What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'11 TNFR QB Connor Wood (Signed to Colorado)

Can't Wood practice with the team this year? If so, wouldn't Hirschman only have 1 more month of practice in this system than Wood come next fall?

Spring, summer 7ons and fall camp. Plus, I was also referencing his familiarity with the players on the team. It gives you a leg up if you know your WRs better.

I'd expect Wood to run scout team this year, so he won't actually be getting into the playbook that much until after the season. (Man do we need those extra practices from a bowl game.) One way scout team will help Wood is that he'll get to work a lot with guys like Vincent (and even Pugh) who should end up making a major move on the depth chart for next season.

I bet Wood will be our starter next year

Wood has alot of potential, but from what i have seen from the texas spring(u can watch it at EsPN3.com). He is no automatic starter. It should be an interesting comptition. Right now the advantage goes to Hirschman, because of familiarity of the system. If i had to bet, the job will be Hirschman to lose.

Last edited:
I think the odds look like this 50 Wood 40 Hirsh 10 Dillon. Wood is probably more athletically gifted while Hirsch has system familiarity. It may also workout that Hirsh has the job for the first few games and if he doesn't excel Wood will overtake him. I actually like our depth at QB right now and I think we will be a very good team when Wood/Hirsh are SR's. I hope we can find another playmaking WR to pair with them.

Hirschman has reps, but Wood is there now learning the system? Since Hansen got the majority of reps in the new system, this aspect may be overblown.

Hirschman has a spring/fall advantage in the new system and since it's a new OC who is figuring out the system himself, I don't put a lot of weight in that. Given the situation, familiarity with the system should not be a deciding factor.

I just want to see somebody step up and win the job outright so we don't have a season long competition.

I think the odds look like this 50 Wood 40 Hirsh 10 Dillon. Wood is probably more athletically gifted while Hirsch has system familiarity. It may also workout that Hirsh has the job for the first few games and if he doesn't excel Wood will overtake him. I actually like our depth at QB right now and I think we will be a very good team when Wood/Hirsh are SR's. I hope we can find another playmaking WR to pair with them.

I'd say 55/45 Wood or Hirsh
no way Dillon starts-

Hirschman has a spring/fall advantage in the new system and since it's a new OC who is figuring out the system himself, I don't put a lot of weight in that. Given the situation, familiarity with the system should not be a deciding factor.

I just want to see somebody step up and win the job outright so we don't have a season long competition.

Not to mention that Hirschman missed a lot of time during fall camp due to injury. The advantage he has is negligible, if it exists at all.

Familiarity in the system will be the same. Wood has all Fall, all Spring, and next Fall camp to become familiar with the system. If he can't figure it out in that time, he doesn't deserve the job. The only guy at a disadvantage will be Dillon. My guess is that Dillon redshirts and adds a little bulk to his frame.

Long term, I think we're set up very well at QB. I give this staff a lot of credit for that. They've made the necessary moves.

Familiarity in the system will be the same. Wood has all Fall, all Spring, and next Fall camp to become familiar with the system. If he can't figure it out in that time, he doesn't deserve the job. The only guy at a disadvantage will be Dillon. My guess is that Dillon redshirts and adds a little bulk to his frame.

Long term, I think we're set up very well at QB. I give this staff a lot of credit for that. They've made the necessary moves.

Dillon is listed at 6'5" and 185. Unless the 0-line dramatically improves by next September, Dillion would be in for a world of hurt back there.

Dillon is listed at 6'5" and 185. Unless the 0-line dramatically improves by next September, Dillion would be in for a world of hurt back there.
Tyler Bray at Tennessee was a twig when he was a Freshman but I'm not sure how there O line situation was. Heard on Rivals that Dillon may be an early enroller, no confirmation though.

Tyler Bray at Tennessee was a twig when he was a Freshman but I'm not sure how there O line situation was. Heard on Rivals that Dillon may be an early enroller, no confirmation though.

Lets not act like one exception proves the rule. Dillon needs to add 30 pounds, if not more. Hopefully he arrives at around 200.

Besides, the kid plays crappy ass private league football in high school, no way will he be ready as a true freshman.

Lets not act like one exception proves the rule. Dillon needs to add 30 pounds, if not more. Hopefully he arrives at around 200.

Besides, the kid plays crappy ass private league football in high school, no way will he be ready as a true freshman.
I'm in no way saying he doesn't need to gain weight, because he does but that shouldn't be the biggest worry. The biggest worry should be his tendency to throw interceptions.

He'll get a chance to compete. Ideally, you don't want your QB starting before his 3rd or 4th year. I hope we get there soon.

He'll get a chance to compete. Ideally, you don't want your QB starting before his 3rd or 4th year. I hope we get there soon.

I dunno, good QB's seem to usually be starting by their 2nd or 3rd years it seems. Darian Hagan (by default, but he looked great in soph year), Kordell Stewart, Tim Tebow, Vince Young, Terrell Pryor, Tommie Frazier, Peyton Manning, Josh Freeman are just a few of many great QB's who started young. I think if they have been starters or playing a lot early it only makes them and your team better when they are upperclassmen.

I dunno, good QB's seem to usually be starting by their 2nd or 3rd years it seems. Darian Hagan (by default, but he looked great in soph year), Kordell Stewart, Tim Tebow, Vince Young, Terrell Pryor, Tommie Frazier, Peyton Manning, Josh Freeman are just a few of many great QB's who started young. I think if they have been starters or playing a lot early it only makes them and your team better when they are upperclassmen.

It limits you when they're younger, though. I look at the Wisconsin model. Consider that we're playing a pro style and all the guys you mention are running QBs except for Manning, who may be the best passer in the history of football. Sure, if we have a special player like a Bradford or Luck then I'm ok with him starting as a 1st of 2nd year guy with the knowledge that he'll probably have us challenging for a national championship the next 2 seasons. But for the most part, I think that even a guy as highly rated as Connor Wood starting as a RS-Soph is the quickest I want to turn the team over to a QB.

From what i have seen from tape, Dillon is further along in terms of footwork than Connor Wood. Wood struggled at the Texas spring game. But both guys will improve and be players for CU. Both QB fit our system. It is easier for the likes of Kordell Stewart , Tim Tebow to earn early playing time, because they rely mostly on athlethicsm. Not every system or situation is the same. I want Dillon to come to CU learn the playbook, hit the gym, get his grades inorder, and he should be ready to compete as a red shirt sophmore, there is no rush.

Last edited:
Is footwork really that important at the college level?

It makes a big difference for pass protection that a QB is getting to the right depth at the right time. That also has a big impact on throwing on time for routes.

Beyond the drop, knowing how to slide within the pocket avoids sacks and buys time for big plays. Tom Brady, one of the most immobile QBs I've ever seen, is also one of the best I've ever seen at this.

Finally, stepping into throws and squaring to the target does a ton for both accuracy and velocity.

I'd probably say that you play QB with your feet as much as your arm.

It makes a big difference for pass protection that a QB is getting to the right depth at the right time. That also has a big impact on throwing on time for routes.

Beyond the drop, knowing how to slide within the pocket avoids sacks and buys time for big plays. Tom Brady, one of the most immobile QBs I've ever seen, is also one of the best I've ever seen at this.

Finally, stepping into throws and squaring to the target does a ton for both accuracy and velocity.

I'd probably say that you play QB with your feet as much as your arm.

good answer

Back