What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'11 JC QB Brent Burnette (Signed to Colorado)

Brent took an unconventional round-about path to get to Boulder.

Welcome to the BnG. Best wishes on making those football dreams come true in the conference of champions.

From what i have seen , Brunette has a good chance of starting for the Buffs. Hansen has not developed as a pocket passer for Colorado, he is okay, but makes a lot of mistakes. Pulls the ball down and runs too much. The QB competition in the spring is going to be interesting, it is wide open in my view. Hirshman, Hansen, Brunette are going to battle for playing time

The kid looks solid, like a more athletic version of Nick Hirschman. Great body for a QB peaking over 6'3", 220. Looks like he has a great arm, quick release. You have to wonder why he hasn't caught on but i know MTSU has had a pretty damn good QB at the helm over the past two years so maybe it was a Tebow like situation where he didn't see himself beating him out and went the JUCO route. We need depth in the worst way and this guy looks to have a more live arm than Hansen so i'm good with it. If it was me, i'd have 5 or 6 QB's on scholarship AT LEAST. I'd take the kid committed to Wyoming if we can get him as well. You can never have enough talented QB's. You have to give yourself options unlike the BS situation CU is in right now with a Junior and a RS Freshman as the only scholarship players on the team at the position. What a joke.

We need to get CYLER MILES next year too.

Why? For one, good luck in trying to get that many quality QBs to commit to you and stay at the school when it is clear they will not be the starter. When you start talking about that 6th QB or beyond, you are wasting scholarships big time.

Why? For one, good luck in trying to get that many quality QBs to commit to you and stay at the school when it is clear they will not be the starter. When you start talking about that 6th QB or beyond, you are wasting scholarships big time.

We are set for the 2011 calendar for QB recruits, We now have 4 maybe QB on the roster. No need to sign more QB in this cycle, if we do it will impact recruiting next year. We can sign about 2 blue chippers next year.

From what i have seen , Brunette has a good chance of starting for the Buffs. Hansen has not developed as a pocket passer for Colorado, he is okay, but makes a lot of mistakes. Pulls the ball down and runs too much. The QB competition in the spring is going to be interesting, it is wide open in my view. Hirshman, Hansen, Brunette are going to battle for playing time

Welcome to the board.

I haven't seen enough of all these guys (except Tyler) to make any judgments -- but I'd imagine that the starting spot if Tyler's to lose. I'm just thrilled we have a good corps of QBs and that their graduation years are spread out. Burnette looks like a good player, glad to have him. Spring should be very interesting.

Good move by the staff to shore up an immediate need for depth at qb position. May not be a flashy commit, but I think it is exactly what we need in this recruiting cycle.

Agree with the last two posts on this subject. Not sure what we have outside of Tyler at this point and he's a senior.

I have no idea what bigbang is stating above in that taking more QB's will impact recruiting next year? It goes without saying we should have a pipeline going and we could really use a Freshman QB this cycle as well. I don't see anyone we are in on that would impact any 2012 kids out there. In addition, we will have our full limit of 25 scholarships available next year.

I am pretty sure Embree would really like to pull in a Frosh QB if the kid has potential to be a Pac-12 QB.

Agree with the last two posts on this subject. Not sure what we have outside of Tyler at this point and he's a senior.

I have no idea what bigbang is stating above in that taking more QB's will impact recruiting next year? It goes without saying we should have a pipeline going and we could really use a Freshman QB this cycle as well. I don't see anyone we are in on that would impact any 2012 kids out there. In addition, we will have our full limit of 25 scholarships available next year.

I am pretty sure Embree would really like to pull in a Frosh QB if the kid has potential to be a Pac-12 QB.

Normally i would agree with you that we need a second QB in this cycle, but it is too late to recruit a top QB that fits the pro-style offense . Embree and Bienemy will have a whole recruiting cycle next year to get atleast 1 or 2 top recruits at QB. The blue chippers will come if they like the system in place and if they have a situation that allows them to play early.

In 2011

Hansen- Senior
Brunete- Junior
Hirshman-redshirt freshman
Gorman- redshirt freshman

Last edited:
Echo some of the sentiments above. If the coaching staff is above board and lets the kid know that there will be competition for playing time, and he's confident enough to come in and mix it up, bring him on!

Echo some of the sentiments above. If the coaching staff is above board and lets the kid know that there will be competition for playing time, and he's confident enough to come in and mix it up, bring him on!

damn lawdogg... not only did you just join... but you ponied up to be a club member!!!

welcome to allbuffs

This is good from the standpoint of having some depth at QB. CU just has not had that in the last several years. Right now TH is the only QB who has taken a snap in a game beyond HS. With Burnette we add depth and experience. Will be good is Hirschman can play also.

i like it. don't know anything about the kid, but if he's taken D-1 snaps and has a set of throws he can make he's right in the mix if JE is serious about running the ball....we need someone to hand the ball off, not make mistakes and throw play action.

a different skillset than what we've had with Cody or TH. not saying they (or TH) can't do it, but less oriented towards the making reads/audible out of formations spread idea we've had since the Boise Playbook came to town.

