What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Matches Thread-(RV) VOLLEYBALL has back to back vs. CSU - In Ft. Collins (Thurs., 9/15/22, 7 PM MT) & in Boulder (Fri., 7:00 PM MT)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
The (RV) volleyball team (7-1) has a back to back in what looks to have become an annual tradition, facing off against the CSU Rams (6-3) twice over 2 days, heading off to Fort Collins tomorrow before heading back to Boulder for Friday Both matches are scheduled to begin at 7:00 PM MT.

Thursday evening's match looks to have a free stream available on the Mountain West Network website, while Friday's will be viewable via the Pac 12 Insider platform. (Links near the bottom of this post.)

Note - Did want to mention, for anyone planning on going to tomorrow's game in Fort Collins, their preview (linked to below) does say "Thursday's home game for the Rams will serve as the team's annual White Out game. The team is anticipating a high possibility for the game to be Colorado State volleyball's first ticket sell-out in history.". Therefore, you may want to make sure you have your ticket situation settled before heading towards Moby.

Go Buffs!!!

Preview -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2022/9/13/volleyball-buffaloes-prepped-for-battle-for-the-golden-spike.aspx

"
BOULDER — Colorado women's volleyball team takes on Colorado State in the third home-and-home series in the Battle For The Golden Spike this Thursday and Friday.

The Buffaloes (7-1) head to Moby Arena in Fort Collins Thursday at 7 p.m. to take on the Rams (6-3), then the teams will reconvene in Boulder 24 hours later to decide who will take home the traveling Golden Spike trophy.

The Golden Spike, which was donated by Colorado volleyball supporter club members, is a vintage spike donated by the Comanche Crossing Museum in Strasburg, Colo., where the final spike was driven to connect the first continuous chain of train tracks from the Atlantic to the Pacific. Since the trophies beginning in 2019, the Buffaloes and Rams have split the series two matches each with CSU taking the trophy with a pair of wins in 2019 and CU earning a sweep in Moby last year to even the series and reclaim the trophy.

Colorado is coming off a 2-1 performance in the Arkansas Invitational. The team is 33rd in the NCAA in opponent hitting percentage at .151, mostly due to the Buffs being ranked sixth in the NCAA with 3.04 blocks per set. Colorado also has the 35th-best hitting percentage, led by Meegan Hart who is fourth in the NCAA with a .473 hitting percentage.

Colorado is 5-2 against CSU under Mahoney, including a 2-1 mark in Moby Arena. Mahoney was the first in-state coach to defeat CSU coach Tom Hilbert in Moby back in 2017, and has extra motivation returning to Fort Collins as he is one win away from his 100th win as the head coach of the Buffaloes.

Thursday's match will be on the Mountain West Network, while Friday's will be on the Pac-12 Network. Colorado will be giving away CU socks to the first 250 fans in attendance.

COLORADO STATE
The Rams are 6-3 this season, and have had a similar schedule this young season as CU. The Rams started the first two weeks hosting, falling at home to Northern Colorado in four sets after taking down UNC and UC Santa Barbara in four. The team suffered a sweep to Arkansas before heading to Baylor and losing to them in three as well. CSU's latest win came against Arizona State in a five-set reverse sweep.

CSU is winning the hitting percentage battle against opponents this season despite only having 11.8 kills per set compared to 13 by opponents. Oddly, the Rams are losing the battle to opponents in kills per set, assists per set, digs per set and blocks per set. CSU has picked up wins by spreading out the ball with four individuals averaging 2.21 or greater in kills per set, led by Karina Leber with 91 kills and a .437 hitting percentage from the middle position. She is also tied for the team lead in blocks with 25. Kate Yoshimoto leads the team with 114 digs, averaging 3.45 per set.
"
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

More on the Rams -

Roster
- https://csurams.com/sports/womens-volleyball/roster
Stats - https://csurams.com/sports/womens-volleyball/stats
Schedule/ results for this season - https://csurams.com/sports/womens-volleyball/schedule/2022
Their preview article for the match with the Buffs - https://csurams.com/news/2022/9/13/...y-home-and-home-series-against-buffaloes.aspx

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Media links:

Matches notes -

Thursday:
Live stats -
Live Video - https://csurams.com/sports/2017/7/28/mountain-west-network.aspx

Friday:
Link to link to live stats -
Live Video - https://pac-12.com/live?networks=P12I

I was a jinx to the team in set 1, as from when I started watching a tight 15-16 set ended up being an easy csu 1st set win of 18-25.

So far, tonight is not going great. Buffs quickly got up 6 in the 2nd set, had that size lead as late as 12-6, but soon after give up a 6 point scoring run, and once again CSU dominates late with another 6 point run to go up 2-0 by a 19-25 score.

It's difficult to play in Moby with a sell out crowd screaming the entire match.

CU doesn't draw well at the Keg, so they better be ready for some CSU fans in the arena.

Go Buffs!!

It's difficult to play in Moby with a sell out crowd screaming the entire match.

CU doesn't draw well at the Keg, so they better be ready for some CSU fans in the arena.

Go Buffs!!
yep. CSU has done a great job building the volleyball program and getting fans to buy in. CU not so much. There will be a ton of CSU fans in boulder tonight.

