What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'10 CA CB Jered Bell (Signed to Colorado)

Re: '10 CA CB Jered Bell (Committed to Colorado)

Buffnik, did he get downgraded by Scout? His profile now shows 2 stars there, but your thread intro says he's 3 start at Scout (Rivals does show 3 stars).

Nice catch.

He did get downgraded from their #87 CB to their #133 CB (which moved him down to 2*). Sucks, but I wouldn't read much into it. CB is the most difficult position to project and the ratings rarely mean much.

I thought it would be interesting to look at our current corners and their Scout ratings:

Ben Burney (2* Safety)... he's back at safety, but he was a corner
Jimmy Smith (3* Safety)
Jalil Brown (2* Corner)
Chapelle Brown (2* Corner)
Jonathan Hawkins (2* Corner)
Steven Hicks (3* Safety)
Paul Vigo (2* Weakside LB)
Deji Olatoye (3* Safety)

And our secondary is pretty damn good, right? The thing they all have in common (except for our nickel guy, Chap) is that they're tall and long so they can play press coverage. Brown's doing a great job of developing those types of guys and Jered Bell is kind of the prototype.

Jimmy Smith (3* Safety)
Jalil Brown (2* Corner)
Steven Hicks (3* Safety)
Deji Olatoye (3* Safety)

And our secondary is pretty damn good, right? The thing they all have in common (except for our nickel guy, Chap) is that they're tall and long so they can play press coverage. Brown's doing a great job of developing those types of guys and Jered Bell is kind of the prototype.

Really? Are you sure about that?

Really? Are you sure about that?

They played well enough on Sat. Big catch they gave up was simply a hell of a play by the WR. Coverage was tight. Dropped a couple of picks as well. They are playing better for sure. Nice to see another Cali DB joining the team. :thumbsup:

Nice catch.

He did get downgraded from their #87 CB to their #133 CB (which moved him down to 2*). Sucks, but I wouldn't read much into it. CB is the most difficult position to project and the ratings rarely mean much.

I thought it would be interesting to look at our current corners and their Scout ratings:

Jimmy Smith (3* Safety)
Jalil Brown (2* Corner)
Steven Hicks (3* Safety)
Deji Olatoye (3* Safety)

I don't know how the rest of you feel, but it seems to me that Scout changes their star rankings after the kids have even enrolled in school. These seem about right, but I wouldn't be surprised if during recruiting, some of these kids were 3* and now they're 2*...

Also, even though they struggled at times, Brown is really a proven DB coach, and I take any kid that he thinks is deserving of a scholarship - unless the offers are primarily Hawk's doing.

I don't know how the rest of you feel, but it seems to me that Scout changes their star rankings after the kids have even enrolled in school. These seem about right, but I wouldn't be surprised if during recruiting, some of these kids were 3* and now they're 2*...

Also, even though they struggled at times, Brown is really a proven DB coach, and I take any kid that he thinks is deserving of a scholarship - unless the offers are primarily Hawk's doing.

Both Rivals and Scout have a few wrinkles in the system. If a kid commits early, he gets fewer offers, and then fewer stars. If a kid holds out forever, and becomes the top player in his position who is uncommitted (and has offers), his ranking can go up.

There are those who say that the more subscribers/fans a team has, the more likely THEIR comitted players will get/keep stars, but of course ... sigh, just an unprovable rumor.

Both Rivals and Scout have a few wrinkles in the system. If a kid commits early, he gets fewer offers, and then fewer stars. If a kid holds out forever, and becomes the top player in his position who is uncommitted (and has offers), his ranking can go up.

There are those who say that the more subscribers/fans a team has, the more likely THEIR comitted players will get/keep stars, but of course ... sigh, just an unprovable rumor.

Yeah, I know that, and I actually also agree that the number of subscribers plays a little into star rankings.

I'm talking about after signing day. After the kids are enrolled. There are some kids that I swore were so many stars, and now looking back, their numbers have either gone up one or down one on Scout's lists. If it were just one player, I'd say fine, I'm wrong. But I don't think I'm wrong on several players. It just makes me not trust Scout's historical lists.

I could be wrong, but I think they change ratings sometimes even after signing day. I think Tyler Hansen got a boost in his ratings when he played in some all star game and played really well.

Yeah, I know that, and I actually also agree that the number of subscribers plays a little into star rankings.

