What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NCAA 2024 Tourney game thread - #10 seed MEN's Bball - 2nd round game vs. #2 seed Marquette (In Indianapolis; Sunday, 3/24, 10:10 AM MT; CBS)

OTOH, I don’t believe God cares much about a basketball game and will stay out of it regardless. But if we go down by 2 with 0.5 seconds left and KJ hits a 100 ft. game winner, you guys can thank me! 😂
I'm blaming you for the loss.

Media after today's hard fought season-ender:

Article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2024/3/24/mens-basketball-buffs-vs-marquette

"

Buffs Fall To Marquette In NCAA Tournament Second Round​

By: Neill Woelk, Contributing Editor

INDIANAPOLIS —
Colorado fought back from a 12-point first-half deficit to tie the game with three minutes remaining Sunday, but the Buffaloes came up short down the stretch and dropped an 81-77 loss to Marquette in the NCAA Tournament second round.

Tad Boyle's Buffs thus saw their season come to an end with a 26-11 record while Marquette improved to 27-9 and advanced to a Sweet 16 matchup against North Carolina State.

KJ Simpson led CU with 20 points. Tristan da Silva scored 17, Eddie Lampkin Jr. added 13 and Cody Williams chipped in 12.

Tyler Kolek led Marquette with 21 points.

"Another good game in March," Boyle said. "Unfortunately we came up on the short end of it tonight, unlike the other night (a 102-100 win over Florida). But give Marquette credit. They played well."

The Buffs shot a respectable 47% from the floor but hit just 10 of their 30 3-point tries — a season-high for 3-point attempts. Marquette finished 34-for-55 from the floor (62%) and made 9 of 21 3-point tries.

The big difference came in the paint, where the Golden Eagles outscored the Buffs, 48-36.

"We didn't have much of an answer for them defensively all night," Boyle said. "I would just say that when a team shoots 61 percent against you for the game, almost 62 percent, and you've still got a chance at the end, it means you're doing something right. For this team, what that means to me is they've been competing their tails off the whole year because you don't give up 61 percent and stay in a game. But we rebounded the ball well, we fought, we battled, we just came up a little bit short."

While the Buffs didn't advance to the Sweet 16, they did win back-to-back NCAA Tournament games for the first time since 1955. Colorado also finished with a program-record 26 wins.

"I thought we had our chances at the end," Boyle said. "Had some good looks, didn't go in. It's disappointing. But I love this team, I love those guys in that locker room. They've got nothing to hang their heads about. They competed their tails off, not just here in Indianapolis but in Dayton the other night, in the Pac-12 tournament, since basically the middle of February. Great year, 26 wins. Something to be proud of."

DECISIVE STRETCH: Colorado trailed by just one, 77-76, with 2:37 remaining. But the Buffs came up empty on two straight possessions and the Golden Eagles pushed their edge to three with 54 seconds remaining. CU's Williams then hit just one of two free throw tries and Marquette finally sealed the win with two free throws with seven seconds remaining.

WHAT IT MEANS: While the Buffs didn't advance to the Sweet 16, they did win back-to-back NCAA Tournament games for the first time since 1955. CU also finished with a program-record 26 wins.

KEY STATISTICS: The Buffs shot a 47% from the floor but hit just 10 of their 30 3-point tries — a season-high for 3-point attempts … Marquette finished 34-for-55 from the floor (62%) and made 9 of 21 3-point tries … The Golden Eagles outscored the Buffs, 48-36, in the paint.

NEXT UP: The loss ended Colorado's season.
"
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2023-24/marquette/boxscore/17005

Awoke in the middle of the night with visions of CW’s and KJ’s 3’s bouncing off the rim. They were off by mere inches. If either goes in our odds of winning are good. If both go in, odds are great. Inches!!

Awoke in the middle of the night with visions of CW’s and KJ’s 3’s bouncing off the rim. They were off by mere inches. If either goes in our odds of winning are good. If both go in, odds are great. Inches!!

For not shooting the ball well, we found a way to hang in there. Tad gave a good halftime and we came out energized. We got enough open looks, and some in crunch time but just could not put them down. I think if a few went, we were sort of close to almost breaking it open; but Marquette is a #2 and played like it. The TO's hurt but some of those were forced, as MU played active defense with fast hands. Also, it would have been nice to get to the FT line more, but neither team fouled a bunch or refs ate the whistles for both sides. When you are the underdog in those games, you usually have to shoot it well to have any sort of chance.

In the end, great season.

Last edited:
The '97 team was ranked 18th at the end of the season and was given a 9 seed.
Fair, but historically speaking the 10/11/12 seeds are 10-12% more likely to advance to the second round than the 9 seed and 5-7% than the 8 seed. Of course, they are all 10-12% less likely to make it to the round of 32 than the 8/9 seed, but I'd rather be in a position to actually make it to the S16 than be one and done

1711379290626.png

Fair, but historically speaking the 10/11/12 seeds are 10-12% more likely to advance to the second round than the 9 seed and 5-7% than the 8 seed. Of course, they are all 10-12% less likely to make it to the round of 32 than the 8/9 seed, but I'd rather be in a position to actually make it to the S16 than be one and done

View attachment 70711
So you want to be an 11 or a 6-lower.

I would not have guessed 11 was better than 10 by that big of a margin.

I told Ruckus and Darth that if I was watching that game without the score showing, I would have assumed that the score was 98 to to 68 in favor of Marquette towards the end. It seemed like they were kicking our asses the whole way and that everything was easy for them. Our Buffs kept grinding and fighting. Would have loved to have seen a few more threes drop...
It’s a game of runs. I thought we looked pretty damn great for most of that second half. If we could have dropped one of those open threes…

Back