Good to see they did a (late notice) t shirt giveaway for the students, and there are already ~300-400 here. (Although looking closer, there are some Rams' shirts intersperced; hopefully a small minority.)

Also, the pep band has shown up for the 1st time this season.

Probably the ugliest set of the year as CU loses the 2nd 10-25.

Serve receive was improved this set, but was unfortunately more than replaced by the hitters sailing ~12-13 balls out, many on what looked like very scorable points.

Official attendance is listed in the box score as 3,695, and although I'm sure there were some Ram fans, it did not feel anything like like a home match for them (which I remember feeling whan at matches vs. Nebraska in the Big 12 days). The MANY hundreds (if not a thousand or so?) students helped a HIUGE amount with the energy level, along with of course the band. (Almost wonder if the team may have been pressing too hard early in the match with what was probably the biggest and loudest home crowd they'd experienced in Boulder.)

Hope many of the fans, both in general and the student body, are impressed with volleyball's GREAT environment and pace, and will come back for the conference matches which begin next weekend, with ASU being the 1st opponent the Buffs face at the Events Center next Sunday (9/25). (Overall, the team starts the Pac 12 season at Utah this coming Thursday.)

great win. best thing about tonight was that with the good student crowd they gave them a good show. Hope the students come back. volleyball is a great sport to watch in person. Congrats to Jesse on his 100th win at CU

Probably the ugliest set of the year as CU loses the 2nd 10-25.

Serve receive was improved this set, but was unfortunately more than replaced by the hitters sailing ~12-13 balls out, many on what looked like very scorable points.
Not only the ugliest set of THIS year but the ugliest I have seen in MANY years! But then the Jekyll/Hyde version showed up to finish the match with the reverse sweep. This team has got to be driving the coaches bonkers.

Media after tonight's big comeback.
(Note- re the ~3,700 fans listed in the live stats, some one on Volleytalk is saying there were issues counting incoming fans, especially the students, and they think the actual crowd was probably more like 5,500-6,000.)

Article -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2022/9/16/volleyball-colorado-completes-reverse-sweep-against-csu.aspx

"
BOULDER — Colorado women's volleyball completed a wild comeback against Colorado State in a full five-set match (21-25, 10-25, 25-20, 25-19, 15-8) here Friday night to win the Golden Spike Trophy before conference play begins.

In the third-best attendance in CU volleyball history at 3,695, the Buffaloes (8-2) won three straight sets against the Rams (7-4) after dropping the first two. Colorado's first reverse sweep against CSU since 2017 gave Head Coach Jesse Mahoney his 100th career win with the program. The last reverse sweep came in Fort Collins, the last to occur in Moby Arena and the first win for an in-state coach in Fort Collins against Mahoney's former mentor Tom Hilbert.

Maya Tabron had a terrific performance as she led all players with 19 total kills while hitting .375. She also had eight digs and four blocks in the match. Meegan Hart was a force to reckon with on both the offensive and defensive end with 17 kills while hitting an amazing .654 to go along with her nine blocks.

Taylor Simpson did a great job of running the offense tonight as she had 41 assists while averaging 8.2 per set. She had 10 digs to record a double-double in the comeback win. Katie Lougeay led the Buffaloes in digs with 14 and Brynna DeLuzio matched Simpson's dig total with 10 as well.

Colorado recorded 14 blocks compared to Colorado State's seven and ended up committing one less error than the Rams in the match. Despite CSU having four players with double-digit kills, CU was able to secure the win with improved defense in the final three sets, limiting CSU to .157 in the final three sets.

The Buffaloes will open up conference play on the road against the Utah Utes on Thursday, September 22nd at 7:00 p.m. MT.

QUOTES
Head Coach Jesse Mahoney

On The Match
"I don't think I have seen us play that poorly. We've often had streaks here and there, but the first two sets were rough. Obviously, CSU is very good. It was hard to watch and manage. Kudos to the players, they could have packed it in and they didn't. They turned around and played three good sets, hitting over .350 in all three of them. It was gratifying to watch. It was also a lot of fun to have all the students here, it was a great atmosphere. The band's energy was fantastic. I think our players fed off that. Meegan had 17 kills with no errors for a fantastic performance, and as a middle, that is pretty impressive. Then Maya just kept getting better and better. I think she finished with 19 kills and hit for a great percentage. Kudos to them. It was a lot of fun. I was just watching."

On 100th Win
"Winning is fun, right? That was a lot of fun. You know, 100 wins mean I've been here a little while. But no, I'm happy for the milestone, but mostly just for our players for rebounding. As I mentioned, a fantastic atmosphere. Can't wait to do it again."
"
___________________________________________________________________________________

Box Score -

At the end of the second match, I wondered if I should keep watching. I really thought about saying this is over. Glad I decided to watch to see if they could manage to win one set. Well they pulled out 3 sets and played well doing it.

Congrats Jesse on the 100th win!

I wonder if the two matches with higher attendance than last night's were against Nebraska? They used to bring busloads of people to Coors.

I looked up the attendance records. Almost all of the games with higher attendance were against Nebraska.

The highest attendance before Friday's match was the win where we were the only team to beat Nebraska and they won the National Championship. We finished last in the Big 12 that season.

Back