What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Matches Thread- Volleyball scheduled to host (Friday, 3/19, 7:00 PM MT) and visit (Sunday, 1:00 PM MT) #11 Utah

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
For the only time this regular season, the Buffs (5-9. 5-9) are scheduled to be play in 2 different places over one weekend, albeit still against only one team, as a home and away is on tap with the #11 Utah Utes (11-3, 11-3) this Friday and Sunday. (From a tweet on their Twitter account, Utah's Coach Beth Launiere is one career win away from her 600th.)

Go Buffs!!!

Preview -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2021/3/17/...ays-home-and-home-series-with-no-11-utah.aspx

"
BOULDER – The University of Colorado women's volleyball team competes in the only home-and-home series this weekend as No.11-ranked Utah comes to town Friday at 7 p.m. before the Buffs head to Salt Lake City for the rematch Sunday at 1 p.m.

The Buffaloes (5-9 Pac-12) have hit dire times and have to win out if the team hopes to finish above .500 this season. Utah (11-3 Pac-12) is led by All-American Dani Drews and needs to win out and get some help if their Pac-12 Championship hopes are to stay alive.

Colorado has struggled offensively, failing to hit greater than .240 in its last seven matches and has only done so in three matches this season. Much of this is due to the fact that opponents have blocked CU attacks 10 times or more in six matches, including four of the last five matches.

Leah Clayton has assumed the kills leader position for Colorado despite missing the first four matches. She is averaging 3.37 kills per set while hitting .192. She is also second on the team with 2.79 digs per set, while setter Brynna DeLuzio leads the team with 3.13 digs per set. Both setters, DeLuzio and Jenna Ewert, lead CU with 15 aces.

On the defensive end, Meegan Hart has 47 blocks, good for 1.04 per set. She is also second on the team with a .301 hitting percentage, trailing Rachael Fara who is second in the Pac-12 in hitting percentage at .407.

Colorado has six matches remaining, three at home and three away. This weekend will be the last against ranked opponents for the Buffs after playing in ranked matches eight consecutive times earlier in the season.

SCOUTING THE UTES
Utah has three losses this season, two to Washington and one to UCLA. The team is led by Pac-12 Player of the Year front-runner Dani Drews who is averaging more than five kills per set (first in the conference, sixth in the nation) and leads the conference in kills despite playing two less matches than UCLA's Mac May. She is also third in the nation in points per set.

Utah leads the conference in aces per set (1.73) and opponent hitting percentage (.159) and are second in assists, digs, hitting percentage and kills. Kenzie Koerber leads the conference in aces per set (.50).
"
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

More on Utah -

Roster
- https://utahutes.com/sports/womens-volleyball/roster
Stats - https://utahutes.com/sports/womens-volleyball/stats
Schedule - https://utahutes.com/sports/womens-volleyball/schedule
Their match preview article - Not available as I type this.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Media links:

Live video -
With the basketball regular season completed, I'm guessing volleyball will start getting more coverage on the Pac 12 Networks, and that begins this weekend, as both the matches are scheduled to be on the Network, with Friday's match on the Mountain and National channels, while Sunday's will just be on the Mountain. For those whose Cable/ Satellite/ Cord Cutting subscription includes access to either of those Pac 12 channels, assume Friday's match can also be streamed through a link a https://pac-12.com/womens-volleyball/event/2021/03/19/utah-colorado , while Sunday's should be available at https://pac-12.com/womens-volleyball/event/2021/03/21/colorado-utah.

Live stats -
Friday - https://cubuffs.com/sidearmstats/wvball/summary
Sunday (Link to eventual link) - http://www.statbroadcast.com/events/statmonitr.php?gid=utah

Matches Notes - Not available as I type this.

For whatever reason, Dish is letting me watch the games broadcast on regional networks. So no computer watching this weekend.

It's tied at 1-1 in sets. Utah looks to be up early in the 3rd. (At least for me, live stats look to be frozen in the 1st set.)

It's going 5 after the Utes easily win the 3rd, and the Buffs are able to get up 4-6 for much of the 4th and win that one!

Article after the Buffs 2nd win over a top team this season. (A couple weeks ago, they won 1 match of 2 over than #12 and now #15 UCLA.)