I'm talking about after signing day. After the kids are enrolled. There are some kids that I swore were so many stars, and now looking back, their numbers have either gone up one or down one on Scout's lists. If it were just one player, I'd say fine, I'm wrong. But I don't think I'm wrong on several players. It just makes me not trust Scout's historical lists.

I have seen kids go up as soon as Rival's or Scout finds out that they have talked with a particular university. Commit to one of the big subscriber schools and the rating jump quicker. Commit to a school with a smaller or non-existant subscription base and they might even drop.

There are cases where a kid (or his parent, etc.) has told the services that they are getting attention from certain schools and they jump up in the ratings, turns out that that school had no contact but the kid used it to get some attention.

conrad obi was a four star at georgia and dropped to a 5.5 (5.6? dont feel like looking it up) after he transferred to us. they might have been correct on that one however.

conrad obi was a four star at georgia and dropped to a 5.5 (5.6? dont feel like looking it up) after he transferred to us. they might have been correct on that one however.
Obi went to Georgia? When did this happen? I believe he was from Georgia but never went there. I could be wrong tho.

I have seen kids go up as soon as Rival's or Scout finds out that they have talked with a particular university. Commit to one of the big subscriber schools and the rating jump quicker. Commit to a school with a smaller or non-existant subscription base and they might even drop.

There are cases where a kid (or his parent, etc.) has told the services that they are getting attention from certain schools and they jump up in the ratings, turns out that that school had no contact but the kid used it to get some attention.

This seems like a bad business model. The schools with the big subscription bases aren't going to cancel if you don't overly pump up their players. However, if you are at a smaller subscription school and you start hearing about all these 3 and 4 star players your team is getting, maybe you sign up to read more about them. If they down grade your players you sure as hell aren't going to sign up for the site to read about the supposedly ****ty players your team is getting.

End threadcrap here.

Obi went to Georgia? When did this happen? I believe he was from Georgia but never went there. I could be wrong tho.

He was committed to UGA before switching to the Buffs. When he switched is commitment, he lost a star.

Oh ok I see. One of these days maybe he'll actually play.

This seems like a bad business model. The schools with the big subscription bases aren't going to cancel if you don't overly pump up their players. However, if you are at a smaller subscription school and you start hearing about all these 3 and 4 star players your team is getting, maybe you sign up to read more about them. If they down grade your players you sure as hell aren't going to sign up for the site to read about the supposedly ****ty players your team is getting.

End threadcrap here.

A lot of these schools have fans who are willing to pay for sunshine pumping. Try to find something objective in the Omaha newspaper about the corn or in the New Orleans papers about the Tigers. Why does ESPN let Beano and Lou continue fantasizing about ND. The fans of those schools don't want to hear bad news, even if it is true or objective. They want to hear how great they are and how the next MNC is just around the corner. They are also willing to pay for that good news (even if it is overblown) and there are enough of them that it makes good business sense to cater to them.

Bell is up from 43 to 35:thumbsup:

Bell's on the cusp of being a 4* on Rivals now with that #35 positional ranking.

He also moved up on Scout from 133 to 90 (and from 2* to 3*).

ESPN added a rating (2*; #94 CB).

Re: '10 CA CB Jered Bell

Bell confirmed in a Rivals interview today that his commitment was solid. While he was disappointed that Greg Brown left for Arizona and had a great relationship with him, he is excited to work with Ashley Ambrose. The idea of playing for a 13-year NFL vet who was mentored by Brown and shares the same philosophies sounded just fine to Jered. He loves how beautiful it is on the Front Range, too.

Great news! You don't find too many CBs over 6 feet tall who can run like he can.

http://colorado.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1034115

He does not have plans to visit any other colleges before signing day.

"I am happy with the choice I made and I'll be up there in the summer," Bell said.

Bell recorded roughly 50 tackles and five interceptions as a senior this fall while helping Colony to a 10-2 record. He earned first-team all-CIF and first-team all-league honors.

Bell will run track this spring. He ran the 110-meter hurdles in 14.8-seconds as a junior.

Darryl Ballard (former CSU wide receiver) coached at Colony HS until this spring when he became a grad assistant at CSU. You'd think they'd be all over him... There are several D1 players at Colony this year...

Was recently told by a HS coach in Calif that Bell and Ballard are first cousins. I wonder if that is true? Ballard is on staff at CSU.

Out of the entire class, Hirschmann and Bell are my top prospects. I think they have a chance to shine. The rest are sort of average prospects to projects in my opinion. I'm really glad that he stuck with CU.

Back