What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NCAA 2024 Tourney game thread - #5 seed WOMEN'S Bball - 1st round game vs. #12 Drake (In Manhattan, Kansas; Friday, 3/22, 5:00 PM MT; ESPNEWS)

4th quarter has been the problem for us for a while now. And it's not better today. I will be very nervous about the KSU game

Be RELENTLESS in the 4th Buffs!
c15e49a7c128806f5a77e560c59cedca0d9d3a28.gif

GO BUFFS!!! Up 19 with ~3:15 to go...

I still can't believe the announcers. They were salivating all over Drake even with a minute left down by 17. What in the living hell?

If I were Coach JR, I'd show that replay tomorrow morning as "recreational viewing" to get them stewing before hitting the film room.

I think announcers tend to focus on the underdog or losing team during the tournament because they know it's literally their last game of the season...They'll be able to talk about CU during our next game. Drake; not so much. I'm fine with the commentators praising the key players and teamwork for the other team when we are up by 15+. Drake had a fantastic season; they deserve some praise during their final quarter. The scoreboard is what I care about most...

Media after today's BIG and VERY solid win. Now time to up their game even more and upset the Wildcats!

Article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2024/3/22/...o-advances-to-round-of-32-with-win-over-drake

"

Colorado Advances to Second Round With Win Over Drake​

By: Colin Wagner, CU Athletic Communications Associate

MANHATTAN, Kan. –
The Colorado Buffaloes women's basketball team took down the Drake Bulldogs 86-72 in the first round of the NCAA Tournament here Friday night at the Bramlage Coliseum. The victory sets up a second round matchup with Kansas State on Sunday.

"I'm just really proud of how we played tonight," head coach JR Payne said after the game. "I thought we had a great week-and-a-half of practice and preparation."

"Drake is such a good and such a different team. I was very nervous about this game, not that I didn't think we were capable, it's just such a different style. We have not played a team like Drake all year. So I'm really proud of how our team prepared."

The Buffs (23-9) found themselves in a tight game with the Bulldogs (29-6) at the end of the first half, but Colorado put together a huge third quarter to pull away from Drake and secure the victory.

Aaronette Vonleh and Jaylyn Sherrod led the offensive attack for Colorado tonight. Vonleh recorded a double-double with 18 points and 10 rebounds while Sherrod almost had a double-double as well, scoring 16 and dishing out eight assists.

Maddie Nolan also had a great performance with 12 points, six boards and zero turnovers. She played 29 minutes, the second most minutes played on the Buffs behind only Sherrod.

The final Buff with double-digit points was Kindyll Wetta. In last year's NCAA Tournament run to the Sweet 16, Wetta had 15 points in three different games. Tonight, she scored 16 on 7 of 10 shooting from the field.

"So proud of the whole team, of course, but so unbelievably proud of Kindyll for her aggressiveness, the way she caught and shot without thinking about it," Payne stated. "Her defense is always incredible. I've said to many that I think she's one of the best defensive players I've ever coached, but to see her that aggressive and confident offensively was brilliant."

A big reason for Colorado's third quarter run was its ability to control possession. The Buffs dominated on the glass, outrebounding the Bulldogs 39 to 18 in the contest. Of those 39 boards, 12 came in the third quarter. Colorado also had 15 offensive rebounds which led to 16 second-chance points.

The Buffs will play the Wildcats in the second round on Sunday. The last time Colorado played Kansas State resulted in a defeat on February 16, 2011.
NEXT

The Buffs will face off against fourth-seeded Kansas State in the Round of 32 on Sunday, March 24.

NOTES
20th all-time NCAA Tournament win (20-15)...CU is now 1-1 all-time against Drake…Wetta surpasses 500 career points with 413…Wetta with a new career high of 16 points, had 15 in three NCAA tournament games last season...Vonleh double-double with NCAA tournament highs of 18 pts and 10 rebs…CU outscored Drake in the paint 54-32…CU's bench outscored Drake 30-11…CU outscored Drake in fast-break points 15-6.
"
________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats/2023-24/drake/boxscore/17003

Edit - longer highlights (for both teams):

Back