the (#14 in the media poll, #10 in the coaches') Arizona Wild Cats (14-2, 4-1) this Friday evening.

***As was already noted in other threads, Sunday's scheduled game against ASU has been cancelled today due to health issues within the Sun Devil program. (See more details at https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/1/11/...days-game-against-arizona-state-canceled.aspx .) This is already showing as a forfeit win for the Buffs, so they have gone from 3-1 to 4-1 in the conference standings without playing a game (although I'm sure they'd MUCH rather be playing ball on Sunday).

Note - In the latest NET rankings available (dated 1/10), the Buffs are at #23, while the Wild Cats are #26.

The game is scheduled to be shown on the Pac 12 Network.. (Further info and links for media options available near the bottom of this thread.)

Go Buffs!

(Preview(s) not available as I type this.)
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Links with more info on Arizona:
Roster
- https://arizonawildcats.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster?path=wbball
Stats - https://arizonawildcats.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats
Schedule - https://arizonawildcats.com/sports/womens-basketball/schedule/2022-23
Their preview article - Not available as I type this.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Media links:

Live video -
Game is scheduled to be shown on the Pac 12 National, Mountain and Arizona channels. For anyone with a subscription to any Pac 12 Network channel, I'm guessing the game will also be viewable on the Pac 12 App, or through a link at https://pac-12.com/womens-basketball/event/2023/01/13/arizona-colorado.

Live audio - In addition to being available on 630 AM in the Denver/ Boulder area (If like in prior years) and maybe other stations in the Buff radio network, looks like free audio streams for the game will be available at https://cubuffs.com/watch/?Live=2752&type=Live.

Link to link to Live stats - https://www.statbroadcast.com/events/statbroadcast.php?t=1&gid=colo

Game notes - https://cubuffs.com/documents/2023/1/10/17_Arizona.pdf

Doesn't really mean much of anything, but interesting to me that last Friday's big win over then #8 ranked Utah didn't do much of anything for the Buff's progress in getting ranked. After not getting any votes the week before, they only earned 3 votes in the coaches' poll this week (putting them in an unofficial tie for 37th in that ranking), and only 2 votes (good for 34th) in the AP/ media poll. Conversely, the loss didn't hurt previously undefeated Utah much, as they stayed at 8th in the coaches' poll and moved down only 2 places (to 10th) in the AP media poll.

Anyone without tickets who want to go to Friday's game, sounds like there's a nice deal going on, although based on the time of the below tweet, it could be gone SOON.

Doesn't really mean much of anything, but interesting to me that last Friday's big win over then #8 ranked Utah didn't do much of anything for the Buff's progress in getting ranked. After not getting any votes the week before, they only earned 3 votes in the coaches' poll this week (putting them in an unofficial tie for 37th in that ranking), and only 2 votes (good for 34th) in the AP/ media poll. Conversely, the loss didn't hurt previously undefeated Utah much, as they stayed at 8th in the coaches' poll and moved down only 2 places (to 10th) in the AP media poll.
I didn't think the Buffs would get ranked, but I thought Utah should drop more and that we should have received more votes.

Show them by beating Arizona. Defense wins!

Last edited:
During the men's game last night, the announcers said the game will be on the main Pac-12 Network.

When I checked Dish this morning, they have no game on the Mountain/Arizona channel but are listing ASU vs Utah on the main network. Since that game isn't being played, we got the slot.

Media after tonight's win over the ranked Wild Cats -

Article -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/1/13/womens-basketball-colorado-takes-down-no-14-arizona.aspx

"
BOULDER – The CU Event Center continues to haunt visiting opponents as the Colorado women's basketball team won its 11th consecutive game on the home court on Friday. The Buffaloes defeated its second top-15 team in as many games, handing No. 14/10 Arizona a 72-65 loss on its way out of Boulder.
"I'm so happy, so proud and so many different people stepped up in huge key moments," head coach JR Payne said after the win. "It wasn't just Frida's [Formann] 3 it was Tayanna's [Jones] rebound it was Quay's [Miller] box out and it was Jaylyn's [Sherrod] attack to draw the foul. So many different people came up big, and our composure was great. Or free throws were not so great down the stretch, but so much composure execution, defensive switching and a great team win. I'm very proud of our ballclub."

Colorado (14-3, 5-1 Pac-12) fresh off a 10-point win over then-No. 8 Utah, needed every bit of Friday's contest to win its second ranked game of the season. Frida Formann went 5-for-8 from the 3-point line and finished with a season-high 23 points.