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2021/3/19/volleyball-buffs-take-down-no-11-utah-in-five.aspx

"
BOULDER – Senior Leah Clayton put the Colorado Volleyball team on her back at the end of the fifth set and the result was the Buffs' second-straight home win over a top-12 team as CU knocked off No. 11 Utah in five sets (19-25, 25-23, 15-25, 25-22, 15-13).

The Buffs improve to 6-3 at home and 6-9 on the season while the Utes fall to 11-4 overall and 5-4 away from home. The two teams will meet again Sunday in Salt Lake City. The Buffs continue to prove they can play with any team in the country at the CU Events Center, as the Buffs' only three losses at home this season are two against No. 10 Washington, one of which was a five-set thriller, and once to No. 11 UCLA.

After the Buffs saw an 11-6 fifth-set lead shrink to 11-10, an Elissa Alcantara kill put the Buffs up 12-10 and Clayton then scored CU's final three points of the match to secure the victory. Clayton led the way offensively throughout the match and finished with 22 kills on 67 attacks, adding 10 digs for a double-double. Her 22 kills are her second-highest total this season behind 29 against Washington and her 67 attacks is a season-high.

Alcantara added 12 kills while the trio of Sterling Parker (11 kills, .476 hitting percentage), Alexia Kuehl (8 kills, .462), and Meegan Hart (7 kills, .462) all hit over .400 offensively. The Buffs were led offensively in the 6-2 offense by setters Brynna DeLuzio (24 assists, 15 digs) and Jenna Ewert (29 assists, two aces, seven digs).

Defensively, Zoe Neverdowski started at libero and recorded a career-high and CU season-high 23 digs and along with DeLuzio's 15 digs. Maya Tabron was also solid in the back row with 14 digs of her own. Neverdowski's dig total is the first over 20 for a Buff this season. Kuehl led the Buffs block with seven on the night and Clayton added four and Hart three.

The two teams were relatively evenly matched statistically as the Buffs had a 67-64 advantage in kills and a 74-66 advantage in digs while the Utes had slight advantages in blocks (13-10), aces (9-8), and hitting percentage (.253-.240).

After the trip to Salt Lake City on Sunday, the Buffs return to Boulder to close out the home season with two matches against Arizona State on Friday, March 26, and Sunday, March 28. The Buffs then end the regular season in Los Angeles with a pair of matches at Southern California.

QUOTES

Jesse Mahoney

On The Match

"That was a really good volleyball match. That's one of the best teams in the country. You saw the way they started the match and played at a really high level. I was proud of our team for hanging in there and kind of weathering the storm in that first set. We kept our focus. I felt like we got better as the match went on, which was really good to see. I felt like we did a really nice job playing the system that we want, and adjusting the way we wanted to against Utah. It was just a really well played match on both sides. I'm excited that we finally kind of closed it out. We've struggled with doing that at the end of sets in a couple matches. Kudos to our players. Now we get to go on a plane and head to Salt Lake and do it all again. We'll have a lot more confidence."

On Depth
'It's good and bad, obviously, It's great that we've started I think three liberos this year now. It's good that we have several players that can come in and play at a high level. Brynna who is setting of course now, I think when she was in the libero roles she was fantastic. Katie had some really good matches. Zoe's had kind of a resurgence in practice. That's why we kind of gave her the look tonight and I thought she was fantastic. Then we have some players on the bench that maybe don't have an opportunity to get in the match as much as I would like. Part of that is the 6-2 doesn't allow for as many subs as maybe we would like. We have some players on the bench that I think are ready to go as well. Definitely a lot of depth on this team."

On The Season To Date
"Where we are this season, it's very unlikely for us to make the NCAA Tournament. We're talking about the process, getting better every day in practice, and getting better in every match. I'm really proud of our players. We came off a road trip in Arizona where we lost two that we really felt like, in order to make the postseason, we probably needed at least one, possibly two. We haven't had a letdown. We maybe had one of our best weeks of practice this week so our mentality is in the right place and our heads are in the right place. Our players are playing hard which is all you can ask for. That is going to pay dividends down the road."
"
____________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/sports/womens-volleyball/stats/2020/utah/boxscore/14169

It was such a fun match to watch. Anyone else remember when Liz Kritzka was coach and CU was known for Friday Night Upsets in Boulder. Maybe we can be that team again.

The road seems to be very difficult for this year's team but I will be watching.

After it was very tight up through the 15 point media timeout (it was 14-15 Utes at that point), the Utes feature some great defense and take set 1 18-25.

Back