What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Matches Thread- volleyball heads out to face No. 15 Oregon (Fri.,8:00 MT) and OSU (Sat.,7:00)

Time to get excited about this squad.

Looked like it was a transition year with being picked in the bottom third of the conference.

Now looking like a team that has arrived a year early and can make some noise in the NCAA tourney.
I'm sure the team would love to see a whole bunch of new/returning fans show up at their home matches this week.

I think the Wednesday match will be $1 hot dog night if that's of interest to any of you.

I'm sure the team would love to see a whole bunch of new/returning fans show up at their home matches this week.

I think the Wednesday match will be $1 hot dog night if that's of interest to any of you.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll skip lunch. (y)

I would love to be there but I don't live in Colorado. I also have other plans Wednesday, so can't watch live. Will DVR it and watch if Buffs win.

At least I should be in attendance for Senior Night!

Congrats again to the team on this weekend's wins!

Nice the Buffs are going to be part of the featured Pac 12 Networks Wednesday evening match this week (believe they call it "Spike Night"); hopefully they can recover well with the day or two less time after the prior weekend's matches. (Although WSU is playing today, so they'll even have less time to recover.)
____________________________________________________________________________________________

Article on last night's win.

Direct link - http://www.cubuffs.com/news/2017/10/28/volleyball-buffs-take-down-oregon-state-in-four-sets.aspx

"
CORVALLIS, Ore. — Colorado improved to 17-6 overall after a convincing 3-1 victory against Oregon State (16-8) on Saturday night in Gill Coliseum. The win over the Beavers completed the season series sweep of the Oregon schools as CU upset No. 15 Oregon on Friday night after defeating both programs in Boulder last month.

The Buffs took the first set narrowly (25-23), but OSU tied the match up after earning a 25-20 win in the second set. CU came out of the intermission focused, winning the final two sets (25-23 and 25-12) to snap the Beavers' five-match win streak. Colorado is now 7-5 in the Pac-12, while OSU is 6-6.

NOTES: For the first time in school history, the Buffs defeated Oregon State and Oregon both at home and away…CU is 10-4 this season away from Coors and has won five of its last six matches…The Buffs are 9-4 against the Beavers and are 3-3 in Corvallis…Colorado has eight matches remaining in the regular season, which includes five at the Coors Events Center.

TEAM STATISTICS: Colorado hit .270 with 58 kills and 18 errors on 148 attacks, while OSU hit .209 with 56 kills and 20 errors on 172 swings. The Buffs served up eight aces compared to four for the Beavers. CU also won the battle in digs (85-67). OSU did lead the Buffs in blocks, 10.0-8.5.

NEXT UP: The Buffs will have a quick turnaround as they head back to Boulder. The week starts early on Wednesday, Nov. 1, with a 7 p.m. rematch against Washington State. Then on Friday, Nov. 3, CU will host Washington at 6 p.m.

QUOTES:
Head coach Jesse Mahoney
General
"It was great to get the sweep on the weekend. The Oregon schools are really tough and are playing some really good volleyball. We started out a little rough, ball-handling-wise. By the time we were in set three, we were in a pretty good groove and when we got that win, we kind of rolled over them in set four."

About what happened in set two
"We couldn't pass. Oregon State is good. They capitalized on it like any team in the Pac-12 would. They have two great outside hitters we couldn't slow down until set four. When they are both going off, it's tough to compete
"
____________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - http://www.cubuffs.com/boxscore.aspx?path=wvball&id=9834

I love having Wednesday night as "Spike Night".

Need to better promote that on PACN.

Appears the time didn't fly home until today and didn't leave Portland until mid-afternoon.

Finding it hard to believe the Buffs are not ranked after beating ranked Oregon on the road as well as Oregon State. We also beat Oregon at home, so a season sweep. CU beat USC, and Colorado State.

CU's RPI is #17 which bodes well for the Buffs in the NCAA tourney. What doesn't bode well is attendance. If CU ends up having to play in Fort Collins, we know that will be a battle.

Then there is this:

Congrats Brenna!

Finding it hard to believe the Buffs are not ranked after beating ranked Oregon on the road as well as Oregon State. We also beat Oregon at home, so a season sweep. CU beat USC, and Colorado State.

CU's RPI is #17 which bodes well for the Buffs in the NCAA tourney. What doesn't bode well is attendance. If CU ends up having to play in Fort Collins, we know that will be a battle.

Then there is this:

Congrats Brenna!

I doubt that Colorado State will be in a position to host. Their RPI as of today is 28 and that's probably about where they will finish since there are no other highly ranked teams on their schedule to pull the RPI up. I know RPI isn't the only criteria in determining the top 16 teams who will get the seeds and thus will host rounds 1 and 2 of the NCAA tourney but it would be strange to see a team as far down the RPI ladder as #28 get to be the #16 seed (or better).

I hope you are correct and that CU doesn't have to go to Fort Collins. I know in volleyball the NCAA likes to keep travel expenses down.

I hope you are correct and that CU doesn't have to go to Fort Collins. I know in volleyball the NCAA likes to keep travel expenses down.
That's true. And we are talking about the NCAA. So logic doesn't always apply

I think what I am actually a bit more concerned about is if Colorado sneaks into one of the last seeded spots and ends up hosting here in Boulder. For sure CSU would be sent here for rounds 1 and 2 because of the NCAA focus on doing drive-ins whenever possible, unless the fact that the two teams played already this season is enough to get the Rams sent elsewhere. Assuming the Rams are sent to Boulder,and with the size of the crowd that CSU draws in Fort Collins, I think we would be seeing an invasion of Rams fans into Coors that could change the complexion of the match for the Buffs. I don't know what the mind-set would be when the Buffs home court is turned into a somewhat hostile environment. Unless of course scads of heretofore unknown Buffs volleyball fans come out of the woodwork and pack into Coors supporting the Buffs.

Watching Pac 12 matches on television, most of the schools do not draw rabid crowds. Washington definitely does, but for most of the others, not so much. I get the Big 1G network so I watch a lot of B1G volleyball. Those schools draw enormous crowds that definitely factor in to the outcome.

I wish I still lived in Boulder so I could support the team by being there in person as opposed to cheering them on from home.

Even my friend who has season tickets makes lots of excuses for not going to volleyball matches. I don't understand. She is the person who got me going to volleyball matches. For a while, she bought two season tickets and I reimbursed her for one. I was there alone more than I was there with her. She got laid off and couldn't afford the ticket. They cost more than $40 then. So she let me buy my own ticket and she kept her long time seat. I was reimbursing her so I didn't quite understand why she did that. I also don't understand that she says if she still had that extra seat, she would go more often. I don't see the logic since she didn't go when I was paying for the seat.

CU is good about where it seats player comp tickets. If you have ever followed the Buffs on the road and had a comp ticket, you know some of the tricks other schools use.

Back