Quay Miller and Arizona transfer Aaronette Vonleh also had big nights for the Buffs. Miller totaled all nine of her rebounds on the defensive glass and finished with 13 points. Vonleh set a career-high with her nine rebounds and went 6-for-8 from the field against her former team.

"Honestly, going into it, I didn't know what it would be like or what my emotions would be," Vonleh said about playing her old teammates. "Once we got started, it was just a regular game for me."

The Buffs led the contest for the majority of the night, holding the time with the advantage to just 1:46 of game time. CU got up by as many as 12 in the second quarter, but the Wildcats got back within two at halftime. UofA got back in the lead late in the fourth quarter but stumbled to the finish closing the night shooting 0-for-4.

Colorado won the battle on the glass with a decisive 48-29 advantage. Tayanna Jones joined Vonleh and Miller with nine boards, matching her season high. Arizona entered Friday shooting 37.7% from 3-point range but CU held tight on the perimeter, limiting the UofA to 26.3% (5-19).

"Our game plan is that we usually want to be disruptive," Payne explained. "We want to make people work for their points. We are very scout-specific. We try to make sure that our team knows which direction people like to attack. Do they shoot the 3 off the bounce? We're specific. Our team is very mature. they do a great job of knowing personnel and trying to play them that way."

Arizona (14-3, 4-2 Pac-12) had four players hit double figures. Cate Reese led the way for the Cats with 14 points and nine rebounds.

Key Moment
Colorado trailed 63-62 with 2:25 to play when Formann hit one of the biggest shots of the night. She drained her fifth 3 of the contest with 1:37 on the clock to put the Buffs in front 65-63. Arizona missed on a 3-pointer and Miller got to the rim for AND1 to complete a 6-0 run and give CU the 67-62 lead with 52 to seconds to play.

"My play was kind of broken, but Quay's was all set and we knew what we wanted," Formann noted. "As soon as I saw her come up I passed it to her. It's just those things we are executing down the stretch and it's really good for us."

Up Next
Colorado will have some unplanned rest on the schedule with Sunday's game against Arizona State being canceled. The Buffs will next be in action on Jan. 20, taking on California in Berkeley.
"

Box score -

Last edited:
Ok, I’m all in on CU women’s basketball. Shout out to JR Payne and what she’s done. I actually was looking forward to watching the game last night. This team is full of talent. And there seems to be a real team chemistry.

for those who know the team really well, any chance we could beat Stanford? Any chance we could win the pac 12 with this squad?

The program seems to have fully taken on Coach Payne's personality now as a culture. There's so much positive energy, joy and love for each other. They play really hard, but also with so many smiles and hugs for each other. I love it when a culture comes together.

for those who know the team really well, any chance we could beat Stanford? Any chance we could win the pac 12 with this squad?
Of course never say never, but we need to have some sort of huge 3 points shooting performance to have a chance to beat Stanford. They are really good and balanced.

for those who know the team really well, any chance we could beat Stanford?

CU has beat Stanford under JR and Coach Barry. We were never favored to do so. When we beat Stanford under JR, it was the first time the program had ever beaten a #1 ranked team. That was so much fun. CU beat defending national champion Stanford in the Elite Eight at Missoula Montana in 1993 under Coach Barry.

JR's team at Santa Clara beat Stanford at Stanford. That was in November 2015. Tara was not a happy camper.

It's why you play the game. Anything can happen and this team believes in itself.

I don't know where we will finish in the standings in the Pac, but, barring major injuries, it will not be as low as was predicted pre-season.

The loss at Utah in mid December seems to have really been a wake up call for this team. They really have been focused and confident since then starting with the Marquette win.

I attended the Marquette game. Marquette is a good 3 point shooting team.

CU looked like a different team than the one who played against Utah. They held Marquette to 4 points in the 1st quarter and Marquette had 12 points at the half. They were shooting 3's like crazy.

We beat them from the first second of that game. So far, they have kept playing with that intensity.

Before the game, the coaching staff told me the Marquette game was similar to Creighton and we know what happened in that game.

Zona had a tough weekend. 2 losses. Then Cal taking down Stanford in a low scoring game. That's how CU beat the Trees a couple of years ago. Have to stop them from getting points.

Those standings look sweet! There better be a number by our name by the end of the day.

Back