Been reading several places where people are saying that his arm strength, while not elite, is better than advertised. That he puts some heat on the ball and can make all the throws. After watching the film again, I tend to agree. He's got enough arm to be a successful starter at this level.

Been reading several places where people are saying that his arm strength, while not elite, is better than advertised. That he puts some heat on the ball and can make all the throws. After watching the film again, I tend to agree. He's got enough arm to be a successful starter at this level.
Good to hear that our QB worries may be resolved for now.

I just want to see someone push TH because I am not sold on his ability to read the D, make is check downs, and stay in the pocket. Mobility is one thing but I still think he looks to run way to early on many plays when the second or third option is there.

Brent Burnette is top notch.

Do any of you know who Randal Cobb is? He's that awesome WR at the University of Kentucky. Well, when he was in high school he played quarterback. His teams went 55-5 and won four 2A state championships. All 5 of his loses at Alcoa High School in Alcoa, TN came to teams that won state championships in higher classifications. Four of those loses came to Maryville High School, which is about 4 miles from Alcoa. It's the biggest rivalry in the state of Tennessee. The QB of those Maryville teams was Brent Burnette. In the four years he played, Maryville went 60-0. This kid is a winner. His senior year he completed 69% of his passes for over 3,500 yards, 38 touchdowns and only 7 picks. He was named Class 4A Mr. Football. He had offers from North Carolina, Virginia, as well as MTSU. He went to Middle Tennessee, because he thought he would get to play in a pro style offense. However, they switched to the spread, so he decided to transfer. Here is a link. I think you will like Brent. He wins, and Colorado needs a winner.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2008/jan/13/maryvilles-burnette-always-a-winner/

Call me crazy but didnt Embree say that we "ARENT RECRUITING FROM THE JUCO RANKS ANYMORE" "BECAUSE THEY ALWAYS HAVE TROUBLE GETTING INTO CU"

Call me crazy but didnt Embree say that we "ARENT RECRUITING FROM THE JUCO RANKS ANYMORE" "BECAUSE THEY ALWAYS HAVE TROUBLE GETTING INTO CU"

I don't remember reading that. I remember him saying he wouldn't focus there. In this case, we're talking about a full qualifier out of high school who graduated early from his JC with nearly a 4.0 grade point average. In the selective cases when we go after JC players, this is a great fit. He's got the academic chops to succeed at CU, he can be at CU for spring ball, and he's at a position where we have a 3 year recruiting gap on the depth chart he can fill.

I don't remember reading that. I remember him saying he wouldn't focus there. In this case, we're talking about a full qualifier out of high school who graduated early from his JC with nearly a 4.0 grade point average. In the selective cases when we go after JC players, this is a great fit. He's got the academic chops to succeed at CU, he can be at CU for spring ball, and he's at a position where we have a 3 year recruiting gap on the depth chart he can fill.

I'm pretty sure he said it on buffzone or the cu website which is pretty much the same stories. But I figured they'd make an exception at this position and they probably will at corner too if they don't get a move on.

Do any of you know who Randal Cobb is? He's that awesome WR at the University of Kentucky. Well, when he was in high school he played quarterback. His teams went 55-5 and won four 2A state championships. All 5 of his loses at Alcoa High School in Alcoa, TN came to teams that won state championships in higher classifications. Four of those loses came to Maryville High School, which is about 4 miles from Alcoa. It's the biggest rivalry in the state of Tennessee. The QB of those Maryville teams was Brent Burnette. In the four years he played, Maryville went 60-0. This kid is a winner. His senior year he completed 69% of his passes for over 3,500 yards, 38 touchdowns and only 7 picks. He was named Class 4A Mr. Football. He had offers from North Carolina, Virginia, as well as MTSU. He went to Middle Tennessee, because he thought he would get to play in a pro style offense. However, they switched to the spread, so he decided to transfer. Here is a link. I think you will like Brent. He wins, and Colorado needs a winner.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2008/jan/13/maryvilles-burnette-always-a-winner/

This makes me feel better about this commit. If he got offers from both Virginia and North Carolina it puts him into being respected by at least a couple of AQ conference schools. As a JC transfer he has the experience to provide at worst some experience as a back-up and a guy who can push TH and NH. At the same time he is far enough along in his eligibility that he isn't going to look like an obstacle to a potential major freshman recruit next year when Embree and Bienemy have time to actually go to work building the roster that they really want to have.

Back