What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'10 CA SG Jordin Mayes (Signed to Arizona)

Re: '10 CA SG Jordin Mayes

http://www.highschoolhoop.com/getting-up/2009/05/highschoolhoopcom-top-50-countdown-46-jordin-maye/

This kid took Lincoln (who had one of the top prospects in the nation in Lance Stephenson) and Word of God (who had THE man last year John Wall, as well as CJ Leslie) to the cleaners. Mayes doesn't have the recognition that our prior top recruits have had, but there hasn't been a player that I've wanted to sign with CU more since Q Richardson.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/calhisports?tag=super 64

and I find it weird that he didn't mention having an offer from CU...perhaps the reporter was too hasty.

Last edited:

Based on his offers, we have a shot. It's the UCLAs of the world potentially offering that worries me. I actually think we'll have a better season than Cal does, so we have a pretty decent shot at out-recruiting them.

I just realized this, Jordin is on the same AAU team that Keegan Hornbuckle was - PumpNRun. I don't know if he was on the team at the same time as Keegan, but whatever - hopefully they traveled the summer tours together and are friends.

Jordin has stated that the whole Pac 10 is recruiting him, and it'll be tough to pull him away from the coast in my opinion. I really hope we get this guy...I'm sort of getting frustrated with the lack of recruiting news that pertains to the Buffs. I really hope this in no way accurately reflects the recruiting job Bz and staff are doing. You can be a great coach, but you need the players. There is no real substitute for talent on the court; I don't care about Princeton. We don't need the McDonald's AA kids, but we still need talent. Last years class is great - where are the kids this year? Are just going to wait until after a bunch of players sign in the early period?

...this is annoying me...one of the reasons why I grew up a Duke fan as a kid...CU sometimes gets so irrelevant in college bball news.

J. Mayes Has Leaders; E. Carter Eliminates Richmond; R. Canty Reclassifies
by Alex Schwartz
JMayes.jpg

On Monday I caught up with a trio of talented prospects from three different states. The headliner of the group was Jordin Mayes '10 of Westchester (CA), the #69 ranked player in Northstar Basketball's Class of 2010 Terrific 125. Eli Carter '10 from St. Anthony's (NJ) was a player who I considered a bit near the end of the rankings and is a top 175 player nationally. Ryan Canty '11 was an under-the-radar 2010 big man, but he is no longer.

Although Mayes is undersized for a shooting guard at 6'1, he is a big-time talent and is drawing a lot of college interest. Cal, Boston College, Utah, Washington State, San Diego State, San Francisco, Boise State, St. Mary's, Fresno State, San Diego, and Colorado are the 11 schools on Mayes' list, and they have all offered. Asked if there are any programs that have yet to offer that are recruiting him that he is considering, Jordin remarked, "I'm only considering the ones that offered right now. [It is] too much hassle and stress trying to work about ones that haven't offered or [are] not going to offer."

Right now, there are three programs that stand out to Mayes. "I'm leaning towards Cal, Boston College, and Utah," stated the Golden State guard. In fact, Mayes informed me that is actually the order of his top three, so right now the Golden Bears are the ream to beat, though he did state that it is "all subject to change though," so Mike Montgomery and Co. have not locked him up just yet. As fas as visits go, Mayes was at "Boston College this past weekend" on a official. Cal, Colorado, and San Diego are the only other schools he has seen so far. Are any other visits planned? "Cal this weekend. Utah next weekend."

More...

At this point, CU just needs to win. It is absolutely essential that we don't stumble against any of the 3 cupcakes to start the season. And we need to look good in Maui. And Bohn needs to make a facility announcement.

Those things happen, Mayes and others will give CU a 2nd (or 1st) look.

Huh. Scout.com list his top three as San Diego, Wash St., and Colorado.

Scout has had him with CO as high interest for a long time. I don't think they're doing a very good job with updating his profile, and I think these are who they've stated are his top three for awhile.

I don't think grades are an issue, but it just seems more and more that he's a Pac-10 commit. I don't think we're out of it, but the last post you had where he did not include us at the top makes me doubtful...which really sucks. He was the one kid I've seen Bz recruit I REALLY wanted...

I just saw that. That's 4 verbals to Cal, 3 of which are guards. They are losing 5 seniors after this year (3 guards and 2 forwards). You'd have to expect that the 5th scholly needs to go to a 2nd forward since they've only got 3 returning next year. 6g-5f-2c makes more sense than 7g-4f-2c.

In short, I believe Cal is out of the Mayes sweepstakes. The question is whether we are still in?

Rivals has a fresh update on Jordin Mayes.

- San Diego State, Nevada, Santa Clara and St. Mary's are the four newest offers
- California, Colorado and San Diego have also offered
- also hearing from Boston College, Northwestern and Arizona
- He said signing during the spring period is a possibility.

I'll be shocked if he doesn't wait until the spring to sign. As long as Coach Bz sees him playing the 2, I'm still on board with going after him strong. With Sharpe, we're too crowded at the 1 in next year's freshman class if that's where Mayes would play. I love the idea of those guys pairing up as our backcourt for 4 years, though.

