What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread- #25 WOMEN'S BBall hosts WSU (Friday, 2/10/23, 7:00 PM MT; Pac 12 Wash.) & Washington (Sunday, Noon MT; Pac 12 Wash.)

Media after today's win:

Article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/2/12/womens-basketball-colorado-rolls-huskies-for-win-no-20.aspx

"
BOULDER – Colorado picked up its 20th win of the season in front of the home crowd at the CU Events Center on Sunday. The Buffaloes started hot and ran away with a 65-43 win over Washington to finish off the weekend sweep.

Colorado (20-5, 11-3 Pac-12) secured its first back-to-back 20-win seasons since 2011-12 and 2012-13 and did so in front of a large number of alumni that included CU's first Elite Eight team from 1992-93.

"I think it was cool [to meet the '93 team], especially for us because we've kind of got everything that we need to be at the level that they were," Kindyll Wetta explained. "Talking to them and kind of hearing things that they would have done differently or focus more on — Looking back on it 20 years now, they were able to give a lot of good advice and I think that was really good for us."

Colorado led by double-digits at the half and never had the lead slip below 11 in the second half.

CU's offensive game wasn't at its peak the entire game, going 28-for-68 from the field. Instead, the Buffs' defensive presence caused problems for the Huskies. UW's starting five accounted for just 17 of the team's 43 points and the Huskies hit just 33.3% (16-48) as a team.

"[That's] nothing new [for us]," Wetta added about the team's defensive play. "We just do what we do and do it well. We know that we can always control that."

Quay Miller led the way for Colorado with her sixth double-double of the season. She topped all players with 15 points and 11 rebounds in just under 24 minutes of action. Frida Formann and Aaronette Vonleh each had nine points apiece and Wetta and Jaylyn Sherrod each dished out six assists.

"[Today] was a great team win," head coach JR Payne "It really is hard as much as we focus on flushing Friday night's game when it's a really emotional game and it takes a lot of energy to win a game – it's still really hard to do. I continue to be proud of just our mental focus and our leadership that made sure we were ready for today's game. Washington's a really good team that's playing very well, and we knew that we'd have to be ready. I'm proud of our team for that. Lots of great stats, Kindyll Wetta had six assists and no turnovers, making that 11 assists and no turnovers this weekend. Quay Miller had a double-double and a lot of great things. I was so proud that we could get the win this weekend."

Washington (13-11, 5-9 Pac-12) did not have a player reach double figures on Sunday. Lauren Schwartz was the Huskies' top-scorer on the day, closing with nine points.

Key Moment
The Buffs opened the game shooting 6-for-7 in the game's first five minutes and change. The sharp-shooting start put the Buffs up 13-4 and provided enough confidence for the remainder of the contest.

Notes
Sunday was CU's first 20-point Pac-12 win since defeated Washington by 23 ((66-43) on Feb. 6, 2022…Colorado's 26-point lead was its largest in the Pac-12 this season…CU now has 11 wins in the conference for just the second time since joining the Pac-12 (13 in 2012-23)…Washington's 19 first-half points were its fewest of the season…Colorado evened the all-time series against Washington, 16-16, and leads 7-6 in Boulder…The Buffs record 50 rebounds for the first time since having 55 against Western Colorado (Nov. 25, 2020)…Formann had four 3s in the game, passing Kennedy Leonard for 10th all-time at CU with 159 career 3FGM.

Quotes
Head coach JR Payne
On CU's rebounding and defense –
"Rebounding was definitely a huge factor. We knew that they are the second-leading rebounding team in the league, and pretty high statistically across the country rebounding, so we talked about it a lot. It was a huge priority, and I thought our team did a great job limiting them to seven offensive rebounds when they average close to 15 per game is really great discipline. The offense wasn't as great as usual, but we're built on the defensive side of the ball. We have a lot of offensive weapons that can score in different ways, but we trust our defense. It doesn't matter if we have a great offensive night or not, we know we can defend anybody. We take a lot of pride in that."

On the team's play the last few weeks – "I think for us the priorities are to be great every day, and in whatever you can control, be excellent at that. I think our team believes in that and wants to be great teammates. They want to communicate what they need to do. They want to take pride in defending. They want to look at a team like Washington, who's so great on the offensive glass and limit them. We're very prideful in trying to be great. I think that's why we're playing great basketball. We're very unselfish. Truly, no one cares, who scores, we just want to get a great shot. We just want to get a great stop. I think you can play really good basketball when you have talent, but you also have to have a level of unselfishness."
"
____________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/documents/2023/2/12/25_Washington.pdf

Great weekend for our Buffs! I caught some of the SCar-LSU game yesterday...they had 18,000+ in attendance. It was awesome. It would be amazing to see a full CUEC when Stanford is in town in a few weeks; this squad certainly deserves it. Hopefully the AD actually markets the game to students and the community.
I remember a full CUEC for women's games back in the day. Unfortunately they scheduled the game against Stanford at 3pm this Thursday. I am going to have to pass due to the poor timing. Not really sure what they were thinking with that.

We used to sell out, way back when. We also had to go to reserved seats when the crowds got too big after Shelley Sheetz arrived on campus.

New bracketology from Charlie Creme bumps CU up one slot to a #4 seed .... HOSTING rounds 1 and 2! GoBuffs
Keep winning and it's absolutely there for the taking. If we can get the first week of the Dance at altitude in front of a rocking Keg, you have to love our chances for a Sweet 16.

Watched the Washington game in person. Four minutes in it looked like the Buffs were going to win by 30. Then they started to struggle a bit on offense with poor ball movement combined with missing a lot of good looks. They were able to win by playing solid defense, dominating the boards and hitting timely threes.

Back