In my personal opinion, you can never be too crowded at the point guard position. For CU, it helps that Burks is point guard skilled in a 6'6 body

We should be going after Mayes - he's a real talent. I hope our strong showings in Maui and hopefully soon-to-come victories convince to join our team.

We should be going after Mayes - he's a real talent. I hope our strong showings in Maui and hopefully soon-to-come victories convince to join our team.

With Thorne graduating, we should sell that he has an IMMEDIATE chance to start and make an impact.

With Thorne graduating, we should sell that he has an IMMEDIATE chance to start and make an impact.

The truth's always a good starting point when pitching a recruit. :nod:

Beyond that, we've got the beginning of something very good happening with CU basketball right now. It's a great system for a guard and Mayes would have a chance to be part of something very special.

I really hope he decides to be a Buff.

I don't think Mayes is going to end up at CU. Plus I hope we don't use an open scholarship on another guard. We need big guys. 6-8 centers won't cut it in the Big 12.

Next year with Higgin's brother and Sharpe in the lineup we'll already have Tomlinson, Sharpe, Cory Higgins, other Higgins, and Burks for our guard play. No chance Mayes see's the starting lineup next season.

We should look to recruit Canada the way Gonzaga has been. Sacre is out of Canada, that guy went under everyone's radar in the US and is a legit NBA talent.

We should look to recruit Canada the way Gonzaga has been. Sacre is out of Canada, that guy went under everyone's radar in the US and is a legit NBA talent.

One that pans out better than Marc Van Burck, that is.

I don't think Mayes is going to end up at CU. Plus I hope we don't use an open scholarship on another guard. We need big guys. 6-8 centers won't cut it in the Big 12.

Next year with Higgin's brother and Sharpe in the lineup we'll already have Tomlinson, Sharpe, Cory Higgins, other Higgins, and Burks for our guard play. No chance Mayes see's the starting lineup next season.

I'm not sure if Higgins' brother is on scholarship.

While I agree with you that we need bigs, I would not pass up on Mayes. I would still recruit him hard, even if all indications are that he's headed to PAC-10. Sure, he might not start, but he can still be a solid contributor, and perhaps take over the job in his sophomore season. He also plays a lot of the 2-spot. We really need a quality big, but Mayes is really good. Unless coaches see something from Sharpe that amazes them, Mayes should be one of their priorities. Even then...I'd still go after him.

Rick Higgins is a walk on.

The 2010-2011 Roster looks like this (assuming no attrition):

Center (1s/0w)
Shane Harris-Tunks (Scholarship Sophomore)

Forward (5s/1w)
Casey Crawford (Scholarship Senior)
Marcus Relphorde (Scholarship Senior)
Trent Beckley (Walkon Senior)
Austin Dufault (Scholarship Junior)
Trey Eckloff (Scholarship Junior)
Keegan Hornbuckle (Scholarship Sophomore)

Guard (5s/2w)
Cory Higgins (Scholarship Senior)
Levi Knutson (Scholarship Senior)
Javon Coney (Walkon Senior)
Rick Higgins (Walkon Senior)
Nate Tomlinson (Scholarship Junior)
Alec Burks (Scholarship Sophomore)
Shannon Sharpe (Scholarship Freshman)

13 Scholarships Allowed
11 Scholarships Committed

Could be 3 available schollie's if Crawford skips his final year.

Interesting. Anyone make a reasonable case for that happening?

Crawford's graduating and wants to go to law school. A 1L year is way too demanding to try to be a varsity athlete at the same time.

Crawford's graduating and wants to go to law school. A 1L year is way too demanding to try to be a varsity athlete at the same time.

Fuh. If he plays every month like this November I want all the eligibility out of him we can get.

Fuh. If he plays every month like this November I want all the eligibility out of him we can get.

Looking at box scores now I think it was just his two 10-point games that jumped out at me. Averaging just above 4 on the season, but 4-8 on 3s. We at least need to look at recruiting a taller guy who can hit the outside shot over a defender, if not one as big as Crawford.

god he would be a ****ing idot to skip playing ball for another year to go to law school. That will be a crushing dissapointment to him. :lol:

http://www.dailybreeze.com/ci_13949423

Mayes is a great player, and I it would be amazing to have him and Burks in the same backcourt for a few years. I don't know too much about Sharpe, but I think Mayes is the real deal. Get this kid into Boulder. Him and Burks both are playmakers and can play either guard spot. If Bz can deliver them a legit big man, then we'd be set to make a tourney run and perhaps truly establishing CU's bball program.

http://www.dailybreeze.com/ci_13949423

Mayes is a great player, and I it would be amazing to have him and Burks in the same backcourt for a few years. I don't know too much about Sharpe, but I think Mayes is the real deal. Get this kid into Boulder. Him and Burks both are playmakers and can play either guard spot. If Bz can deliver them a legit big man, then we'd be set to make a tourney run and perhaps truly establishing CU's bball program.

:nod: Honestly we're a legit big man away from making a tourney run this season. :cry:

Back